VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 5, 2010, 04:14 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am posting here but that concern the whole King of Fighters franchise (and probably more)..

We defenitely should standardize the Product field for all these SNK albums.
Some are Arcade, some are SNK Neo-Geo, some are SNK Neo-Geo CD..

- Arcade (MVS) & Neo-Geo (AES): both use the same soundchip.
So.. until the music is arranged, the original version concern both the Arcade & the Neo-Geo and both platforms should always be together.

- Neo-Geo CD: Many CD ports of the games had musics re-arranged (thanks to the CD format)
The "Arranged Sound Trax" are in fact the original soundtrack from the CD version of the game, so what should we do here?
Original Soundtrack -> Neo-Geo CD or
Arrange Soundtrack -> Arcade/Neo-Geo ?

About the Neo-Geo CD-Z, we should just drop that platform, it's just a tweaked version of the CD console with no exclusive games.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 07:19 PM
Trusted Editor

Neo Geo = Arcade. Apart from a different cartridge slot and PCB-layout both systems are literally the same. So IMO it would be sufficient enough to run all Neo related games under the product field of 'Arcade'. The MVS Arcade system was also marketed under the name of Neo Geo, the home console was just a 'fan service'. It's the same with releases like PCCB-00180: they are not representing the console version of the game, they are just Arcade related. So on this release the product field therefore even is wrong.

Concerning the Neo-Geo CD: AFAIK are the arranged tracks on the CD-games different from the ones on the Soundtracks. To be exact: the AST-CDs have extended versions. So it wouldn't be possible to put a Neo-CD-game in a CD-player, skip to track two and have the same music like on the AST. Thus this could also be dropped plus there never was a Neo Geo CD dedicated soundtrack release (as all refer to the Arcade version). Let's take PCCB-00211 for example: The game was just released as CD-game, but due to unknown reasons it never got an Arcade release. But most interestingly it has the OST music and not an arranged version. Same lame story goes for Oshidashi Zintrick (PCCB-00206), which also never saw the light of day as an Arcade release (but CD).
All in all my opinion is: drop the Neo CD from the product field.

The Neo Geo CD-Z just had the difference of a double speed CD-drive, so this one can be skipped for sure.

Another interesting part are releases like PCCB-00220. I'm quite unsure how to handle those, as they are not specific in reference and all possible consoles could be named (KoF also got Sega Saturn and Nintendo Game Boy ports ).

Last edited by suicider; Jul 5, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:03 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I know that Arcade & Home console are both called "Neo-Geo", but i did not want to put any confusion as most people does not know that fact.

It's true there are a few exceptions, and that Iron Clad album is quite unique.
It's also true to say that most of the PCCB titles were intended for "Arcade", and no home consoles.

But do not forgot we'r not neo-geo elitists, and most of our visitors will also search for the SNK Neo-Geo console (AES).
[would be really interesting to know if visitors search more for "Neo-Geo" than "Arcade" regarding the SNK games only]
So either we just put "arcade" for all the neo pccb releases.
Or we put both Arcade & Neo-Geo for searching purpose.

You'r right too about the Neo-Geo CD, but apart that "extended" part, it's really the music from the neo-geo cd's game.
But again, the PCCB catalog was made for Arcade.
So i am agree we should keep Arcade (or Arcade/Neo-Geo) and arrangement.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:04 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
Or we put both Arcade & Neo-Geo for searching purpose.
Sounds good

Quote:
but apart that "extended" part, it's really the music from the neo-geo cd's game.
Would be interesting to know, how the process over at SNK was at the time they released the CD games. I can imagine, that they did the arrangement music for the Soundtrack CDs. One (very weak) indication could be, that many ASTs were released before their respective Neo CD releases.
Maybe some of the liner notes contain some information about that stuff, but I can't read japanese

Quote:
So i am agree we should keep Arcade (or Arcade/Neo-Geo) and arrangement.
Sounds also good, as the Neo-CD is basically a Neo Geo AES with other media. Apart from that none of the exclusive releases got an AST (like Ironclad etc.).