VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:29 AM

Credited track 14 based on the booklet. Wasn't able to find a reading for the vocalist though.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 06:35 AM

Soichiro Otsuka
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:37 AM

Thanks Jormungand, I went ahead and changed it.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 01:26 PM
Trusted Editor

- Changed to M# format
- Fixed typo in Album Info (Mario Kelemens --> Mario Klemens)
- Fixed track title formatting (Flame and rain --> Flame and Rain)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
- Changed to M# format
- Fixed typo in Album Info (Mario Kelemens --> Mario Klemens)
- Fixed track title formatting (Flame and rain --> Flame and Rain)
You seem to have been reviewing the Turn A OSTs recently. Just technical review, or listening to them too? There's a lot of really stunning tracks from this show. Any standouts for you?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 03:53 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
You seem to have been reviewing the Turn A OSTs recently. Just technical review, or listening to them too? There's a lot of really stunning tracks from this show. Any standouts for you?
Not really reviewing, per se, just going through my remaining unripped collection and ripping them. Which means doing a quick spot check against what's in the database while I have the inserts, etc. in front of me.

I'm not a fan of the vocal stuff on these albums but the Warsaw Philharmonic stuff makes up for it. Tracks like White Falcon on OST2, Vesper Bell on OST3, and Girls rule, Tracing the Point of Light, and Springing from the Earth on this album are the reasons I bought them. . Probably the most cinematic stuff Yoko Kanno has done.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:

I'm not a fan of the vocal stuff on these albums but the Warsaw Philharmonic stuff makes up for it. Tracks like White Falcon on OST2, Vesper Bell on OST3, and Girls rule, Tracing the Point of Light, and Springing from the Earth on this album are the reasons I bought them. . Probably the most cinematic stuff Yoko Kanno has done.
Great picks. I agree that the vocal selections aren't a draw for this particular Kanno score; it's definitely the orchestral selections. I'd like to see Kanno on another dramatic mecha show, though it seems the industry doesn't make a lot of those anymore.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 03:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Great picks. I agree that the vocal selections aren't a draw for this particular Kanno score; it's definitely the orchestral selections. I'd like to see Kanno on another dramatic mecha show, though it seems the industry doesn't make a lot of those anymore.
Not to get your hopes up, but there will be a new Macross this year celebrating the 35th anniversary of the series. Macross Plus was Kanno's first anime score and she scored Macross Frontier for the 25th anniversary. Thanks to JASRAC, we already know that she has written two new songs for the 35th anniversary (only one has been released thus far). That doesn't mean she will score the next series though.

By the way, if you haven't already, you should check out her score for Naotora. It has that classic, early Kanno sound that has been somewhat lacking in her recent works. Definitely reminiscent of Turn A at times. It also contains her magnum opus: a 14-minute symphonic suite inspired by French impressionist music.

Last edited by cal; Jan 23, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 04:25 PM
Trusted Editor

Yeah but if anything, Macross leans way more heavily on vocal stuff as a series.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 02:24 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Yeah but if anything, Macross leans way more heavily on vocal stuff as a series.
Yeah but Macross F still had some of her best orchestral pieces to date, "The Target" being personal favorite of mine.

And "MYUNG Theme" from Macross Plus is one of her themes ever.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
By the way, if you haven't already, you should check out her score for Naotora. It has that classic, early Kanno sound that has been somewhat lacking in her recent works. Definitely reminiscent of Turn A at times. It also contains her magnum opus: a 14-minute symphonic suite inspired by French impressionist music.
I had gotten OST 1, and as a matter of fact just ordered the rest of the albums last week. Now you've got me pumped.

As for the new Macross, thank you, that has me hopeful. I wouldn't mind Kawamori returning to Escaflowne, despite it never being nearly as popular as the mega-franchise Macross. Either way, something about giant robots makes Kanno bring out the big guns when it comes to orchestral settings. She doesn't hold back.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 02:44 AM
VGMdb Staff

If you already have the first album, then you have a good idea about what to expect. I feel like the brass writing in particular sounds like "old" Kanno.

I'd be interested in a new Escaflowne too, but the series wasn't very popular in Japan due to being released at the same time as Evangelion. Either way, I'm sure we haven't heard Kanno's last mecha score yet. It might take a while but I'm certain she will return to the genre eventually.