VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:35 AM

Uploaded full scans and credit info.

Pretty nifty album, mostly because of Hataya's tracks, to me. He uses a style quite similar to Sonic CD, with groovy basslines and some voice samples, for example, but on the Mega Drive hardware (which gives it an added charm, actually). Fans of his work on Sonic CD (and of BO's work on Phantasy Star II) should definitely grab a copy, as, while not expensive, they're not that common.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:10 AM

Before this thread, I never knew this album existed. Hybrid Front has always been one of my favorite unreleased Mega Drive soundtracks, and now thanks to this release, it's no longer in the unreleased category! Hataya's tracks are superb and the Bo tracks are a nice bonus, they sound just like his Phantasy Star stuff. I have since won this CD off eBay and it's on it's way to me now. Thanks Kewing for starting this discussion thread or who knows how long it would have been before I realized this disc was out.

And wow.. I see that the actual VGMdb entry was posted almost three years ago. Don't know how the heck I missed it but I'm glad I caught it when I did.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:30 PM

Hahahah, nice to see I was able to help somehow! Hope you'll enjoy it as much when you get it
I was really surprised too, nobody had it in their collections even after 4 years since its release and being a Wavemaster album (we're talking about Naofumi Hataya, here). I discovered it last year, myself, when browsing on the DB for other works of his.
Then again, it's somewhat "rare" to find, at least my copy was: took me more than half a year of on and off looking to finally find a copy on Yahoo Japan. The wait was well worth it, it has quickly become a favorite among all of the purchases last year.

Damn, the Enemy Force Turn themes are so groovy.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:02 PM

Is there a reason BO isn't linked for this album? He isn't listed in the album's composer credits for some reason, but his commentary is all about writing the music for Super Daisenryaku, and he's the only sound person listed in the game's credits.

EDIT: Also, Advanced Daisenryaku includes a composer breakdown in the in-game credits: (snap 1, snap 2, snap 3)
T.M - Opening Music
Macky - Highland Laddie, Ending Music
Galapagos - Pax Germana, Pax Russiana, Pax Italiana
Jimita - US Artillery March, La Marseillaise
Bluetz Lee - Glorious Day

Last edited by djsquarewave; Dec 4, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 06:32 AM
Trusted Editor

i guess somebody just overlooked it. and I believe tracks 24-34 are the ones Bo did.

I wonder who T.M and Galapagos are though...

EDIT: I added the info the notes field, but I'm not sure if somebody will object the way I arranged it (to fit the info from the liner notes)

Last edited by dissident93; Dec 5, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks, looks right now. I too wonder about the other two composers, particularly Galapagos as his(?) tracks are the only ones worth a darn. They sort of remind me of Ippo's work on Phantasy Star III and Dodge Danpei. With Makino, Namiki, and Kubota contributing, you'd think there'd be some really great tracks, but no... it's all really bland, boring military march stuff. Fits the game, I suppose.

Ah well, at least the other two soundtracks on this disc are fantastic.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

T.M = Tatsuyuki Maeda, maybe

Galapagos is a totally new one on me!

EDIT: To save anyone else the trouble, I went through the old Wave Master profiles and no one has the game in their works list.

Last edited by CHz; Dec 5, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
T.M = Tatsuyuki Maeda, maybe
This was my first thought as well, but the earliest credit I've seen for Maeda is Golden Axe III, and the original release of Advanced Daisenryaku predates that by a hair over two years. Judging by his comments in the Golden Axe box set, he'd just started at Sega when he was assigned to work on Golden Axe III, so I very much doubt it's him.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

According to Wave Master, Maeda did music & SFX for Kuni-chan no Game Tengoku Part 2, which was released December 18, 1992, but even that's a year and a half later than Advanced Daisenryaku yeah.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:49 AM
Trusted Editor

yeah, I thought it was Maeda at first too, but like you said, he joined Sega in 1992. T.M doesn't fit anybody else at Sega at the time (1990/1991). (unless his/her given name begins with an M?)

oh, and BTW, I thought it was J.M at first, but Judy★Totoya is credited in the game with the same T font.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:17 AM

I was told by Hiroshi Kubota that Galapagos might be someone with the last name Aoki (青木). He doesn't really remember clearly.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:26 AM
Trusted Editor

the only Aoki composer I know that works/worked at SEGA is Chihiro Aoki, and she's a recent member.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
T.M doesn't fit anybody else at Sega at the time (1990/1991). (unless his/her given name begins with an M?)
Takenobu Mitsuyoshi? Though that's a big stretch for a different reason. He did work on at least one other MD game, though (Rent A Hero, where he provided the voice samples).

It could also be someone with M. T. for their initials, like Masanori Takeuchi (as an example -- that's also quite a stretch). Or just someone we've never even heard of under a completely different name.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 04:38 AM
Trusted Editor

how did I overlook him?? The time period fits, as Mitsuyoshi joined Sega in 1990, so you may be right.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 01:48 AM
VGMdb Staff

GALAPAGOS could be Sachio Ogawa, if one wants to pull letters from the name. He has a big missing space from 1990 to 1991, outside of Phantasy Star II Text Adventures and the MEGA-CD Startup music (although Okunari has said that it was Masafumi Ogata, so maybe someone somewhere got mixed up between Ogata and Ogawa). Actually, I'd reckon some one-off names like Last Battle's BOOTY, Super League's ROGE, maybe even E.FUGU could be him from similar sounds to Super Thunder Blade/Phantasy Star II Text Adventures.

EDIT: I suspect I mixed up Ogata and Ogawa as well just cause of names. Genuinly thinking about it, GALAPAGOS' songs don't sound anything like Ogawa's output. Plus, the name is similar to the GAS GES GOS name that appears in GOLDEN AXE II.

Last edited by Nicolaas Hamman; May 10, 2023 at 10:47 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 03:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If Hiroshi Kubota was indeed correct about GALAPAGOS being someone named Aoki, we do now have an identified Aoki who was part of the sound team at the time: https://vgmdb.net/artist/17058

EDIT: However, since I just checked the list and BLUETZ LEE is also there in Advanced Daisenryaku, Kubota was probably incorrect (unless there was another secret Aoki) and just mixed them up.

Last edited by CHz; Dec 18, 2022 at 05:18 AM.