VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:29 AM

nextday: you saw that catalog or you added because you think tokuma put one catalog per disc?
TKCA-74110 etc is already taken
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

Oh, huh. I just noticed the big gap between this and the other one I added (TKCA-74120) and assumed.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:56 AM

I am curious what will be bonus material.
If there is one CD per score, 3CD are left for speculation. I hope it will be more unreleased score music and not vocal collections or something like that
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:05 AM
Trusted Editor

There is a good chance they could make it 1 cd per score and Nausicaa/Laputa/Mononoke Symphonic Suites. That is just pure speculation, though.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:47 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, I'd guess some of the symphonic suites or image albums.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:56 AM
Trusted Editor

http://www.7netshopping.jp/cd/detail...251097/subno/1

<収録内容>
1.風の谷のナウシカ
2.天空の城ラピュタ
3.となりのトトロ
4.魔女の宅急便
5.紅の豚
6.もののけ姫
7.千と千尋の神隠し
8.ハウルの動く城
9.崖の上のポニョ
10.風立ちぬ
11.天空の城ラピュタ(USAヴァージョン)
12.「パン種とタマゴ姫」(ジブリ美術館公開)
 『ラ・フォリア』
13.特典CD「魔女の宅急便」
 ミニ・ドラマ

So looks like:

1. Nausicaa
2. Laputa
3. Totoro
4. Kiki's
5. Porco Rosso
6. Mononoke Hime
7. Spirited Away
8. Howl's
9. Ponyo
10. The Wind Rises
11. Laputa (USA version)
12. Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess
13. Kiki Drama

Doesn't appear to be anything new but here's to hoping?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 07:51 AM

12. Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess

Score for 12 min short film on one disc?
Maybe there will be also music from other Ghibli short films composed by Hisaishi, but I don´t know how many are them. I think there is one from Totoro universe.

BTW Thanks for update dancey!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:19 PM
Trusted Editor

I mean, they did it before... so I don't know why they wouldn't do it again. Hisaishi hasn't done the music to any of the other short films except maybe Totoro but my guess is that just recycles his songs.
Old May 14, 2014, 04:33 AM

some shops seem to say it's a 25 cds box
Old May 14, 2014, 04:36 AM
Trusted Editor

There's no way. The promo image doesn't have that many and it would probably be 50% more expensive.

*edit* well, the promo image is actually the promo image of the BD box set but regardless, I don't think there's any way this is a 25cd

Last edited by dancey; May 14, 2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old May 14, 2014, 04:52 AM

I didn't say that should be changed tho
just saying for an unknown reason I saw 2 shops with 25cds when a lot of other shops have 13 cds

at this price, it makes like 1600+ yens per disc (for 13 cds) and like 800+ yens per disc (for 25 cds)
honestly, it's better for tokuma to sell 13 cds
Old May 14, 2014, 04:58 AM
Trusted Editor

Agreed. I also think they'd have a hard time filling a 25cd box set advertised as "Miyazaki + Hisaishi", because i think 13 is cutting it pretty close to their combined total works in terms of just soundtracks and I imagine they'd have a hard time getting the rights to fill it full of Image/Symphonic albums.
Old May 14, 2014, 05:58 AM

if I should make a list of 25 cds for a ghibli cd-box, it could give that:

3 - nausicaa ost/image/symphony
3 - laputa ost/image/symphony
2 - totoro ost/sound book
2 - kiki ost/image
2 - porce rosso ost/image
3 - mononoke ost/image/symphony
2 - chihiro ost/image
2 - howling castle ost/symphony
2 - ponyo ost/image
1 - kaze tachinu ost

+ cds from this box to make 25 cds

1 - laputa USA
1 - tamago hime
1 - bonus cd "kiki" mini drama

also, getting the rights?
but a lot of ghibli music got released by tokuma, I don't see why they will have trouble to release their own stuff or I misunderstood what you said
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:21 AM

On hmw.co.jp finally available BOX SET TRACKLIST
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:22 AM
Trusted Editor

If that's the actual tracklist, then it's:

1. Nausicaa
2. Laputa
3. Totoro
4. Kiki
5. Porco
6. Mononoke
7. Spirited Away
8. Laputa (USA)
9. Howl's
10. Ponyo
11. Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess
12. The Wind Rises
13. Kiki Drama

Which only differs in order from the original post. All the tracks have already been released, doesn't look like anything here is exclusive. I'll do my normal stuff when I get my box at the end of July.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:15 AM

I'm in the process of scanning this and I've got some questions about how to label stuff.
Every CD comes in a "mini LP" sleeve, and only the first two sleeves are what you might call gatefold sleeves, all the others can not be opened. The first three sleeves also come with a piece of paper wrapped around the sleeve. This is no obi, it's just a glued together piece of paper, with artwork/text on the front and back, that you can remove if you want to.
Here's a picture of the first one: https://i.imgur.com/zJ3R8Ph.jpg
What should I call the case, and that piece of paper attached to it? Also, is it necessary to distinguish that cases 1-2 are different from 3-13, and thus there are not missing scans when no "interior" exist for the latter?

This is going to take a lot of time since depending on how you do it, each disc will make between 5-8 scans.
I will however not be scanning the booklet, since it is bound like a softcover book, so I don't see any way to do it without damaging the binding.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:13 AM
Trusted Editor

It technically is the OBI, those are how they used to package vinyls with OBIs. Nausicaa and Laputa hard cases are both recreated from the vinyl packaging, as you can tell by the Side A / Side B for the tracklist. The rest are recreated from their CD versions as I don't think they ever got vinyl releases.

I would not remove the fake obi on Nausicaa / Laputa because it's on there pretty tight and you might break it trying to slide it off. I think scanning it with the "obi" on it won't be a problem, I don't think it really takes away anything.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:17 AM

Removing and putting it back on was not that hard, just took some careful work. I am scanning them both with and without the obi.
So then the question remains. What should I label the package as? Sleeve? Case? Something else?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:23 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm not sure, I have never scanned or posted scans. I would say Sleeve 1 ~ Sleeve 13 would be fine, with sub indications for the orientation, like Back, Front, Inner, Outer, Side 1/2 etc. Not sure, I'm sure you can probably find other albums in the database to use as reference.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:51 AM

Alright, that sounds good enough. I'll see if I find anything similar, and will label the paper as "obi". Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:59 AM
Trusted Editor

Only thing to note would be there isn't a need to supply both the front / obi separate and the front + obi together. I would just drop the front + obi together one and post front/obi separately.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:27 AM

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I have scanned the front & back/inside with the obi taken out, and then the front & back of the obi. I was just going to save the front with obi for myself since it's redundant to post here.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 02:42 PM
Trusted Editor

Edits:

- Added artists, all of the inserts are identical to reprints of the inserts for the previous albums so I pulled most of the information from the previous albums, with the exception of the vinyl releases, which don't have great scans and are mostly pulled from auctions but have the same information anyway, just in a different format.
- Added credit for Mai Fujisawa on the Nausicaa OST, she is the voice of the 4 year old on M-07 and M12 (uncredited).
- Added credit fot T.J.C. Orchestra and updated the original Nausicaa OST entry

Someone can validate against scans when BoneSatyr uploads them if they want.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:29 AM

Aaaand I am done with the scans!
Took quite a while to scan and edit 77 images. Enjoy!

I also updated the tracklist to look as close to what is printed on the releases as possible. The only exception is on disc 06. The track "アシタカ聶記" is printed with a different character (look at the scan), and I absolutely cannot find this character anywhere. When googling this, you either find "聶記", "セッ記", or you find "記", with a square in place of the first character, as if it is an image that is not available. The character is not even listed in my dictionary, so I don't know what is going on. The one I used is listed on a number of sites and seems to be a different version of the same character.

Last edited by BoneSatyr; Aug 14, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:00 AM
Trusted Editor

It's not actually a character in Japanese or Chinese I don't think. There is some grammatical information here:

http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%82%A2%...81%A3%E8%A8%98

And there's also some mention of it in the JP wiki http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%...83.8C.E6.99.AF

*edit* when I try to paste it into the forum box, it kills the post, but you can see it at the link.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:48 PM
VGMdb Staff

I assume you're going to add notes for this at some point?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks a lot for the scans BoneSatyr, they're awesome

Can you double check the tracklist for disc 5 (Porco Rosso)? Tracks 7 and 9 have the same name/time so I suppose it's a mistake.

About the character in the Mononoke soundtrack, it looks like this one... maybe. The top is a bit different.

EDIT: also, we usually change monospace characters and punctuation (like (, ・・・, 1 etc) to their latin equivalent, for example compare disc 12 with the Kaze Tachinu japanese tracklist, so they should probably be changed back.

Last edited by Illidan; Aug 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:11 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Thanks a lot for the scans BoneSatyr, they're awesome

Can you double check the tracklist for disc 5 (Porco Rosso)? Tracks 7 and 9 have the same name/time so I suppose it's a mistake.

About the character in the Mononoke soundtrack, it looks like this one... maybe. The top is a bit different.

EDIT: also, we usually change monospace characters and punctuation (like (, ・・・, 1 etc) to their latin equivalent, for example compare disc 12 with the Kaze Tachinu japanese tracklist, so they should probably be changed back.
1) No for Latin equivalent conversions? In the Latin tracklist, yes, but not the JP ones... The only reason the Kaze Tachinu tracklist uses Latin () is because the tracklist has very clearly no space between kanji and ( on the back cover.

2) can someone please revert all changed to the times? I specifically changed each time index so it was properly retrievable in EAC. anything with milliseconds > 50 has to get rounded up to the next second or it doesn't pull properly. It was only pulling the old database versions (like Nausicaa OST and Winds and Seeds, etc).
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
1) No for Latin equivalent conversions? In the Latin tracklist, yes, but not the JP ones... The only reason the Kaze Tachinu tracklist uses Latin () is because the tracklist has very clearly no space between kanji and ( on the back cover.
It's fine for me, but that's not the way it's done most of the time. For example the Laputa tracklist is crearly using 〜, but we use ~. Same with the Kiki one, we aren't using the "suspended points" or whatever they're called.
About the numbers, they actually look like plain ascii numbers in discs 9 and 11 so I don't see why we should use those.
Again I'm totally ok with it (at least when they clearly use them), but if we keep them here we should change them in the other tracklists too.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:21 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
It's fine for me, but that's not the way it's done most of the time. For example the Laputa tracklist is crearly using 〜, but we use ~. Same with the Kiki one, we aren't using the "suspended points" or whatever they're called.
About the numbers, they actually look like plain ascii numbers in discs 9 and 11 so I don't see why we should use those.
Again I'm totally ok with it (at least when they clearly use them), but if we keep them here we should change them in the other tracklists too.
imo it's just another one of those vastly inconsistent things across the database that doesn't really have a standard as far as i know. Personally, I have always tried to maintain the accuracy of the source language tracklist as much as possible. Most of the time, that's JP but sometimes it's English, etc.

I think identifying and correcting is probably too much at this point. I just try to keep it accurate going forward and if I see something I change it and then post why in the thread. I can probably update Laputa when I get home, or someone else can, but as we've seen in the past, it's likely to just get changed again when someone else comes in and edits it. There's really nothing to prevent that from happening and I think that's largely the issue here -- people updating stuff without discussing it or vetting it.

Regarding plain ascii for numbers, I think that is generally acceptable, except in the cases where you have those albums that have something like "TITLE (1) SUBTITLE (2) SUBTITLE (3) SUBTITLE" (90s Capcom/fighting game albums have this a lot). The difference between an ASCII '1' and a jp Unicode '1' (I can't type the unicode one at work) goes largely unnoticed.