VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:28 AM

Hi Administrators,

Please delete the fourteen track tracklist for this album. I accidentally entered it in before realizing that there was an unlisted fifteenth track.

I added a new, fifteen track tracklist to correct my oversight.

Thank You
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:38 PM

Question

Entry properly edited. I have a couple of questions, however:

Is track 02 from the [Gargoyles] animated series or the game?

The abbreviation for track 05 is for "A Link to the Past", correct? I'm positive it is, but just want to make sure.

And lastly, is track 11 original? The Legend of Zelda was my first impression, but "Black Knight" is just too broad of a name.

EDIT: Just wanted to make mention that the tracklist is inconsistent with the one shown on the official website (here). Was this one taken from the album?

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Jan 23, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:53 PM

Hi PsychoZeke,

Thanks! In answer to your questions:

- I'm not sure whether the "Gargoyles" track is from the animated series or from the game. I didn't see any official mention one way or the other on the site or on the CD case. I haven't seen the series and haven't played the game, unfortunately, so I wouldn't recognize it. If I had to guess, I would say that it is probably from the game (given the usual content of the "Now You're Playing With Powar" albums).

- As far as I know, the "ALTTP" does indeed refer to "A Link to the Past" (the track is definitely an arrangement of music from that game).

- "Black Knight" is arrangement of the theme from the "Black Knight 2000" pinball table (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKDvjVzpNQ and 27 seconds into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlSTr7uZT44).

- I did indeed take the tracklist from the album itself; until you mentioned it, I hadn't even noticed that there were some significant differences between the two! On the album, track 3 is listed as "without and then with Yoshi", opposite of how it's listed online (I don't know which is correct). Apparently, "Area 88" is the Japanese name of "UN Squadron", though I have no idea why it's listed differently online vs on the album. The last track is just listed as "SMB 3" on the album. Lastly, track 15 is not listed on either the album or online, but it is indeed present on the album, and is an arrangement of the Dr. Wily stage 1 and 2 music from Mega Man 2.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunbyheri View Post
- I'm not sure whether the "Gargoyles" track is from the animated series or from the game. I didn't see any official mention one way or the other on the site or on the CD case. I haven't seen the series and haven't played the game, unfortunately, so I wouldn't recognize it. If I had to guess, I would say that it is probably from the game (given the usual content of the "Now You're Playing With Powar" albums).
Does the track sound anything like this. If not, then it is probably from the video game.

Quote:
- "Black Knight" is arrangement of the theme from the "Black Knight 2000" pinball table (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKDvjVzpNQ and 27 seconds into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlSTr7uZT44).
Oh, from that. I rarely see pinball music getting arranged. Nice!

Quote:
- I did indeed take the tracklist from the album itself; until you mentioned it, I hadn't even noticed that there were some significant differences between the two! On the album, track 3 is listed as "without and then with Yoshi", opposite of how it's listed online (I don't know which is correct). Apparently, "Area 88" is the Japanese name of "UN Squadron", though I have no idea why it's listed differently online vs on the album. The last track is just listed as "SMB 3" on the album. Lastly, track 15 is not listed on either the album or online, but it is indeed present on the album, and is an arrangement of the Dr. Wily stage 1 and 2 music from Mega Man 2.
Perfect, the album's the one that counts.

Thanks much.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
Does the track sound anything like this. If not, then it is probably from the video game.
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'm actually having difficulty finding a match between the album track and either your link to the series theme, or a gameplay video of the Sega "Gargoyles" game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVZhyko3Rag). I even listened to some gameplay footage from "Gargoyle's Quest" for the Gameboy, and didn't hear a match there, either. One thing that I did notice, however, is that the music from the Genesis game and the animated series share some sections. Another thing is that, at the very beginning of the album track, you can hear someone mentioning that "you don't even start with full energy [...] there's gotta be a code", which definitely suggests a game, though (as far as I can tell from the gameplay videos), you do appear to start with full (or nearly full) energy in the Genesis game; hmmm...
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:56 PM

Well, the game does have an energy "regeneration" code, but certainly has no correlation with that phrase. Gargoyle's Quest seems like a long shot, too...

Due to the conflicting info...or lack thereof, we'll leave this one as-is for now.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:02 PM

Sounds good; perhaps someone else here will recognize it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:41 AM

It's Gargoyles for the Genesis. Track 8 in the game's VGM set on project 2162.
Composed by Michael Giacchino.
references: http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/gargoyles/credits
http://project2612.org/details.php?id=572
EDIT:
Quote:
Another thing is that, at the very beginning of the album track, you can hear someone mentioning that "you don't even start with full energy [...] there's gotta be a code", .
That's from the AVGN review of Milon's Secret Castle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMz7JkVplpM

Last edited by jmr; Jan 28, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:40 AM

Awesome! I was aiming to the check the game's soundtrack, but was occupied with other stuff, so I'm glad someone else took the time to check that out.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
That's from the AVGN review of Milon's Secret Castle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMz7JkVplpM
It's been awhile since I've seen his stuff, so I honestly wouldn't have caught the reference.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
It's Gargoyles for the Genesis. Track 8 in the game's VGM set on project 2162.
Composed by Michael Giacchino.
references: http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/gargoyles/credits
http://project2612.org/details.php?id=572
EDIT:

Nice; thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:59 AM

Also, with regards to the hidden bonus track: Shawn stated in the release thread on chipmusic.org that it's a collaboration:
Quote:
there is of course a hidden track as well, i'll give a hint, its an unbelieveable teamup that you would probably expect at this point, heh. ill mention that its with a person who i recently teamed up with in another country, but that sorta gives it away.
I THINK he's implying that it's a collaboration with Wire (of Game Over). As far as I know, he hasn't clearly stated who it's with, but it's fairly obvious (to anyone who knows about his stay in Sweden) who he's talking about.

Not sure how to go about crediting her, given as she's uncredited in the liner notes and there's no reliable source 'explicitly' stating her involvement, so I'll leave this one to you guys.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:45 AM

That's an interesting tidbit. Do you happen to be able to communicate with Shawn so that you could ask him? It would certainly be great to know who explicitly he's referring to in order to give proper credit.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:03 PM

hey there. to clear up some speculation about the tracklisting, i abbreviated the tracktitles because i wanted to leave a little something to the imagination for the listener. those were the working titles for the songs, so i felt it was appropriate to name them as such for posterity, this is usually what happens with nypwp releases. for the first few albums, i didnt even like to give listeners a tracklist, so i guess this is my way at this point of getting around that, hehe.

jmr hit it on the head with both of the other points, both with gargoyles, but track 15 is actually a collab with goto80 from sweden, and not wire. wire played on nypwp 8's 'gimmick' tracks, but goto80 did the c64 chips for this track. kirby pufocia of tss and metroid metal played the lead guitars and i did the drums, bass, and one guitar track.

one last thing, black knight was actually sampled and created from an original black knight pinball machine. this was one that we wanted to get on a tss album for quite a while, at the end of the godzilla medley on nypwp 7, theres a conversation between me and some other guys where we're listening to the black knight music that was recorded onto someones cellphone from the machine originally. so naturally it made sense to go back at this point and finally do it. it was pretty difficult to do that song, but it was a lot of fun.

thanks for your interest in the album guys, i hope its enjoyed. nypwp 10 or bust.
http://www.tempsoundsolutions.com
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks much for the info provided, Shawn.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnphase View Post
kirby pufocia of tss and metroid metal played the lead guitars and i did the drums, bass, and one guitar track.
Whoever made the edit to the page might have misread that. It doesn't really make sense to credit the whole of Metroid Metal for the contributions of one guitarist (Mike Molnar aka Kirby Pufocia).
And if you're going to list goto80 and Mike Molnar as performers, you should probably list Brian Vanek (cacomistle; performed EWI on track 13), Andre Beller (pingosimon), and Samuel Ascher-Weiss (Shnabubula; performed on track 6) as well.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:35 PM

By Metroid Metal he probably meant Stemage.

Anyway, all those names are unknown for me seeing I don't own this release and pretty much don't have knowledge of their involvement due to the lack of info, so I simply went with what Shawn posted.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:11 PM

i called kirby 'kirby of temp sound solutions and metroid metal' simply because he's in both bands, though it would have been great to get all of metroid metal in on a track. i should have had them do some things on the red brinstar, heh.

if you wish you can put the bonus track name in there as mega man 2 dr wily..it's not too well hidden but feel free.
http://www.tempsoundsolutions.com