VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:20 AM

Should this be listed as a reprint of SILENT HILL 3 original soundtrack? The tracklist is only off by one second, and the European version was released a few months before the US version. The Japanese version has an extra track not available on the other 2 versions, otherwise both the US and European versions would be reprints of that. Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2008, 08:49 PM

Bump to keep fresh
Old Jul 7, 2008, 04:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

There was a performer discrepancy in this one, but it looks like Melissa Williamson is just another name for Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:39 AM

The inner ring of the CD reads "DIDX-091065". I changed the catalog to this.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboMaverick View Post
The inner ring of the CD reads "DIDX-091065". I changed the catalog to this.
This has been up a few times before for other releases. Those DIDX numbers are pressing plant numbers (ID number of master created at Digital Audio Disc Corp.), and have nothing to do with Konami or whoever released other soundtracks which were manufactured by Digital Audio Disc Corp.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
This has been up a few times before for other releases. Those DIDX numbers are pressing plant numbers (ID number of master created at Digital Audio Disc Corp.), and have nothing to do with Konami or whoever released other soundtracks which were manufactured by Digital Audio Disc Corp.
So what should be done? If it's not technically a catalog number we shouldn't use it as one. However, if it serves as a unique identifier, perhaps that is information that could be useful.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
So what should be done? If it's not technically a catalog number we shouldn't use it as one. However, if it serves as a unique identifier, perhaps that is information that could be useful.
You're right about that, "matrix code" info is as unique an identifier as you get, but as said it's an internal pressing plant ID. The CD should just be listed as N/A or however you list discs without catalog numbers on this site.

If not, you'll get discs from different record labels listed as DIDX, which is hardly useful, but in fact misleading - they seem to come from the same company, while they just happened to be pressed at the same plant. I know there are a few CDs on the site listed with DIDX as the catalog number.

Whether you want to include the information somewhere else on an item-page is something to consider, but if you do, why stop with only DIDX codes? Why not list all matrix codes for discs pressed at any plant? Matrix (and IFPI) codes can tell a lot to the trained eye; country of manufacture, approximate time of manufacture, counterfeit identification... (But with this site I think it's not really necessary information.)

I suggest to just drop it, and leave all these discs as N/A.

A few notes to consider:

1. I guess DIDX codes were singled out for discs without catalog numbers because the structure resembles catalog numbers; letter prefix-numbers. But if you follow this way, you end up with catalog numbers like C2 176785-01 and Z35867#3SRC etc.

2. Some discs, even though there are no catalog number written on the inserts or disc artwork, DO in fact have the actual catalog number written in the matrix code (catalog numbers are very often included in matrix codes together with internal pressing plant ID).

For example several recent Capcom promo DVDs come without a printed cat#, but in the matrix code the code CAP-071115 can be found on a particular disc. You still need to be able to know how to pick the catalog number from the rest of the code which is not a catalog number, though - and keep in mind that many discs does not have a catalog number in the matrix code at all. In this case it was simple, as there are several Capcom DVDs with similar catalog numbers.

----------
One way could be to list the catalog number of the game it came with. After all, the OST is a part of a product, not a product in itself. That's why the CD doesn't have a cat#, it doesn't need one. (In this case it's a bit troublesome as it came with both the PS2 and the PC versions of the game, "SLUS 20622" and "23443" respectively.) But as this site focuses solely on the OST, I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

I suggest just to drop it, and leave all these discs as N/A.

(For the super-interested reader, I've written a general guide to CD manufacturing and the meaning of these codes/ when they are added to the master/CD: http://www.crimson-ceremony.net/pr3/.../intro_cd.html )

Last edited by Anders; Aug 27, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the info on DIDX numbers. I've moved that code into the notes field, and restored the N/A cat number.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:05 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Anders' Lost Releases has info on three more PC promos (1, 2), which just have slightly different disc art (copyrights etc) compared with this one. Should we add new child albums or just the info here?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 04:35 PM

Apologies for bumping this. I corrected the UPC for this particular release, since it was missing a number.

Like Dag said, a variant of this CD was also included with the US PC release of the game - I own both the PS2 and PC releases and can verify this. MobyGames has a cover, as well.

I'm unsure of what to do. I don't have access to my PS2 copy of the game right now so I don't know if the two disc variants were present in the PS2. I checked eBay and the disc has text that ends halfway between the 3 and the Konami logo; the PC version seems to have the text end just under the 3.

Last edited by Foxhack; Jun 2, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:59 PM

I'm a little unsure what are we trying to figure out here, but my copy of CD is the brown one, the same as the Disc scan we have on file. It came with PS2 version of the game which I still own and can confirm that that's what it was included with. If this helps...
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:05 AM

"Should the PC version be a child entry?"

Same contents, different artwork, different release date.