VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:50 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I found a back cover scan with the catalog number CSP/002 from ADV Music.
And this version have only 20 tracks..

Would be good if someone could confirm the existence of that CSP/001 version with 27 tracks.
Amazon sells the 27 tracks version.. but a confirmation is still welcome.

Last edited by Myrkul; Dec 28, 2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:25 AM

I believe that CSP/002 is the correct catalog number; CSP/001 was for another soundtrack from another film (I think).

Can't find info that sustains my claim, but I'm sure someone will eventually make corrections.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:52 AM

Apologies for double posting, but after reading the reviews given in the Amazon page for the soundtrack:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio D. Paolucci @ Amazon.com
[...]

The good thing about this CD is it has a huge track list (20 are listed on the back cover, but mine has 27, which I attained through the special edition movie). But the problem with this is that most of the songs sound the same. It's a good soundtrack, but not very well-rounded. Easily, the best song on the CD is "Jing Lin," the opening track. Other good tracks are "Drive in Istanbul," as it has the feeling as if it is being played right on the streets of Istanbul; "Ararat" is also well-done, and is the first real some to come along with a different sound than most of the other songs, and it constantly morphs into something different, from mysticism to techno to jazz.

[...]
After seeing the US print for KIMERA, which has a catalog no. of CKM/001, then maybe the CSP/001 is perhaps for this "special edition"? The reviewer makes it also seem as if the other 7 tracks are bonus seeing as they're not listed on the back cover.

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Dec 28, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

The "SP" in the catalog number does not mean "special" i think.. but "SPriggan".
ex: KIMERA is "KM", while Doomed Megalopolis is "DM". and the few other albums i did not add yet have also this similarity with the title.

Also.. maybe like blizzard releases, there are multiple catalog for the same album?
(the disc being 001 & the back cover 002)

So far ADV Music reprinted the whole soundtracks without adding or removing content, so i think it's fine to think this release have 27 tracks like the Japanese one.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:47 AM

I am aware that 'SP' in the catalog no. does not mean special... I'm certainly not ignorant, simply am pointing the possibility of the special edition being this "CSP/001" given the catalog no. on the back cover image provided. Clearly one can easily deduce the 'SP' stands for SPRIGGAN, more so taking the catalog no. for KIMERA as example.

As far as the special edition goes, ADV Films released in 2005 a 2disc special edition of SPRIGGAN, which included an expanded soundtrack, which I'm certain this "special edition" is from. The soundtrack with seemingly 20 tracks was released in 2003, so it makes sense this entry being the one enclosed with the 2disc special DVD. Here's more info on it.

EDIT: SPRIGGAN Special Edition (2dics)

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Dec 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 05:36 AM

Exclamation

After doing some research, I came up with two possible conclusions: 1) that this soundtrack has two catalog nos., which isn't impossible as far as we've seen here; or 2) that the catalog no. of CSP/002 is from the soundtrack enclosed with the SPRIGGAN Special Edition DVD mentioned earlier. I'm more inclined to believe that the latter is true given that the catalog no. for the SPRIGGAN Special Edition DVD is DSP/002. I'm going to add this edition of the soundtrack without a catalog no. until someone far more keen with catalog numbering could perhaps verify this.

Also, another aspect of this soundtrack that differentiates it from the original Japanese release is that it does contain 20 tracks, as the remaining seven are hidden.

Reference 1: (Under "Bonus Features")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III @ DVDtalk
[...] There's also the bonus Soundtrack CD, which contains 27 cuts in all (7 are hidden after the last track), with a total running time just shy of 50 minutes.
Reference 2: (Under "The Review!") - 2003 release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffani Nadeau @ Mania.com
[...] An interesting tidbit about this one though, the CD song title listing on the back of the CD only lists Twenty songs, however the CD itself actually has twenty-seven songs, giving you a bonus of seven songs.
As a last note, the US release has slight track name differences, most notably change of case. Since this is a child album I can't seem to make the correct edits, so I'm certain an admin or mod could.

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Jan 1, 2011 at 06:11 AM.