VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:02 AM
SaintSquall SaintSquall is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: France
Posts: 375
Default About titles (Animex, Ongakushuu, Kyokushuu…)

I open a thread about questions I have, and rules about titles. Anisonfan did a lot of edits about albums titles recently, and these edits make me react.
So Anisonfan, I have nothing against you, but it's good to talk about it with other members on the forum.

I notice you have added "Animex 1200" (and also Animex 1300, Animex 1200 Special…) in the display title for all the albums of this collection, but I think it’s really a bad idea.
"Animex 1200" is just the name of the collection and doesn’t appear on the first print, and also doesn’t appear on the cover, just on the obi. It would be better to put "Animex 1200" on the third line. Same thing for "Animex 1300" and "Animex 1200 Special".

In order to give another example, we have the collection "Columbia Sound Treasure Series" and it’s written on the third line, not on the display title:
https://vgmdb.net/album/81456

Now in my collection all the albums "Animex 1200" are together, I don’t like that, I prefer to have the albums in alphabetical order.

What do the staff and other members think about that?

Examples of edited albums :
https://vgmdb.net/album/24151
https://vgmdb.net/album/27012
https://vgmdb.net/album/99882


Anisonfan you have also changed the translation of "ヒット曲集/Hit Kyoskushuu" by "Hit Collection" instead "Hit Song Collection" for all the albums. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but I always saw "Hit Song Collection" for the translation. I've always heard of albums named "Dragon Ball Z Hit Song Collection":

https://vgmdb.net/album/42830
https://vgmdb.net/album/32145


Then you put "Ongakushuu" on the first line for all the albums with "音楽集" in the title:
https://vgmdb.net/album/52829

But personally I understood that we translated by "Music Collection" on the 1st line according to the guidelines, and that we put "Ongakushuu" on the 3rd line (the romanized line).
And on the contrary you put "Hit Collection" in 1st line and "Hit Kyokushuu" in 3rd line.

There is no logic. We have to agree on a well-established rule, either put "Ongakushuu" and "Kyokushuu" in the first line, or it’s "Music Collection" and "Hit (Song) Collection" first.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jun 30, 2020, 01:25 PM
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
Secret Squirrel Secret Squirrel is online now
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,086
Default

I had a fair amount of heartburn over these edits at first, but ultimately they generally fit in with our title practices.

1. Animex 1200 prepend

We have a fair amount of precedent for including the series on the title (mostly with older anime releases).

https://vgmdb.net/search?q=series

You do make a good point though about Animex not showing up on the front cover. It is pretty prominent on the Obi though. As these are all reprints, I would bet that they didn't want to redesign the cover assets, so they used the parent album's cover with minimal changes. I know we can't infer their thought process with any accuracy, and there are at least a couple of ANIMEX albums where they moved titles around, or made other changes. In the end, I am not so concerned about this because this is one series of reprints, and the parent albums are still in the catalog alphabetically.

2. ヒット曲集

This one is tricky. The phrase 曲集 translates to "collection (of musical pieces); studies; album; suite; ED" on WWJDICT. One rule we usually follow is to use any English text on the Front Cover in the display titles. Unfortunately, this has been rendered in English in many different ways on albums we have here:

All Sounds of.... https://vgmdb.net/album/199
(全)曲集 (Complete) Song Box https://vgmdb.net/album/7824
Music Collection https://vgmdb.net/album/68275

I think I am more in agreement with you on it being Hit Song Collection rather than Collection, maybe Hit Music Collection for non vocals.

3. Ongakushuu in Display Title

I did a quick search. There are 925 albums with 音楽集 in the title. Of them, only 354 of them have Ongakushuu in the display title (and some of those are recent edits by Anisonfan.) I know that in the past, as you said, we always translated any part of the title that described the album rather than the contents, so stuff like Music Collection, etc. I prefer that way myself, but there has been a slow movement away from doing this for years. I guess I don't have a good answer for this one right now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jun 30, 2020, 02:37 PM
nextday's Avatar
nextday nextday is online now
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
2. ヒット曲集

This one is tricky. The phrase 曲集 translates to "collection (of musical pieces); studies; album; suite; ED" on WWJDICT. One rule we usually follow is to use any English text on the Front Cover in the display titles. Unfortunately, this has been rendered in English in many different ways on albums we have here:

All Sounds of.... https://vgmdb.net/album/199
(全)曲集 (Complete) Song Box https://vgmdb.net/album/7824
Music Collection https://vgmdb.net/album/68275
That last example is actually 楽曲集, which I would agree with translating as music collection.

I would use these when no official title is given:
曲集 = Song Collection
楽曲集 = Music Collection
音楽集 = Music Collection

+ add "Complete" if it has a 全 prefix.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:51 PM
depa depa is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 745
Default

Quote:
ヒット曲集
or we have "HIT SONGS" only for example ; Another

Quote:
Animex 1200
We have it prominent also on Disc label, as happen as various famous label series.

Quote:
Ongakushuu
Honestly I'm always hesitant to translate as "Music Collection" apart when officially displayed.
I think the real point is "all or nothing", we don't have a database uniformity, it's just about user preferences and it's happen only for famous products/series (Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, ecc...).
Since I don't think newbie or external users search for "Music Collection" in search field, but by titles or at least by catalogue number, I think it's better to add standard romaji in first line, at least translation in fourth line.

Quote:
Music Collection
We still have tons of "ongakuhen" albums with this translation and it's not correct

Last edited by depa; Jul 1, 2020 at 12:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 1, 2020, 04:13 AM
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
Secret Squirrel Secret Squirrel is online now
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
We still have tons of "ongakuhen" albums with this translation and it's not correct
These should be "Music Compilation" (Or "Music Volume")?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 1, 2020, 08:16 AM
depa depa is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
These should be "Music Compilation" (Or "Music Volume")?
I think "compilation"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:50 AM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Hello,

many question on the same post... ok i will try to say something:

- I think that is not a good idea to display the artifact title "Music Collection" when the original is "Ongakushuu" because one loses the fact that the original title is "Ongakushuu" as the producer wanted to indicate, and not "Music Collection".

- Moreover, nowdays there are some old series (excpecially tokusatsu, an example: Flashman) that have both the "Ongakushuu" album and the (true) "Music Collection" album. To display both with "Music Collection" can create ambiguity.

- If there is the problem that one user can search "Music Collection" or "Music Compilation" or "Hit Songs" with no results, maybe a good idea to introduce some new feature in the search engine by matching, for example:
"Music Collection" with "ongakushuu"
"Music Compilation" with "ongakuhen"
"Hit Songs" with "hit kyokushuu"
In this manner is no more necessary to add a partially translated title, preserving the complete original romanized title.

Last edited by anisonfan; Jul 2, 2020 at 01:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jul 2, 2020, 08:38 AM
SaintSquall SaintSquall is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: France
Posts: 375
Default

Thanks for your answer Secret Squirrel, and for the other posts too.
I answer your 3 points:

1. The difference with other series on VGMdb is that the albums of the Animex 1200 collection at the base were not in a series and are all reprints. This is why it bothers me to have "Animex 1200" in the display title.
The fact is that if we only have "Animex 1200" in the 3rd line, we can always find these albums with the search engine.

2. Yes so it wasn't really necessary to replace all "Hit Song Collection" with "Hit Collection".

3. So if we translate well into English, it would be better to put "Music Collection" and "Hit Song Collection" in first line (as it was before on VGMdb actually).
But if we leave "Ongakushuu" in the 1st line, it would be better to put "Hit Kyokushuu" in the 1st line also for more consistency.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
I would use these when no official title is given:
曲集 = Song Collection
楽曲集 = Music Collection
音楽集 = Music Collection

+ add "Complete" if it has a 全 prefix.
I have the same opinion as you regarding these translations.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan
- Moreover, nowdays there are some old series (excpecially tokusatsu, an example: Flashman) that have both the "Ongakushuu" album and the (true) "Music Collection" album. To display both with "Music Collection" can create ambiguity.
I admit that you score a point here.
Is that why you don't put "Hit Kyokushuu" on the 1st line, because few albums are really called "Hit (Song) Collection", and so there is no confusion?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:30 PM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

- ヒット曲集
"Hit Kyokushuu" is used on Columbia albums to indicates a vocal album with normally 10 tracks. So, in that cases, is correct to think that Hit Kyokushuu is a song collection and not a generical piece-of-music collection. Columbia has released two (or more?) albums where Hit Kyokushuu is also translated as "HIT SONGS":
https://vgmdb.net/album/71440
https://vgmdb.net/album/83184
According with this translation I suggest to translate ヒット曲集 on Columbia albums as "Hit Songs", or show the original "Hit Kyokushuu" and the "Hit Songs" in the other lines.

Last edited by anisonfan; Jul 2, 2020 at 11:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:00 AM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

- ANIMEX 1200 (1300, special) series
ANIMEX 1200 is really a CD series, each volume is also numbered, and the Animex 1200 NNN is also reported on the sides and on the disc label. Moreover each Animex 1200 has a new mastering respect the previous releases. I think is a good idea to show the series and the number in the title.

- Columbia Sound Treasure Series.
As the name says also the "Columbia Sound Treasure Series" is a Series. It recurs on each Columbia page and subpage: https://columbia.jp/soundtreasure/ and is indicated in each CD obi.
Show the name series in the title can be also good to immediately focus on what one is dealing with.

Last edited by anisonfan; Jul 3, 2020 at 03:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:02 AM
depa depa is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
1. The difference with other series on VGMdb is that the albums of the Animex 1200 collection at the base were not in a series and are all reprints. This is why it bothers me to have "Animex 1200" in the display title.
The fact is that if we only have "Animex 1200" in the 3rd line, we can always find these albums with the search engine.
if we follow the same logic, all Dendou Twin or EP/LPs series (Action, Best Hit, Saishin TV Manga, Action Deluxe, Time Trip, Time Capsule ecc.) are reprints so they should not be displayed on top...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 04:56 AM
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
Secret Squirrel Secret Squirrel is online now
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
Moreover, nowdays there are some old series (excpecially tokusatsu, an example: Flashman) that have both the "Ongakushuu" album and the (true) "Music Collection" album. To display both with "Music Collection" can create ambiguity.
Can you give an example where both the Japanese text for Ongakushuu and the English "Music Collection" where intentionally written as parts of a title? Normally, I would think they are providing an official translation. You mention flashman, but this was the closest I could find: https://vgmdb.net/album/67773 but it doesn't have duplication of Music Collection.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 06:38 AM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Can you give an example where both the Japanese text for Ongakushuu and the English "Music Collection" where intentionally written as parts of a title? Normally, I would think they are providing an official translation. You mention flashman, but this was the closest I could find: https://vgmdb.net/album/67773 but it doesn't have duplication of Music Collection.
In Flashman for example we have these two different albums:
COCC-13584~5 Choushinsei Flashman MUSIC COLLECTION
CX-7274 Choushinsei Flashman Ongakushuu
Before my edits you read both with Music Collection, and this is not a good thing. This because the title for CX-7274 showed an english translation and not the original reading "ongakushuu".
Another example can be Maskman where we have MUSIC COLLECTION(s) and Ongakushuu(s) albums: https://vgmdb.net/search?q=Maskman+

We can also consider my idea:

- If there is the problem that one user can search "Music Collection" or "Music Compilation" or "Hit Songs" with no results, maybe a good idea to introduce some new feature in the search engine by matching, for example:
"Music Collection" with "ongakushuu"
"Music Compilation" with "ongakuhen"
"Hit Songs" with "hit kyokushuu"
In this manner is no more necessary to add a partially translated title, preserving the complete original romanized title.


The idea is to improve the search engine with suggestion tips.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 06:51 AM
Illidan's Avatar
Illidan Illidan is offline
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,272
Default

Can you please wait until we've reached some sort of agreement before changing more titles?

I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad idea, just hold off on it for a bit while we decide.
__________________
Anime | Music | Stuff
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 07:05 AM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Okay no problem... standby mode on... it was not clear that you were making a decision

Last edited by anisonfan; Jul 4, 2020 at 07:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 07:10 AM
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
Secret Squirrel Secret Squirrel is online now
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,086
Default

I don't see the problem with two different albums from the same series ending up with the same title as the English display title. It happens often enough when the publisher decides not to translate anything. The Japanese and Romaji titles resolve the difference.

Japanese just has more choices for differentiating things. There are words that they can write in kanji or one of the kana scripts. Albums with those words in the title would have different titles in a list, so easy to tell apart there, but we have no way to distinguish them here (other than doing something clever with capitalization.)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 07:47 AM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I don't see the problem with two different albums from the same series ending up with the same title as the English display title. It happens often enough when the publisher decides not to translate anything. The Japanese and Romaji titles resolve the difference.
Ok it was only my opinion, and I don't wont upset your thinking. Sincerely, if I mades a search with "maskman" keyword, I prefer to view the results with original reading (romaji) and not the translated titles. This because is more immediate to distinguish between the real "Ongakushuu" and real "Music Collection" without open any sheet. Same thing for the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Japanese just has more choices for differentiating things. There are words that they can write in kanji or one of the kana scripts. Albums with those words in the title would have different titles in a list, so easy to tell apart there, but we have no way to distinguish them here (other than doing something clever with capitalization.)
Surely, they have more choices than us
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 08:15 AM
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
Secret Squirrel Secret Squirrel is online now
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,086
Default

One thing we do have, in the user-preferences tab, is the ability to apply a site-wide filter so that it always shows title line 2 (original) or title line 3 (romaji) instead of the first line (display) for titles whenever titles are displayed (like in search results). Some people browse the site that way (though it makes it more challenging as an editor I think.)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 01:45 PM
SaintSquall SaintSquall is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: France
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
- ヒット曲集
"Hit Kyokushuu" is used on Columbia albums to indicates a vocal album with normally 10 tracks. So, in that cases, is correct to think that Hit Kyokushuu is a song collection and not a generical piece-of-music collection. Columbia has released two (or more?) albums where Hit Kyokushuu is also translated as "HIT SONGS":
https://vgmdb.net/album/71440
https://vgmdb.net/album/83184
According with this translation I suggest to translate ヒット曲集 on Columbia albums as "Hit Songs", or show the original "Hit Kyokushuu" and the "Hit Songs" in the other lines.
So this is not the translation you put previously: "Hit Collection". You will notice that the Japanese translated "ヒット曲集" in these (only) 2 albums by "Hit Songs", so they left the word "Songs", so removing it from your translations was not a good idea.

Leaving "Hit Song(s) Collection" in the titles therefore remains the best thing to do, with the most keywords to help the user through the search engine.

Then I don’t understand your logic, why accept "Hit Songs" in the 1st line and not "Music Collection?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan
- ANIMEX 1200 (1300, special) series
ANIMEX 1200 is really a CD series, each volume is also numbered, and the Animex 1200 NNN is also reported on the sides and on the disc label. Moreover each Animex 1200 has a new mastering respect the previous releases. I think is a good idea to show the series and the number in the title.
Yes of course that Animex 1200 is a series, still it is not indicated on the jacket (which is taken from the existing vinyl for each album, or at least the 1st print). I thought that above all on VGMdb we favored first what was marked on the front jacket above all for the display title. Because if we also have to consider the obi, the sides and the disc label of the album, that's a lot...

In addition with the atypical catalog number COCC-72---, between us Anisonfan you must guess for your part right away that it is an Animex 1200 album...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan
- Columbia Sound Treasure Series.
As the name says also the "Columbia Sound Treasure Series" is a Series. It recurs on each Columbia page and subpage: https://columbia.jp/soundtreasure/ and is indicated in each CD obi.
Show the name series in the title can be also good to immediately focus on what one is dealing with.
So in fact you want to put all the series names in the first line? Same as for Animex 1200, are we dealing with the title on the front cover or elsewhere? If there are several lines for title on VGMdb it is for it to be useful, no? Personally I prefer to see "Takarajima Original Soundtrack” in 1st line than "Columbia Sound Treasure Series Takarajima Original Soundtrack”, I find it heavy.

And here too I guess you don't like as it is currently presented? :
https://vgmdb.net/album/27972

However for me it's very good like that, to have the name of the series in the 3rd line is enough, no need to have it in the 1st line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall
1. The difference with other series on VGMdb is that the albums of the Animex 1200 collection at the base were not in a series and are all reprints. This is why it bothers me to have "Animex 1200" in the display title.
The fact is that if we only have "Animex 1200" in the 3rd line, we can always find these albums with the search engine.
if we follow the same logic, all Dendou Twin or EP/LPs series (Action, Best Hit, Saishin TV Manga, Action Deluxe, Time Trip, Time Capsule ecc.) are reprints so they should not be displayed on top...
I have the impression that you don’t have the same opinion as me on the subject...

However, you didn't either when you submitted the albums, you didn't put the Animex 1200 in the first line, nor the Time Capsule... And you didn't mind ...

And personally I haven’t put any of these series names in display title.

About Dendou Twin, it's different, it takes 2 or 3 different albums at the same time. As for Saishin Manga these are some compilations, Time Capsule series are reprints on CD (added by Anisonfan in display title too), and Time Trips are not reprints, they are mini CD which contain songs from 2 different animes.
And then these series are not comparable with the Animex 1200 series which contains a much larger number of albums to list.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 08:58 PM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
So this is not the translation you put previously: "Hit Collection". You will notice that the Japanese translated "ヒット曲集" in these (only) 2 albums by "Hit Songs", so they left the word "Songs", so removing it from your translations was not a good idea.

Leaving "Hit Song(s) Collection" in the titles therefore remains the best thing to do, with the most keywords to help the user through the search engine.
Between "Hit Song Collection" and "Hit Songs" I prefer "Hit Songs" according with those 2 albums and the contents that they represents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
Then I don’t understand your logic, why accept "Hit Songs" in the 1st line and not "Music Collection?".
I accept both ... but at this point the role of the "Display line" in the title box becomes an "English translation line" and we should need also to replace the tons of "Ongakuhen" and so on ..., in order to give uniformity and a meaning to the first line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
Yes of course that Animex 1200 is a series, still it is not indicated on the jacket (which is taken from the existing vinyl for each album, or at least the 1st print). I thought that above all on VGMdb we favored first what was marked on the front jacket above all for the display title. Because if we also have to consider the obi, the sides and the disc label of the album, that's a lot...
Unfortunately, often, the full title is not fully reported in the front cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
In addition with the atypical catalog number COCC-72---, between us Anisonfan you must guess for your part right away that it is an Animex 1200 album...
Yes it's easy to recognize at least for me, I don't hide it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
So in fact you want to put all the series names in the first line? Same as for Animex 1200, are we dealing with the title on the front cover or elsewhere? If there are several lines for title on VGMdb it is for it to be useful, no? Personally I prefer to see "Takarajima Original Soundtrack” in 1st line than "Columbia Sound Treasure Series Takarajima Original Soundtrack”, I find it heavy.

And here too I guess you don't like as it is currently presented? :
https://vgmdb.net/album/27972
I think the name of the series gives to the title the correct and precise location, both temporal and content.

For example if I read ANIMEX 1200,
I can immediately say that it is a remaster of a past edition

If I read "EVER GREEN SERIES" or "FOR EVER SERIES" I can immediately say that it is a compilation that has a song collection + bgm collection.

About Takarajima, let's take this title: https://vgmdb.net/album/58088
It makes little sense without "FOR EVER SERIES".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
However for me it's very good like that, to have the name of the series in the 3rd line is enough, no need to have it in the 1st line.

I have the impression that you don’t have the same opinion as me on the subject...

However, you didn't either when you submitted the albums, you didn't put the Animex 1200 in the first line, nor the Time Capsule... And you didn't mind ...

And personally I haven’t put any of these series names in display title.
Why Yes on the other lines and Not in the first line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
About Dendou Twin, it's different, it takes 2 or 3 different albums at the same time. As for Saishin Manga these are some compilations, Time Capsule series are reprints on CD (added by Anisonfan in display title too), and Time Trips are not reprints, they are mini CD which contain songs from 2 different animes.
Groups of 30 or 20 albums were released simultaneously also for the "ANIMEX 1200" series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
And then these series are not comparable with the Animex 1200 series which contains a much larger number of albums to list.
So, the number of albums in a series need to discern whether to add the series name in the title?

FINAL CONSIDERATION:
I think and hope that a new possibility offered by the system in the management of the "series" can satisfy everyone

Last edited by anisonfan; Jul 4, 2020 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Jul 4, 2020, 11:34 PM
depa depa is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
I have the impression that you don’t have the same opinion as me on the subject...

However, you didn't either when you submitted the albums, you didn't put the Animex 1200 in the first line, nor the Time Capsule... And you didn't mind ...

And personally I haven’t put any of these series names in display title.

About Dendou Twin, it's different, it takes 2 or 3 different albums at the same time. As for Saishin Manga these are some compilations, Time Capsule series are reprints on CD (added by Anisonfan in display title too), and Time Trips are not reprints, they are mini CD which contain songs from 2 different animes.
And then these series are not comparable with the Animex 1200 series which contains a much larger number of albums to list.
you're right!! but I evolved in mind after tons of entries, a logic order is needed. We'll see, if a system management could be added for those series.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Jul 6, 2020, 02:44 AM
Daemonskald's Avatar
Daemonskald Daemonskald is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 317
Default

Why can't we create a "Series" line that would work same as products represented; when you click on it it would redirect you to a series page where all related releases are gathered.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Jul 6, 2020, 07:06 AM
SaintSquall SaintSquall is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: France
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
Between "Hit Song Collection" and "Hit Songs" I prefer "Hit Songs" according with those 2 albums and the contents that they represents.
It's a bit light to trust a translation of only 2 albums by the Japanese... So you admit that your translation of "Hit Collection” is not a good translation for "ヒット曲集" finally?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall
Then I don’t understand your logic, why accept "Hit Songs" in the 1st line and not "Music Collection?".
Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan
I accept both ... but at this point the role of the "Display line" in the title box becomes an "English translation line" and we should need also to replace the tons of "Ongakuhen" and so on ..., in order to give uniformity and a meaning to the first line.
Regarding the translations "Music Collection" and "Hit Song Collection" in first line, I did as indicated in the guidelines and as the staff indicated to me at the start of my submissions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan
If I read "EVER GREEN SERIES" or "FOR EVER SERIES" I can immediately say that it is a compilation that has a song collection + bgm collection.

About Takarajima, let's take this title: https://vgmdb.net/album/58088
It makes little sense without "FOR EVER SERIES".
For this title, I admit that it bothers me less. First because the display title is kept short, but also because "For Ever Series" is written on the front cover; but mainly because this album contains new BGM compared to the 1st album released (CQ-7038).


Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall
However for me it's very good like that, to have the name of the series in the 3rd line is enough, no need to have it in the 1st line.

I have the impression that you don’t have the same opinion as me on the subject...

However, you didn't either when you submitted the albums, you didn't put the Animex 1200 in the first line, nor the Time Capsule... And you didn't mind ...

And personally I haven’t put any of these series names in display title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan
Why Yes on the other lines and Not in the first line?
Because the most important thing remains for me to indicate and favor the name of the anime in the first line.

I'm not the only one who submitted the albums this way, and before you edit the display titles, apparently it doesn't bother staff and other users.

The other lines are also used to put keywords (just like the series names) that can be found with the search engine by users.

Maybe you also prefer to have the name of the series in the first line because you classify your albums by series in your collection? And so finally it remains only a question of personal taste?


Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan
So, the number of albums in a series need to discern whether to add the series name in the title?
Given the large number of Animex 1200 CDs, I'm just saying that you have to think carefully before adding or not the name of the series in the display title, and editing all.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Jul 6, 2020, 01:03 PM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
It's a bit light to trust a translation of only 2 albums by the Japanese... So you admit that your translation of "Hit Collection” is not a good translation for "ヒット曲集" finally?
No, I can only admit that Hit Song Collection is not a good translation. This because "曲" means "piece of music" and not "song". So "ヒット曲" "Hit Piece of music" can simply be translated as "Hit".

So for me "Hit Collection" is a good translation. The other option is to use "Hit Songs" as Columbia does it in two (or more) albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
For this title, I admit that it bothers me less. First because the display title is kept short, but also because "For Ever Series" is written on the front cover; but mainly because this album contains new BGM compared to the 1st album released (CQ-7038).
...there are many others examples where the series plays a main role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
Because the most important thing remains for me to indicate and favor the name of the anime in the first line.

I'm not the only one who submitted the albums this way, and before you edit the display titles, apparently it doesn't bother staff and other users.

The other lines are also used to put keywords (just like the series names) that can be found with the search engine by users.
There are many titles where I added the series and I think many users have appreciated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
Maybe you also prefer to have the name of the series in the first line because you classify your albums by series in your collection? And so finally it remains only a question of personal taste?
it is not a matter of personal taste but of a matter of order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
Given the large number of Animex 1200 CDs, I'm just saying that you have to think carefully before adding or not the name of the series in the display title, and editing all.
Before to edit the large "ANIMEX 1200" series i've edited the smallest "ANIMEX 1300" series for the first 10 titles. And only after a pause, with no contraidications, I contined the work that I realized you don't like
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Jul 6, 2020, 02:13 PM
SaintSquall SaintSquall is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: France
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
No, I can only admit that Hit Song Collection is not a good translation. This because "曲" means "piece of music" and not "song". So "ヒット曲" "Hit Piece of music" can simply be translated as "Hit".

So for me "Hit Collection" is a good translation. The other option is to use "Hit Songs" as Columbia does it in two (or more) albums.
OK, I understood well your point of view. But it's rather strange that nobody here has corrected before in this case "Hit Song Collection", there are members who are very good in translation on VGMdb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
are many titles where I added the series and I think many users have appreciated it.
So you're in the minds of users and you know what they like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
it is not a matter of personal taste but of a matter of order.
If it's a master of order, you can have it with the folders in your collection.

Apparently there is only the 1st line of the title that matters to you and the other lines are useless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
to edit the large "ANIMEX 1200" series i've edited the smallest "ANIMEX 1300" series for the first 10 titles. And only after a pause, with no contraidications, I contined the work that I realized you don't like
You are a bit the type to have an answer to everything, aren't you Anisonfan?

Anyway if it doesn't bother anyone else, I suppose we'll leave it like that and I'll get used to it…
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Jul 6, 2020, 02:24 PM
Illidan's Avatar
Illidan Illidan is offline
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,272
Default

Just wanted to chime in and say we're still talking about these things internally and trying to come up with some guidelines to keep entries consistent. Will have some more updates about it soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonskald View Post
Why can't we create a "Series" line that would work same as products represented; when you click on it it would redirect you to a series page where all related releases are gathered.
This is a great idea and something I wanted to do for a while now. I'm just not sure of where to put this information in the album entry though, so suggestions about that are welcome.

I would probably still keep ANIMEX in the title given its prominence in the spine/obi though, even if we add that feature. I don't really think we've ever been concerned about alphabetical order in collections when deciding on an album title, that's more of a limitation that should be fixed on the collection side of the website rather than tweaking titles for it.
__________________
Anime | Music | Stuff
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Jul 6, 2020, 02:51 PM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
OK, I understood well your point of view. But it's rather strange that nobody here has corrected before in this case "Hit Song Collection", there are members who are very good in translation on VGMdb...
Surely there are... any point of view is welcome here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
So you're in the minds of users and you know what they like.
Otherwise someone would have rejected my edits but I think common sense got the best of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
If it's a master of order, you can have it with the folders in your collection.
The folders have been specially created to order a set of files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
Apparently there is only the 1st line of the title that matters to you and the other lines are useless...
How do you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
You are a bit the type to have an answer to everything, aren't you Anisonfan?
Do you already know me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
Anyway if it doesn't bother anyone else, I suppose we'll leave it like that and I'll get used to it…
Seems like not many others are interested in this topic, I hope I'm wrong.
It may be useful to collect more opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Jul 7, 2020, 06:27 AM
SaintSquall SaintSquall is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: France
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
The folders have been specially created to order a set of files.
Yes that's why I say that, they can be used to put away series for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
How do you say that?
I already explained it before, you want to have all the details of the title on the 1st line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisonfan View Post
Do you already know me ?
I don’t pretend to know you, I just see how you react here, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonskald
Why can't we create a "Series" line that would work same as products represented; when you click on it it would redirect you to a series page where all related releases are gathered.
This is a great idea and something I wanted to do for a while now. I'm just not sure of where to put this information in the album entry though, so suggestions about that are welcome.
The idea seems interesting to me too.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Jul 7, 2020, 02:04 PM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonskald View Post
Why can't we create a "Series" line that would work same as products represented; when you click on it it would redirect you to a series page where all related releases are gathered.
This is a great idea and something I wanted to do for a while now. I'm just not sure of where to put this information in the album entry though, so suggestions about that are welcome.
Good! I'm waiting for this new interesting feature! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
I already explained it before, you want to have all the details of the title on the 1st line.
I can assure you it's not like that. I reports all the info in original language line, in romaji line and in the so called "first line", which in many cases is a "romaji / english" hybrid, a real brain teaser .

Instead, I seem to have understood that you prefer to omit information on the 1st line and use the other lines as tag containers.

Last edited by anisonfan; Jul 7, 2020 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Jul 22, 2020, 01:49 PM
anisonfan anisonfan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Default

After some research I found other evidence to support the thesis that the Japanese prefer to translate "Hit Kyokushuu (ヒット曲集)" as "Hit Songs". On the other hand, I have not found any evidence regarding the translation "Hit Song Collection" ...











The previous ones are:
https://vgmdb.net/album/71438
https://vgmdb.net/album/83184

Last edited by anisonfan; Jul 22, 2020 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COCC-72036: ANIMEX 1200 36 Kamen Rider BLACK TV ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (reprint) Porter Album Discussions 1 Apr 26, 2017 12:13 AM
LACA-15533: Concrete Revolutio ~Choujin Gensou~ Shinka Kessaku Kyokushuu Daemonskald Album Discussions 0 Jul 23, 2016 05:07 PM
COCC-72075: ANIMEX 1200 75 Ultraman USA Music Collection ULTRAMAN THE... (reprint) depa Album Discussions 0 May 19, 2014 11:56 PM
Must-have indie titles strugglepoo Video Game Music Discussion 9 Feb 6, 2014 07:48 PM
Regarding cover titles Nisto Questions and Comments 11 Jan 8, 2011 11:25 AM