VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:22 AM

Found and bought this album out of pure curiosity without knowing that it was a reprint of the original album released in 1986 http://vgmdb.net/album/507

this is apparently a limited edition, limited to 500 copies on an orange vinyl, the second pressing of this will be available in january 2015 and are going to be released in black vinyl
Old Feb 15, 2015, 03:13 PM

Can someone do some research on the legitimacy of DOJO Music? To my understanding this is a bootleg manufactured by turntablelab.com.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 07:57 PM

Hmm, it seems no one can confirm otherwise. From what I've gathered, DOJO Music doesn't exist and is simply a subsidiary of Turntablelab.com. Turntablelab has gotten in trouble with licensing in the past, and I highly doubt this release was licensed by Nintendo. This is where the vinyl was originally sold: http://turntablelab.com/products/koji-kondo-super-mario-original-video-soundtrack-colored-vinyl-vinyl-7

I will be reclassifying this soundtrack as an unlicensed bootleg. If you wish to change it back, then by all means please prove the legitimacy of this release. Turntablelab releases bootleg records and passes them for the real thing.

Last edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan; Mar 1, 2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ultimate Mario Fan View Post
I will be reclassifying this soundtrack as an unlicensed bootleg. If you wish to change it back, then by all means please prove the legitimacy of this release. Turntablelab releases bootleg records and passes them for the real thing.
Thanks for the heads up. I was quite tempted to grab this.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 06:30 PM
Trusted Editor

Just adding this to solidify the bootleg classification of this. A little more research was done on Discogs by a user who posted this:

Quote:
I contacted Nintendo to try and investigate this reissue a bit and after hearing back, I'm quite sure that this is unofficial.

The relevant info out of the email is that: "All officially licensed products display the Nintendo Seal. On our website (support.nintendo.com) you’ll find a list of the various licensee companies from around the world and the kinds of products they produce. Here’s a direct link: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/licensees_brand.jsp " Here's an image link to the entire email to and from if anyone cares to read it entirely: http://i.imgur.com/INzajUn.png

Since this reissue does not display the Nintendo seal as 'All officially licensed products' would and since there is no mention of Do Jo Music or any record labels at all on their licensees page I feel there is sufficient evidence to say that this is and the other Do Jo Music reissues of this single are unofficial.