VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:11 PM

It's odd, this game is the only place I find 処女 to mean otome. Everywhere else I see shojo. A couple different dictionaries have given me shojo, and every single Google result is about this game, even in Japanese page searches. When I search otome, I mostly get 音女 (unless it has to do with this game). 処 is sho, and 音 is oto... but maybe there's something I'm missing?

EDIT: Also, just looking up the characters, I don't get "boku", but "ane-sama".

Last edited by Medina; Sep 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:29 PM

Both "Shojo" and "Otome" means maiden, so the person behind this title would have gone with a less explicit reading for the furigana of 処女. I don't know about 音女, it has to be a coined word or such. Otome is normally written as "乙女" in kanji.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I think 処女/shojo means 'maiden' but more like 'virgin', while 乙女/otome is more general. So the 'otome' reading makes it sound more innocent, while the kanji hints about the game's content (this is an h-game after all)

For ane/boku, at a glance one could think an 'elder sister/ane' character the is 'me/boku' (main char) of the title, while maybe being a guy (boku is mainly used by boys). And the wiki confirms that indeed, the premise is that a boy enters a female academy disguised as a girl.

Just fun stuff they can make with 'false' furigana readings + kanji.