VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:06 AM

Default Recommended Touhou doujinshi?

I have so far listened to Golden City Factory doujinshi's arrangement of the Touhou series, and I really like their work. Are there any other groups of the same (or better) caliber that I should check out? The number of Touhou doujinshi is staggering, and it would be impossible for me to know what's good or bad. I know it's all a matter of opinion, but if there are other groups similar to Golden City Factory, please let me know. Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:00 AM

Doujinshi would be more of a term used for novels or mangas. Artist or writers who prefer to publish their own material. I listen to GCF as well but not as much as some of the other doujin artists I'm into. What kind of music do you like? Helps out a little if you could mention some genres you enjoy listening to and allows us to make some recommendations. GCF does have an electronic side to it so I could recommend a bunch of good doujins.

Sound Online - Tsukasa is a talented trance producer and has a touch for bringing in great piano melodies in his music. Pretty much anything hes done is worth checking out, primarily anything under the IBCD stems, appearances on well known circles such as Alstroemeria Records.
http://vgmdb.net/artist/967

Levo Lution - Lix is also another talented trance artist as well. Definitely check him out if you're looking to hear some amazing electronic arranges done in a professional fashion. Does a variety of arranges from many games. Spawning from the Touhou Series, Final Fantasy, Seiken Densetsu, SaGa Frontier, and the list goes on.
http://vgmdb.net/artist/467

CODE ZTS LABEL - This is probably one of the best circles or I should say artist because there's only one member and that's ZTS himself. I can't describe how amazing this guy's work is. Most of his recent work are the ones worth checking out mainly for the production. Does a great job and creating an atmosphere for the music and keeps it going throughout the song until the end. There's just way too many songs that I can mention that represent how good of an artist he is despite him being a doujin. Similar to what Lix does and doesn't arrange the same stuff all the time like some doujins. ZTS' style of music is mostly Trance but he's done some other music as well even for visual novels like Higurashi.
http://vgmdb.net/artist/959

Alstroemeria Records - Masayoshi Minoshima is the owner of this label and has pretty much done the majority of the releases that have come out from here. Does electronic arranges mostly in trance and progressive house style. His earlier releases have a nostalgia feel to them since they're almost exactly like the original songs from the Touhou series, which makes them a worthy addition to your VGM collection.
http://vgmdb.net/artist/1924

XL Project - This is another great circle that has been out for a long time now. Again, does a variety of electronic music ranging from trance, lounge, house, and etc. Features many different doujin artists such as ziki_7, koutaq, oiko, estha, and many others that you may find enjoyable.
http://vgmdb.net/artist/2368

MINAMOTRANCE - This circle here is among my favorite ones. Label is owned by Minamotoya who's the only one that releases albums, but occasionally appears on quite a few other albums with fellow colleagues in the J-Core scene. His style of music is J-Core as mentioned, except his music is more trancey as opposed to the other harder J-Core styles out there such as speedcore, terrorcore, makina, gabber, and etc. (Gaia probably knows more about J-Core than I do since I enjoy the less harder stuff, but I don't mind it really) Hes known to dabble with other J-Core styles though, but most of his music is like that. I recommend checking out his first album Lunatic Phaser. Great Touhou Trance album.
http://vgmdb.net/artist/2352

That's all I could come off at the top of my head right now. Here's a few more artists you can go check out as well. Make sure you check the websites out first if you wanna hear their music. Most of the time there should be free downloads readily available along with crossfades. You should check out the doujin scene in general since there's plenty of great music out there that's being put out by these artists rather than just the Touhou side of it. If you have any further questions regarding any of the artist mentioned or wanna know more about the doujin scene, feel free to ask me or anyone else here that's willing to introduce you into the world of obscure yet nostalgic music.

Hedonist & everyone on Delights music
estha
oiko
ziki_7
t.Komine
LV.4
MintJam
sun3
Amane
Tomoe Mizuki
SHIKI
I.N.T
Linjin
Tainokobone
syatten
REDALiCE
Alabaster
ripple
Masafumi

Last edited by eternal_tsukasa; Nov 26, 2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
What kind of music do you like? Helps out a little if you could mention some genres you enjoy listening to and allows us to make some recommendations.
Well, I'm into more of the 80s techno, electro, detroit techno with heavy use of melodic, lush synths, but I also enjoy trance that has a melodic aspect to it, not the anthemy Paul Oakenfold, Judge Jules repetitive bass (4/4 progressive house style) kind. Some of the soundtracks I love are Yuzo Koshiro's work on the Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle series and the Mushihimesama soundtrack.

Thanks for those recommendations. Do you know any websites where I can listen to some samples?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:08 PM

Sure! I'll post up various links. Youtube should have tons of music from the artists I mentioned. There should be also a few free downloads as I mentioned but I wouldn't mind pointing you out to them. Although I'm not too familiar with the artists you mentioned I'm sure you'll enjoy these artists since they're very talented and underrated in my opinion.

Tsukasa - Particles (Wonderful Touhou arrangement turned into a great trance song)
Tsukasa - Eternal Rite (This is probably the best arrangement of '幽雅に咲かせ、墨染の桜 ~ Border of Life' that I've ever heard. Features fantastic vocals from Aki Misawa)
Masayoshi Minoshima - 古の冥界寺 (Another good arrangement turned into a dance song)
Masayoshi Minoshima - 遠野幻想物語 (Here's another nice arrangement once again by Masayoshi. Retains the original of the song almost but adds a touch of dance music to it)
More Masayoshi music
zikee - Requiem of a Nightmare (This song gives me goosebumps when the synths come in. One of zikee's best arrangements)
Hedonist - Air in the Desert (This guy owns the Delights music label and has already started a series of trance and progressive albums under the name Linkup. If progressive or trance in general is something you like, then don't miss this label)
ZTS - A Vision (A very beautiful rendition of U2's, not the band btw lol, it's alias of a Japanese composer who did some of the music for a few of the later Touhou games. Very melodic song.)
ZTS - spiral ladder (This song is beyond words to be honest. Very crazy arrangement of Karen's theme from Fate/hollow ataxaria. Entire song from beginning to end is one memorable ride. Gotta love the break near the end of the song then the amazing climax kicks in)
Shime G - Kyoukaisen (Dub Mix) (Shime G has become another awesome electronic artist that I've been keeping an eye since I've heard this song. Progressive trance at it's best. Also a part of Delights music as well and has his own circle called Spielraum)
源屋 / Minamotoya - Flower Stream -Trancecore mix- (Here's Minamotoya with a trancecore spin off of a well known Touhou track from Perfect Cherry Blossoms. Not sure if you're into this kind of hardcore music but it's worth checking out)
源屋 / Minamotoya - 死体旅行 (Symphonic Hardcore mix) (Awesome symphonic hardcore right here. This is one of his most recent arrangements and is another worthy song to not miss out on)
源屋 / Minamotoya - 鬼喜快々萃夢想 (This is one of my favorite songs by Minamotoya. It's another arrangement of the same song in ZTS' 'A Vision', but with a twist of dance music instead. For some reason this song reminds me of Haddaway just because of that one sound that comes up in the beginning and when the chorus builds lol)
Lix - Legendary Wings II (Transparent Mix)
Lix - Tracing Route (M4A2 Mix)
Lix - Manoria Cathedral (Radio Edit)
Didn't drop a small thought about each of this guy's music since I already enjoy most of his work, so overall if you love video game music definitely do not miss out on Lix. Does arrangements from various games so I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy.

Now onto websites where you can download for free. Didn't think this get real long now.

Levo Lution (Lix) Right click and save as. He tends to update frequently with a new song every now and then. A lot of the music on there that's available for free is pretty damn good.
Sound Online (Tsukasa) The first half of the links will direct you to his Muzie page where you can download his music for free, while the other half are uploaded on his sites server. For the muzie page, it's the same you just have to right click and save as on the RED icon that says MP3 beside each song. Keep in mind that not all the songs are great as most of them are very old.
Hedonist His website seems to be not working for me for quite awhile now so you'll have to check out his myspace in the meantime.
http://www.myspace.com/delightshedonist

ziki_7 Wow I forgot to mention this guy earlier. ziki_7 does a variety of electronic music so it's not strictly stuck to one style the entire time. Him and along with estha and oiko are probably my favorites among the XL Project circle. I haven't downloaded much from his website but check it out and maybe you'll find something interesting.
A few ziki_7 songs
t.Komine I forgot to mention this guy along with a bunch of others, but here's an upcoming trance and techno artist that I've begun to enjoy a lot since last year. Has a lot of melodic songs that'll keep you movin'. This link doesn't have downloads but there's samples to his new album coming out next year. For downloads, click on the name next to CONTACT and you'll be directed to his Sound Garage where tons of tracks can be downloaded. If the characters show up all broken, switch the encoding to SHIFT_JIS. For IE I'm not sure what it was, but if you're using Firefox go to VIEW>>>> CHARACTER ENCODING >>>> SHIFT_JIS
Well that's all really have much to say for now. Don't wanna fill up this page with too much links and information. Again, feel free to ask me for anything else regarding the music presented or whatever it is you may need, or drop a PM and I can also work something else out as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by eternal_tsukasa; Nov 26, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 04:51 PM

Lots of touhou doujinshi here http://www.doujinshi.rocks/tag/touhou-project/