VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 19, 2008, 01:23 AM
Trusted Editor

So, who sang the Nocture track on disc 2, any info?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 04:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

There might possibly be a mention of a name in the booklet for the Japanese release - this page here. It's not specifically mentioned in the SOTN booklet either for some reason, like here, only a lyricist credit is given. Though the version on the SOTN soundtrack is in Japanese and this one in English, so it probably isn't the same vocalist anyway, even if the voices sound very similar.

Last edited by seanne; Nov 19, 2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 04:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The original singer for the Japanese version is Hekiru Shiina, which I've just added to KICA-7760.

That booklet page doesn't mention a vocalist. Only Yamane's name is shown.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:27 AM
VGMdb Staff

Interesting. Where did you get that from, Blah?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 07:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

She's credited in this Wikipedia JP page as the vocalist. She's the seiyuu for the fairy in SOTN: 悪魔城ドラキュラX 月下の夜想曲(妖精、半妖精). This listing (entry #154) directly ties her to KICA-7760.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 08:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

Thanks, that's interesting to know. I always wondered why no credit was given in the booklet...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:51 AM

Ichihashi apparently commented on tracks 25~27, and 26~27 sound a lot like his other songs on this album, so I personally mark him down for those two at least. 25 sounds more like an unreleased CnR track and the comment also seems to hint at that (edit: oh it is, it's on the regular ADX soundtrack, whoops), so I dunno what to do except consider that as KKC.

"Slash" and "Op.13" have been named correctly on this album, correct?

Last edited by lgb; Jan 30, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb View Post
"Slash" and "Op.13" have been named correctly on this album, correct?
that's correct.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:43 AM

I'd love some help just trying to understand which games all this Castlevania music really comes from.

So we have this album, and http://vgmdb.net/album/2938. This album seems to be representing something called "Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood". The other one is supposedly representing the same thing. But I see discussions about missing tracks, redbook audio, PC Engine sound... etc.

Then there's the multiple "Rondo" games that seem to exist. And the multiple "Dracula X" games as well. For multiple platforms. There's this
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turb...ta/589264.html
and this
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/data/563534.html.

Do both CDs represent the very same "Rondo of Blood", which is apparently for the PC engine or whatever?

This is probably very easy but I'm tired. And I don't want to come back to this and try to sort through release difference havoc haha. Obviously I've never played Rondo of Blood or Chi no Rondo or whatever it's called so I really have no frame of reference for what this is supposed to be.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:28 PM

@hellacia:

KICA 7622-23 is a 1993 original soundtrack 2 disc set. the first disc is the soundtrack for the 1993 DUO game "Akumajo Dracula X Chi no Rondo", the second for the 1994 megadrive game "Vampire Killer" (aka Castlevania Bloodlines/The New Generation).

**question: how can a 1993 soundtrack have the music for a 1994 game? Maybe the release date of the OST is incorrect?**

LC1609-10 is the original soundtrack for the PSP game "Akumajo Dracula X Chronicle" - it contains therefore the original music from the 1993 DUO game (included several tracks that weren't collected in the previous OST, basically all the non-redbook generated audio), and the 2007 arrangements used in the polygonal PSP exclusive version of Chi no Rondo. It also has some extra tunes from the PSP version of SotN.

Rondo of Blood was released on PCE DUO in 1993 and again in a PSP remake in 2007. So it was given two soundtrack releases.

the other game you are linking from gamefaqs is not Rondo of Blood. It's a 1995 SNES game called Dracula XX and it was never given a soundtrack release (although a couple of tracks are present on this cd: http://vgmdb.net/album/5034).

Last edited by The Gambler; Feb 27, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:12 PM

Okay, thanks, it all seems so easy now :P
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
the other game you are linking from gamefaqs is not Rondo of Blood. It's a 1995 SNES game called Dracula XX and it was never given a soundtrack release (although a couple of tracks are present on this cd: http://vgmdb.net/album/5034).
It is, however, a heavily modified port. Also, many of the same compositions are carried over from the DUO version, but they are obviously arranged for the SNES. There are also a few new compositions.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:52 AM

Something wrong happens on the front cover of this entry...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:47 AM

Flipped some covers to better represent their original positions on the actual album.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 07:15 AM

So, why did they choose to rotate the front/back covers here? The format is almost square anyway, so it's not like there's more room for anything by doing this. I'm a bit puzzled. Doesn't look very look when all the other Castlevania soundtracks are straight.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:48 PM

cotm & hod is rotated as well. "tombstone" layout.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:35 PM

The Nocturne in the Japanese release is the English version, right? The lyric credit doesn't really make much sense if so.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 02:27 PM

The Japanese release uses the English "Nocturne" because the Japanese version of the song is already on the SotN soundtrack.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 01:36 AM

Konami didn't have the rights to publish the original Nocturne in the West back then, so it's not that unreasonable to assume they may have rerecorded it for The Dracula X Chronicles.

EDIT: Though yeah, they could've easily included the rerecording in SOTN OST then.

Last edited by LaserMoai; Jan 26, 2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 08:27 PM

Not super familiar with the SotN score (only played the game once) but from checking my copy of this album with what's on Youtube, it seems like it's the same English recording as in the original game.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 08:51 AM

The SotN soundtrack uses the Japanese version, since that's all that existed (or all that was released) when that soundtrack was produced. The English version didn't exist (or wasn't released) until DXC, which is why it's included here. If YouTube only has the Englsih version grouped with the rest of SotN, it's because someone did like I've done in iTunes and swapped in the English version out of personal preference. Check the XA files on a PS1 SotN disc; there's no English Nocturne file present, only a Japanese one. The western version of the original SotN didn't even have a place to put the song, as that part of the game was removed in the west and didn't appear until DXC.

Last edited by JILost; Feb 2, 2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 09:00 AM

I knew about all that. I was just making sure, since the alleged "legal issues" with the digital SotN OST release make the description a bit ambiguous.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 04:53 AM

I see. I must've misunderstood what GeneralFailer meant by "rerecorded." I thought he meant it was in the English PS1 version and was wondering if the one here was a new recording. I'll plead ignorance on that one. As I said I only played SotN once and it didn't leave a great impression on me.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 09:18 PM

The Rondo of Blood tracks are re-recorded, or taken straight from the 1993 album?

Was the "AkumajoDoracula" typo fixed in later copies? I guess not.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 01:33 AM

This DXC album sounds flatter to me (especially noticeable on Bloody Tears). I actually wonder if you'd hear the same difference playing the PSP port of the game itself vs. the original PC Engine version. Granted, the compressed audio from the PSP is always gonna lose out to uncompressed Redbook, but I'm thinking about the mastering. Maybe they flattened it out because they knew people would be listening to it on the go instead of from their home setup?

Overall if you had the choice I'd go with the 1993 album even though it's missing the handful of non-Redbook tracks. DXC has some good remixes (Moonfight and Poison Mind are both fantastic) but those don't win out over having the full Vampire Killer/Bloodlines OST by a long shot.

Last edited by Aifread; Aug 11, 2020 at 01:46 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 06:49 AM

Thanks

I haven't listened to the 1993 album in a long time and I don't have it on hand. Does it also have those "last few arranged notes" that some of the tracks on discs 2 have?

What are the extra tracks? Either way, I'm just not a big fan of this soundtrack.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Does it also have those "last few arranged notes" that some of the tracks on discs 2 have?
Not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
What are the extra tracks?
25 is an unused track from the original Rondo which is also on the 1993 release. 26 and 27 are new arrangements, maybe unused(?) from DXC.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I haven't listened to the 1993 album in a long time and I don't have it on hand. Does it also have those "last few arranged notes" that some of the tracks on discs 2 have?
If you're referring to the X68000 arranged tracks (Moon Fight, Mother Earth, Loading & Simon's Theme,) then they weren't included on this release, I think they may have been exclusive to the 1993 albulm.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
If you're referring to the X68000 arranged tracks (Moon Fight, Mother Earth, Loading & Simon's Theme,) then they weren't included on this release, I think they may have been exclusive to the 1993 albulm.
He's talking about disc 2 of this release though.

Reading it again, I think Lux's comment comes from misunderstanding how Redbook audio works. It doesn't loop, so most of the tracks have "clean" endings to begin with, whereas other formats loop indefinitely and usually have to fade out on soundtrack releases. I think Lux heard those clean endings and assumed they were done that way just for the OST when they weren't and sound exactly as they do in the game.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 09:13 PM

My mistake, I misunderstood and thought he was referring to the arranged tracks on the older albulm.