VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor

...what is this?

I assume it's a best-of disc? Will hopefully also include music not released on other CDs (like the boss battles of the 3 add-on expansions)?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:45 PM

This was all I could find at the moment:
http://member.square-enix.com/jp/spe...scl=cotop_ff11

You seem to be right though. Based on what I could gather from a Google translation, this CD will feature a collection of the best music from FFXI. And it seems that the best songs will be determined by a vote. As for new music, none was mentioned, but we can always keep our fingers crossed.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Noriko Matsueda's contributions to the PlayOnline program has been added. Alright!
Old May 8, 2010, 12:58 PM

Interesting. It's only two tracks, but it is nice to see them included. I know the music is easy enough to extract from POL, but it'd be nice to get the rest of the POL music someday too.

The track selection looks pretty solid too. Although some of selections do seem a little surprising.
Old May 20, 2010, 02:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Nowhere in the packaging of the CD to they credit Matsueda for the PlayOnline music. How whack is that? Stupid S-E.

Also, whoever put the tracklist on this site initially had tracks 16 and 21 switched. I think that may have been S-E's mistake on the website. But the packaging clearly labels it and having listened to the CD ... yeah. Track 16 is Distant Worlds, 21 is Ragnarok.

Track times added. Scans coming soon.
Old May 20, 2010, 02:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The online shop where I found the tracklist had them mixed up indeed. Seems more logical, since the tracklist follows the add-ons release order. Surprisingly enough, this website credits Matsueda.

SQEX's booklets are pretty hollow lately. First no credits or lyrics in Nier, now no credit for Matsueda... what next?

Last edited by Zanasea; May 20, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 02:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well I'm glad at least the webpage mentioned her.

Really, this whole album pisses me off. This would've been a perfect place to put in more "unreleased music" (like disc 6 of the boxed set). There are a bunch of other PlayOnline menu pieces from Matsueda, as well as at least 6 pieces of music from Mizuta-san that were written for the 3 add-ons released last year.

Maybe they're saving that add-on music for a CD release that will have all that plus all the new music for the 3 "Abyssea" add-ons. But still ... I seriously just spent $30 on a CD for 2 minutes of music I didn't have before. I'm pretty miffed about it.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
I seriously just spent $30 on a CD for 2 minutes of music I didn't have before. I'm pretty miffed about it.
And why are you so surprised? It was perfectly clear from the start that this album was simply a best-of, with only 2 unreleased PlayOnline tracks. You could have save $30!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 03:41 AM

I didn't know "Flash/Web" was added as a platform. Should we use this for classifying PlayOnline?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 04:31 AM

lol 8th anniversary??? they just keep on milking it.