VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:05 AM

Anyone know what J.D.K. means?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:18 AM

Just Don't Know

(Nobody knows, seriously.)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:31 PM

Japan Dynamite Kids or Jumping Digital Kids according to this
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:46 PM

That passage ends with 「真相は不明である。」, though, so that may or may not be the actual truth.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:37 PM

Has a nice ring to it. If that's what it truly is, I can't say I'm disappointed.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 01:36 PM

w00t!

Old Jun 15, 2013, 04:10 PM
Trusted Editor

any backstory on that?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
any backstory on that?
It's just a print screen of a certain part of this video.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:01 PM

An interview in Falcom Music Chroncicle mentioned about JDK

So Masayuki Kato was asked what does JDK stands for and here is his answer:
"It's just like 'AKB' (smile), though I can explain to you in detail, it's not something interesting."

Followed by Mieko Ishikawa, said that "the question was once raised in Falcom's AGM, where Mr. Kondo(Toshihiro Kondo) answered that 'Although I want to answer this, we would prefer you understand that "there are things better kept secret"'. The shareholder replied that he understood and sat back. In fact, even Mr. Kondo didn't know what is JDK. (Smile) He said that 'I just answered what I know, and they understood me'. "

-

Again, 真相は不明である。
Old Jul 6, 2013, 03:38 PM

So essentially Just Don't Know is actually canon.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:05 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I like the page from the Chronicle Book where they talk about the inter-relation of various bands that some of Falcom's Arrangers and Performers came from...

Old Jul 7, 2013, 01:21 PM

They just don't remember what J.D.K. stands for anymore!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yo, Falcomheads. I was poking around the archives of Falcom's old MIDI site "Falcom MIDI club" after I saw it linked in the booklet of the Brandish MIDI Collection to see if there was anything interesting there. Aside from an old photo of Hirofumi Matsuoka, I also found four JDK interviews. Anyone ever seen these before?
They don't seem very in-depth or anything, but there might be some interesting tidbits if someone wants to translate them (I think Shirakawa says he did Vantage Master's opening and ending themes, for instance).

Last edited by CHz; Jul 26, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Whoops, left Ishibashi and Matsumura off the LoH4 list somehow.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Yo, Falcomheads. I was poking around the archives of Falcom's old MIDI site "Falcom MIDI club" after I saw it linked in the booklet of the Brandish MIDI Collection to see if there was anything interesting there. Aside from an old photo of Hirofumi Matsuoka, I also found four JDK interviews. Anyone ever seen these before?
They don't seem very in-depth or anything, but there might be some interesting tidbits if someone wants to translate them (I think Shirakawa says he did Vantage Master's opening and ending themes, for instance).

Have you struck gold, CHz?! This blows my Hayato Sonoda's discoveries out of the water! Unfortunately I don't know Japanese (I'm beginning to learn it, though), but I can try to pass this to someone else. Maybe Floofy is interested.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If I get it correctly...

VM:
Shirakawa did mainly S.E., also the opening. Did the ending too but was rejected.
Sonoda and Ohara did music. Their senior's songs [ie.- not theirs] they liked were the snow stage (Sonoda/Ohara) and the volcano (Ohara).

LOV4/LOV5:
They talk about recommended listens (Shirakawa: events; Sonoda: events, opening/ending; Ishibashi: events, battles; Matsumura: battles, dungeons, etc) and whatnot, nothing direct.
Sonoda talks about S.E. in LOV5.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I initially thought it was members at the time like Yukihiro Jindo for J. Jindo was around in 1985, when the name started to float around, right?

I also remember asking a Falcom representative over email a long time ago about that. The response was that so much time had passed, and since the original people who were around during J.D.K.'s time were no longer at the company, nobody currently at the company really knew anymore.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:12 AM

personally, I always thought that J was a phonotypo for G
-sound team Guitar.Drums.Keyboards
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:30 AM

The four members, with the Falcom president, I think. Taken from their mobypicture account.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:49 PM

jdkluv is back in full force!

Bigger photo here.

The photo is from 2011, so there should be 3 composers (Sonoda, Unisaga and Momiyama). I can definitely identify Momiyama behind blurry Sonoda-san's ponytail (damn Sonoda, you're fast!), and I *think* Unisaga is the white guy with the black tie.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 09:18 PM

Hashimoto has not been a member since early 2016, and as far as I can tell, may not have contributed to any soundtracks at all.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
—The staff interview page on Falcom’s official website has a new sound creator listed on it that has joined the company in 2019. Have we heard any of the music he’s been involved with in any of the company’s releases yet?

Kondo: “A good observation, but his work has yet to show up.”
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/falc...-west-and-more
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:36 AM

That's Shuntaro Koguchi / 古口駿太郎 (interview, translation), who previously did quality assurance for Ys IX. He says in his interview that he was mainly in charge of debugging during his first year at Falcom. It appears he's a jazz pianist.

He sounds like a passionate guy, but he also says they already rejected 10 of his tracks and wants to do scenario writing in the future, so who knows how long he'll last. Not like he can be worse than Singa anyway, and being inspired by Takeshita is always good sign. Hopefully he will be easy to tell apart from the others, Ys IX wasn't remotely difficult for the most part.

Too bad this means Unisuga will probably be back down to composing 3-4 tracks per game, like during the Momiyama-Osaki era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
Anyone know what J.D.K. means?
Just Directed by Kato

Last edited by 《J》; Apr 8, 2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:40 AM

I'm not sure if someone had already known but... finally I found the hi-res scan of sound team jdk member's group photo in 1992 from the album "Dragon Slayer J.D.K. Special" advertisement:
https://archive.org/details/micomBAS.../n202/mode/1up

here is my edited version (cleaned the text above):

https://imgur.com/a/hEaRDAL

Last edited by kotorain; Dec 3, 2020 at 12:44 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotorain View Post
I'm not sure if someone had already known but... finally I found the hi-res scan of sound team jdk member's group photo in 1992 from the album "Dragon Slayer J.D.K. Special" advertisement:
https://archive.org/details/micomBAS.../n202/mode/1up

here is my edited version (cleaned the text above):
https://imgur.com/a/hEaRDAL
Nice! Anyone want to break down who's who? Most obvious ones would probably be the guy in the middle with the Umbrella as Tenmon, and I should hope the lady needs no introduction to anyone reading this, so can take that for granted.

No idea about anyone else though.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenissimusDux View Post
Nice! Anyone want to break down who's who? Most obvious ones would probably be the guy in the middle with the Umbrella as Tenmon, and I should hope the lady needs no introduction to anyone reading this, so can take that for granted.

No idea about anyone else though.
The man at the right looks a lot like Kaneda in Music from Brandish 3's booklet (the guy with the glasses -- Kaneda himself confirmed it). As for the others, Nakajima and Matsuoka can also be inferred by comparing with their profile photos, so probably upper left = Matsuoka and bottom left = Nakajima. Tsunashima should be the one with the microphone, he mentions in the Ys IV J.D.K. Special interview (translation) his passion for singing and karaoke.

Excellent work as always, Kotora! Given Falcom's lack of proper crediting and their restrictions on employee appearances/representation, this picture is very precious.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 05:38 AM

The artist description says Falcom Sound Team jdk was founded in 1988, but there are several former members linked to this who were never a member, as their work pre-dates 1988. Should they be removed?

https://w.atwiki.jp/jdkmaniacs/pages/78.html doesn't list those people.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:38 AM

Albums in between 1987 and 1989 would generally credit music composition to just "Nihon Falcom" (with the exception of "Falcom Music Staff" in POLYSTAR's releases). "J.D.K." as a factual thing was indeed founded in late 1988 according to Falcom Music Chronicle, with Star Trader being the first game/album to ever mention it. But shortly after Kishimoto's J.D.K. BAND became a thing, J.D.K. got rebranded into "Falcom Sound Team J.D.K.", likely to differentiate both units from each other (this really did not work out). Krelia / Rie Sugimoto, Falcom J.D.K. BAND 1 and Music from Dinosaur are the first albums to mention "Falcom Sound Team J.D.K.", but we would not see this in games until 1991 due to the staff exodus of 1989, which lead Falcom's executives to refuse disclosing staff credits. Popful Mail, Advanced Lord Monarch and Brandish were the first games to include developer credits again, including "Falcom Sound Team J.D.K.".

I personally agree that people like Yuzo Koshiro, Takahito Abe, Reiko Takebayashi and Hideya Nagata shouldn't really count as members, as the sound team only really became a thing with Ishikawa and Kawaii. But I guess it all depends if you want to group "Nihon Falcom", "Falcom Music Staff", "J.D.K." and "Sound Team J.D.K./jdk" all together into a single unit/shtick. Then again, this entire thing as a concept is utterly pointless/essentially an excuse to not provide proper crediting, and lost any semblance of legitimacy as soon as Falcom started bringing contractors like Jindo into their actual soundtracks.

This page sums it up rather nicely, using Star Trader (J.D.K.) as starting point.