VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:09 PM
Trusted Editor

Fixed the bad English translations on this one. Most notably properly capitalizing them in standard English title case (doesn't matter that the English written words in the tracklist are not like that). And changing "a wandering elf" to "A Wandering Fairy" because this is one of the few anime I've actually seen and the small girl (the one voiced by Houko Kuwashima) calls the robots "youseiiiiiii-kun", which is translated as fairy, not elf... The rest of the corrections were because they sounded awful in English.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
... And changing "a wandering elf" to "A Wandering Fairy" because this is one of the few anime I've actually seen and the small girl (the one voiced by Houko Kuwashima) calls the robots "youseiiiiiii-kun", which is translated as fairy, not elf...
it's very interesting, because in the english dub (ep2 @ 9:42) Hattie calls "Yousei-kun" Mr Elf ;p
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:36 PM
Trusted Editor

I saw the fansubbed versions back in 2001, and although yousei can mean elf, I still think fairy is much, much better. I don't have the series but I think in ep 1 or 2 they introduce hattie's grandfather, who makes little tiny faeries and elves out of wood or something, and I'd be interested in seeing what the dialogue is during those, or what they look like. I couldn't find any pictures, but I'd venture that they're more fairy-like than elf-like.

I'm no expert but I feel there's a very distinct difference between an elf and a fairy, and if they intended to use the word elf they'd use "エルフ" instead, which is what I've seen on a majority of things intended to be represented as "elves" (elfen leid, those who hunt elves come to mind).

There's even a clear distinction between erufu and yousei in the ja.wiki entries:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A6%96%E7%B2%BE
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%...83%AB%E3%83%95

I think it's fair to leave it as fairy and chalk it up to shitty translation by Bandai ><. Or add an alternative tracklist for the localization (if there are any other differences).

Anyone with more experience or fluency is welcome to chime in, too.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:52 AM

to me, a fairy is a sort of a little being with wings and an elf a sort of "link" or "zelda"

even if I'd prefer using fairy instead of elf for yousei, the problem is that yousei can be used for people which don't look like winged beings
for example: deedlit from lodoss is a "kaze no yousei"; she is an elf, not an fairy (edit: or the 3rd character in secret of mana)

Last edited by Phonograph; Jan 5, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:54 AM
Trusted Editor

Unlinked Sphere as an artist. The Sphere that performed this ED is not the J-Pop Idol Unit. The J-Pop Idol Unit didn't start until 2009, and this was in 2001. The J-Pop Idol Unit also doesn't have a male vocalist.