VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 6, 2017, 03:10 PM
Trusted Editor

Image and what little info I could find was taken from this listing: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t526599103

If anyone can make out the two tracks listed on the cover and add it to the tracklist I'd appreciate it. I'd be very interested in learning more about this if anyone can find info on it.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 06:40 AM

Added the tracklist.

Based on a quick search and quick read on the Japanese Interwebs, it seems Dragon Quest music like the one in question were used in Japanese schools (primary/elementary?). As implied by the album art, this album was used for school athletic/sports events.

As for anecdotal experiences, one Japanese person remembers hearing "Overture" and the orchestral version of Dragon Quest I's Field Theme at their elementary school athletic event.

Another person nostalgically recalls hearing a Dragon Quest IV Town/City Theme every day during the scheduled "School Cleaning Time" at his elementary school. For those unaware, Japanese school students clean their own schools (clean the floors etc).

Finally, one person recalls hearing the Gourmet Race theme from the Kirby series.

I wish was born Japanese and went to school in Japan and did track and field running to the music of Dragon Quest... :sad face:
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:29 AM

I won that auction, and so I can add the catalog number and price if there is one later this weekend.

Another interesting DQ vinyl which I don’t believe we’ve catalogued is this one:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r204331588

I tried but failed to win that auction, and so I can’t say anything about it.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 02:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Nice finds guys, Keep up the good work!
Too bad the other auction ended over $500, wow...
Old Oct 7, 2017, 02:41 PM
Trusted Editor

Thanks for adding the tracklist layzee.

And very nice Rrolack, thanks for adding the extra info. Never seen the other one you linked before either. Will try to see if I can track down info for that one.

EDIT: Added the other one here: http://vgmdb.net/album/72104

Last edited by rpbtz; Oct 8, 2017 at 01:18 AM.