VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Buying VGM in Japan

I know this question has probably been asked before, though I might be thinking of SlightlyDark. I'm leaving for Japan in a couple of days for a vacation, and it would be really cool to check out a few places that sell VGM, particularly older 2nd-hand albums (I'd love to find a copy of Koei BGM vol.8, we don't even have scans for that.)

I'll be spending some time in Tokyo, a lot of time in Kyoto/Osaka/Nara, and a little time in Hiroshima/Miyajima. I can't promise I'll actually have time to shop for VGM, but I'm hopeful.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

From my own experience, Book Off is a great place to find 2nd hand albums in excellent condition and at a very low price. Since this is a chain of stores, you will most likely see several of them.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:22 AM

Otokichi has three shops in Japan. Two of them in Tokyo/Hiroshima, maybe worth a look
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Darn, looks like the one with the VGM is the Shizuoka one. We'll pass through there a couple of times on the train, but I don't know if we'll be able to stop there.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:03 AM

I'd like to repeat that Book Off is a good place to look. Usually you'll find common stuff, but occasionally there's a gem hidden there.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:34 PM

You might wanna try Super Potato, also because of the more retro-game related stuff there for sale. Maybe a bit pricey, but definitely worth the visit.
Also the Mandarakes are a good place to look for 2nd hand material. There's one on Shibuya, Akihabara and Nakano, and I found some affordable gems there.
K-books is right next to the Akihabara train station. Don't remember if it had much old stuff for sale, but given the proximity, you might want to consider to pay off a visit.
That's pretty much what I can think of, right now.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for all the input. I've mapped a Book Off near Shibuya station, so I'll definitely try there, as well as anything I see in Akihabara.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:56 PM

I don't know whether this is reflective of just the US Book Off shops, but I would like to put out the warning that I've seen bootlegs at my local Book Off. Hopefully the ones in Japan screen them out, but it's something to look out for at any rate.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Thanks for all the input. I've mapped a Book Off near Shibuya station, so I'll definitely try there, as well as anything I see in Akihabara.
If you happen to find Evergrace or Armored Core 2 for less than $80 each, I'll pay you to pick those up.

From what I've heard, Super Potato is ridiculously nice. Other than that I'm blissfully unaware.. I'm gonna ask around a bit and post here if I find out something.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
I don't know whether this is reflective of just the US Book Off shops, but I would like to put out the warning that I've seen bootlegs at my local Book Off. Hopefully the ones in Japan screen them out, but it's something to look out for at any rate.
I didn't see any at the ones I went to. I don't think bootleg VGM is very prominent in Japan.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 05:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Akihabara: Super Potato has a great selection.
Osaka: Game Tanteidan.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for all the advice. I'm in Kyoto now, but I plan to check out Book Off and Super Potato when I'm back in Tokyo next week.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Hey, guys. I'm back. I found plenty of places with VGM in Japan, but unfortunately didn't find anything that I wanted to buy, or anything anyone else wanted. Looks like I'll have to stick to YJA for now.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Hey, guys. I'm back. I found plenty of places with VGM in Japan, but unfortunately didn't find anything that I wanted to buy, or anything anyone else wanted. Looks like I'll have to stick to YJA for now.
Hope you had a good time anyway
Old May 23, 2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
From my own experience, Book Off is a great place to find 2nd hand albums in excellent condition and at a very low price. Since this is a chain of stores, you will most likely see several of them.
WOW!! That's what I did and that's the place to find some of your favorite VGM cd's at reasonable prices, but watch out for bootlegs! I've seen only a few of them!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 02:53 AM

some old posting but I'll still add my experience:

chains like Suruga-ya (A-Too) also tend to have huge collections of VGM available online or in their shops.

Prices differ quite a lot though depending on factors like rareness or popularity.

But there are still lot of bargains to be made!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 08:33 PM

Thanks for all the tips.

Regarding Suruga-ya, I hate their stock pictures, when they have pictures at all. And sometimes don't mention condition and completeness. This is why I've yet to buy from them. Same with Mandarake, I have this feeling I don't know what I'm buying.