VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 6, 2008, 05:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Made some edits:

1. Catalog: 5349 (and other variants including 5349-2, ACPICA-5349-2) seems to be the catalog number for Vol.1 of the anime DVD, which this soundtrack was also bundled with. The PIOCD stem is taken from some vendor pages like Rightstuf. It's more plausible since PIOCD is traditionally used by Pioneer (now Geneon) for their localized soundtrack releases.

2. Album title: again, "Vol.1" seems to be taken from the anime DVD rather than the actual standalone CD cover, so I've removed that portion.

3. Artists: Taken from Anison Generation

4. BGM credits taken from Geneon's former soundtrack homepage.

Interestingly, I can't seem to find an equivalent Japanese release for this.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 06:07 AM

Thanks for adding the info; I surfed moderately for some, but lazed up after 6-8 webpages. The info that I provided was indeed from the DVD (my nephew got a copy of it recently (Vol. 1), and I snatched the OST from him).

I wasn't sure about the price seeing as the DVD was a gift, and I came across a site that stated a release price - for the soundtrack - of $29.98 (USD), but I was unsure and went ahead and converted it in Yen. Probably should've went with "Enclosure / Promo".

Now that I mention that, should there be another entry for the soundtrack bundled with the OST, which is the one I have? They're the same, though...as far as I know.

Anyways, thanks again. =)

By the way, before posting this...

This is the DVD I am referring to. Amazon doesn't make mention of the bonus soundtrack anywhere in the page, though.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 06:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Is the bundled soundtrack just a disc, or does it come with its own jewel case? In any case we could add it as a child album / alternate release. If you have access to the physical disc we could check if the catalogue numbers match.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 08:15 AM

Not a jewel case but a cart-like slipcase (like something you'd receive a demo in). Usual content: frontal and back with tracklisting on the back.

And I honestly can't seem to see a number in the standard catalog fashion (letters-numbers), but just 12694. Quite frankly, I'm a bit confused after taking a gander at the Rightstuff link you provided where it states the OST has 38 tracks, mine only having 36. A mistake from Rightstuff's part, perhaps?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 08:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

How about the bottom of the CD, around the center ring?

The bit about 38 tracks could be a mistake, since I haven't found a corresponding tracklist. Also, does your slipcase have a Geneon logo on the lower left, like the image on the Rightstuf page?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:31 PM

No, there's no other form of numbering on the disc, just 12694.

And yeah, I'm guessing Rightstuff made a mistake, but if you notice, at the side of the page where it has the soundtrack's specs, it states the soundtrack as being 72 minutes long. It also makes mention the soundtrack having a song entitled "Wonder". The soundtrack I have doesn't have that song in particular; probably another mistake from Rightstuff.

Perhaps there are two versions of the OST? Promotional and commercial.

EDIT:

Oops! Forgot to answer one of your questions...

No, there's no logo present on the front cover; it is on the back, however (small).

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Oct 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Forgot one question...
Old Oct 6, 2008, 06:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I doubt they included "Wonder", since it's a B-side on the "Spirit Awake" single and doesn't seem to be used as either an opening or ending theme. It's not necessarily a Rightstuf mistake since the promotional blurb originates from Geneon themselves.

But yeah, the enclosure warrants an entry of its own. I'll add a child entry, and if evidence surfaces that the standalone release has a different tracklist, we'll split it then.

Edit: I've also switched the album in your collection, that'll save you some mouse clicks =D
Old Oct 8, 2008, 02:03 AM

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

It's probable that Rightstuff made a second mistake with the "72 minutes" description. As you said, hopefully we'll find further info to clarify this, so I'll scout the 'net from time to time for it and let you know.

Thanks for adding it to my collection, by the way. It is appreciated. =)
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:24 PM

Default Catalog # and Listed Covers

I recently acquired a copy of this album.

The version I have comes in a jewel case and looks to be released for retail (UPC 013023533523). The catalog # 5335-2 is on the spine, cd silkscreen, inner cd track, and the back of the booklet. I do not see the PIOCD stem. The booklet front is the cover shown on the 12694 version without the Geneon logo.

I will upload scans later this week.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Awesome, thanks for the information. I'll remove the PIOCD stem.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:14 PM

I checked the Viewtiful World single, and Viewtiful World is credited to "Viewtiful Joe" as a group, not as the character.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:03 PM

I just recently purchased this soundtrack for roughly $5 on Amazon.

Although the back of the album lists English versions for the three theme songs by SaGa, there is no English version of "And you" present whatsoever - it is merely the Japanese version accidentally in its place.

Other minor oddities range from a tiny (mostly unnoticeable) portion of "And you" and the English version of "Brighter side" clipped at the beginning, to at least one song, "Mounting the V-Watch," having a pop near the end of the track. While these oversights are annoying, they probably aren't worth mentioning on the CD's page.

I am certain that this is not a bootleg release, and to see whether I had an oddball copy, I searched the Internet for an MP3 rip of this soundtrack. Sure enough, these same problems were present in that rip. Unless someone else can verify that only certain copies of this soundtrack have such problems, I'll add a note about the lack of an English version for "And you" to the page.

Last edited by Jake; Apr 6, 2011 at 10:51 AM.