VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 1, 2012, 04:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
I did, what makes you think overwise? Like Cedille said, the artwork is beautiful. From a bit of Wikipedia the story sounds interesting. And we don't have to comment about the music -- since it's utter shit as we all know already *rolleyes*
Well, I love(?) the game. But the way the story, battles, systems or even graphics work... let's just say it's not for everybody.
I'd say everything is kind of great and bad at the same time, depending on how you look at it.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 04:54 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Well, I love(?) the game. But the way the story, battles, systems or even graphics work... let's just say it's not for everybody.
Sure, but isn't this the same for every (story-based) game? So, either the immersive effect works on you, or it doesn't.

Of course this also depends on how you approach the game. If you just say "Nah, I'm probably not going to like this, but trying anyway...", this will of course (mostly) ruin the experience. Sometimes you've got to "force" yourself a bit to get involved with the game. I experienced this myself when I started with my first Silent Hill game (SH2 IIRC). At that time I wasn't particularly fond of horror and my encounters with the other big horror franchise (RE of course) were mostly negative.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:46 PM

I went into the game fully intending to enjoy it, having loved SF1....but no, I ended up hating it (though I seem to remember the battle system was good and of course it's graphically beautiful).
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:02 PM

I was listening to the Piano Pieces version of Tobel today and just had a curiosity as to what that name really means. The names of the songs in SaGa Frontier 2 are in German and the game seems to have German names in it as well (Gustave is a character, Weissland is a place...). Tobel doesn't seem to be a German word, but I found some places that give an actual translation of the word.

http://translation.babylon.com/german/to-english/Tobel/
http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Schlucht

The Wiktionary page mentions it twice, once in the category Unterbegriffe, with (Waldschlucht) next to it, and then once being labeled as Schweizerdeutsch, which would indicate that it's Swiss Dutch, right? Anyway, both sites suggest that the word is a meaning of ravine or other synonyms. In the game, there is a place called Grand Valley. The game mentions that "Wil journeys south and passes through the canyons of Grand Valley", and both canyon and valley can be a meaning of this word it seems. So I thought Tobel might play in that area, but it's incredibly hard to know what I'm looking at when I watch "Let's Play" videos for SaGa Frontier 2, and I can't find the time in the game during which the song is played. The music definitely isn't played chronologically during the game, because of the way the game jumps around across scenarios, so it makes this very hard to research.

But does anyone think Tobel could possibly mean "ravine"? It seems like it does, even if it's not in traditional German.

EDIT: In addition to the Wiktionary links, here are some Wikipedia links, from the German Wikipedia.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlucht
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobel
Valley, gorge, etc seems to be the real meaning.

Last edited by Mortavia; Nov 9, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:50 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
But does anyone think Tobel could possibly mean "ravine"? It seems like it does, even if it's not in traditional German.
The german Wikipedia pretty much answers this question: Tobel
Definitely not a term that is widely used, but it describes a "cone-shaped valley with a narrow exit similar to a ravine".
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:52 PM

Aah! During your post I edited with that link and another. We are on the same wavelength I guess.

Well thanks, this is the meaning of the word then. Maybe we won't change it here but I'll definitely translate it for myself.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:52 AM

Wow... this thread is an odyssey. To throw in my two cents, I think this soundtrack is kind of just another good Squaresoft game soundtrack; nothing special or revolutionary, but a number of enjoyable pieces.

Really though, I'm just here to post that I fixed a typo in our German tracklist regarding the SSCX print. We had Weihaltor while the insert for disc 1 has Weihalter. I realize this is different in the SQEX print and the change might have occurred because of that. Curiously, we don't have scans of the disc 1 insert. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to volunteer to do scans Also, the tabs at the ends of the inserts write Saga Frontier 2 Original Soundtrack in normal title case, so I've changed that. The Japanese characters aren't present anywhere on the album except for the postcard (or the registration card, as we're calling it), and that appears multiple times as サガ フロンティア2 オリジナル·サウンドトラック, so I've made that change as well.

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Jan 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:41 AM
Trusted Editor

The correct version however would probably be "Weihaltar". "Weihen" as in 'to consecrate' and "Altar" as in 'altar' / 'communion table'.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:34 PM

Yes, I understand that this print has numerous spelling errors, that's why they've been changed in the reprint. I'm just changing the tracklist to reflect what's been printed on this SSCX version.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I deleted Cedille's scans since the set was incomplete and I had a complete set at hand. I hope it's alright with you, Cedille. I uploaded the old scans here just in case: https://www.dropbox.com/s/odtccqsrixanxct/33.zip?dl=1

Last edited by Nisto; Mar 6, 2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 03:37 PM

I feel like this soundtrack is 3 out of 5 for me. I've listened to it several times over the years and I appreciate the overall style and tone, but every time I play it again I always start thinking it's too long and not varied enough to be a great listening experience as a whole. The two main melodies get somewhat worn out, I think. And this is with most tracks not looping, as is the case on this album! In my opinion, a better approach would have been to have like five themes that would form the basis of a fairly equal number of tracks so there's about 15 apiece to change things up more. Or just writing more tracks not based on a theme would be an improvement to my ears too!

But I was thinking of how the style is quite worthwhile to hear from time to time and how I feel it would be better if it were just a single disc. Since I always start feeling drained at some point while listening, I'm not intimately familiar with anything after the first disc to pare it down to favorites or essentials.

So my request/challenge to those of you who love this soundtrack is, if you please, to try to give me a playlist that runs about the length of a single CD to create the best listening experience that can be had within that time limit. Now, I'm not of the belief that every track needs to be five-star material to make a great album and one of the things I enjoy very much about RPG soundtracks especially is the sort of dramatic arc that runs through almost all of them, having clear beginnings and endings. Sometimes tracks that aren't amazing on their own contribute to this arc and enhance the album as a whole, so if you feel there are any tracks like that, don't hesitate to include them, even if it makes the playlist run somewhat overtime. If someone wants to get creative and switch the track order all up to create a new dramatic arc that didn't exist before, that would be cool too! I'm trying to get the most I can out of this soundtrack and have concluded listening to the whole thing is simply not the way for me, but I'd like it to feel like I am listening to a full – though short – RPG soundtrack.

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries this.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:11 PM

Hi there! I enjoy this soundtrack, I believe I'm pretty familiar with it and feel I know the good songs from the... less interesting ones I've made this playlist based on my personal favorites and some choice picks that I think sort out the variation in the game's music. Like you talked about, not all of them are "five-star" tunes, but hopefully the selection rounds out the highlights of SaGa Frontier II nicely.

I've also taken the liberty of mixing the track order up a bit, so it's not so much a simulation of putting the soundtrack on play from start to finish, which doesn't sound like it's served you well up until now. I did try to keep a good flow though, so you'll still get a number of disc 1 tracks in the beginning. It totals about 71 minutes, which is hopefully the kind of length you were looking for.

2-01 Variation
1-02 Präludium
1-04 Roman
1-13 Trübsal
3-11 Einsamkeit
1-06 Rosenkranz
1-05 Majestät
1-17 Heimatlose
1-10 Naturvolk
1-07 Wunderding
2-19 Unmacht
2-11 Tobel
1-21 Durcheinander
3-04 Feldschlacht III
3-01 Interludium
1-03 Außenwelt
1-25 Thema
2-03 Tiefe
1-14 Abweichung
3-06 Eisklumpen
2-05 Zauberreich
2-04 Dithyrambus
2-02 Zaubermärchen
2-26 Zauberkraft
3-02 Flamme
1-24 Besessenheit
2-12 Raumkomposition
3-03 Andächtelei
3-16 Manie
3-19 Mißgestalt
3-21 Postludium

Here's a short list in soundtrack order.

Disc 1: 02,03,04,05,06,07,10,13,14,17,21,24,25
Disc 2: 01,02,03,04,05,11,12,19,26
Disc 3: 01,02,03,04,06,11,16,19,21

Of course, these are some random person's picks. Hopefully some of them gel with your tastes.
EDIT: I added Postludium at the end to sort of round out the full RPG soundtrack feel, since going back over your post I saw where you said you wanted that kind of feel in the playlist. Not a song I'd normally listen to, but it is needed to achieve that effect.

Last edited by RFGalaxy; Aug 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 09:04 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't have an entire list for you, but I'm pretty sure "Besessenheit" is my favorite from this soundtrack. All of my other most played tracks are in RFGalaxy's list too, though!

Last edited by Nisto; Aug 3, 2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:19 PM

Besessenheit is good! For me, it's hard not to pick Roman as my favorite, but Naturvolk is very high on my list as well. Roman, though, is probably one of my favorite things that Hamauzu has written. It's just so exquisite.

This is a good soundtrack, though I do feel a fair amount of the songs are more enjoyable during the game. I believe that around half of the playlist I created are my actual picks from the soundtrack that I listen to, but the other half is still quality music and definitely still has value, I just don't really go back to it outside of the game. Maybe this soundtrack is a bit of an acquired taste, but I enjoy it, even having only a mild enjoyment for the game (it's a strange game guys, come on ).
Old Aug 5, 2015, 06:56 AM

Well, I failed. I couldn't even decide which Feldschlacht I liked best This soundtrack is a joy to me, even if my ears do beg for a version with some actual dynamic range.

Last edited by student41269; Aug 5, 2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 07:22 PM

This is somewhat of a silly question, but I'm legitimately curious.

I bought this game back when it came out and I can recall hearing every piece included on this soundtrack but track 3-20: Angel Of Death. Is this a bonus arrangement or something? I just can't recall this one.

Also, as far as the game goes, I'm somewhat torn. I generally hold more nostalgia for the first SaGa Frontier (game and score) since I poured hours and hours into that one. SaGa Frontier II drove me a little nuts as I had to play it through a few times before I could even defeat the last boss.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It's the final boss' second form: https://youtu.be/8zAUm5hTIws?t=712
Old Jun 9, 2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
It's the final boss' second form: https://youtu.be/8zAUm5hTIws?t=712
Thanks. I see why I never heard it now.

Spoiler:
It's kind of like Xenogears final boss. If you beat the elemental bosses in the final dungeon prior to the final boss, it won't have access to these transformations and you'll never hear this piece. When I played the game I beat all the elemental bosses, which was a real pain in the arse.