VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:58 PM

Default When fate says f**k you.

Hi peoples, so like for the last 18 months I have spent time and thousands of dollars assembling a vgm collection to be proud of. Then last night I hear this huge crash and the shelving which holds my collection up decides to fuck me in the ass and give way leaving my vgm collection laying on the floor in a mess. Thankfully no discs have been damaged at all out of the 200+. however I do have alot of broken and cracked cases which has pissed me off to no end, so I ask if anybody is willing to give or sell lots of single cases, double hinged cases, quad cd cases etc for a fair price or whatnot, I would be eternally greatful.
Please msg me if you are able to help me.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 08:32 AM
VGMdb Advisor

My condolences about your now-dead shelving unit.
At least the "soul" of your collection can be mostly reincarnated and live on.
*leaves flowers at the door*
Old Oct 4, 2009, 09:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I feel for you my friend. For ultimate revenge throw the shelf into a bonfire and curse it to the depth of hell
Old Oct 4, 2009, 03:07 PM

This happened to me one time. I was sad for a few minutes then shrugged it off when none of the CDs suffered damage. Cases are inconsequential, really.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:02 AM

Ugh, I mentally pictured that whole incident word for word, and I fear that someday my shelves could give way, likewise, dread the thought. While I shouldn't be paranoid, I'll check to see if all the screws are secure, and shelves aren't starting to "curve" in the middle from the weight of the albums, about every month or two. I really don't want gravity to take it's course on my entire VGM collection, if I can help it.

There's something else that has disturbed me recently, and that is the possibility of "disc rot," wherein the disc deteriorates and, overtime, becomes unplayable at all. If gravity doesn't have its way with my collection, perhaps time might. Not sure how I'll defend my collection from "disc rot," though.

Last edited by Mario Kinnikuman; Nov 14, 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:25 AM

The only way you can be sure they're preserved without data rot is to rip them to your computer in a high-quality format, such as FLAC. It's a good way to get around all the dangers of using discs.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:02 AM

I am sorry about what happened... really glad it's "only" a matter of broken cases, it could have been much worse!

Did you hear that story about that person (I think somewhere in Asia) who collected books (can't recall which type of books) and all his shelves with books collapsed on him, and the guy was found dead under a sea of books days later?