VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 8, 2015, 08:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Mitsuda's facebook account has been going wild with all kinds of stuff lately.

I didn't translate it, but I saw a picture of him with Noriko Mitose. Might she be singing again? Perhaps duet w/ Sarah for Eng+Jap version of Radical Dreamers?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 07:33 PM

Some samples are up:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/harukanaru/

Looks like Mitsuda isn't arranging the entire thing.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 01:05 AM
Trusted Editor

Here are direct links to the samples:
Sample 1
Sample 2
Sample 3
Sample 4
Sample 5

I'm already in love with the tracks sung by Sarah Alainn.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 02:23 PM

I like it so far. The Marbule tune sounds like CREID.

But what on earth is happening at the end of that Scars of Time sample? This mysterious, haunting, beautiful quartal vocal harmony and then... that. Ugh. That has to be a mistake. Right? RIGHT?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 06:48 AM

I mostly like what I hear so far. It's too soon to call any of the tracks though. I'm hoping Scars of Time won't be as Zabadak-y as it sounds but alas, thus is fate.

Can't wait.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:25 AM

Scars of Time definitely sounds like Zabadak, but as a big fan of theirs, both the intro and the few bars of drums we get sound great to me. That and Marbule are the only tracks I can get into from these samples so far. Unfortunately, Mitsuda sounds like he's aiming straight at the adult contemporary charts with those cheesy Shigihara and Alainn songs. Good lord, those are some tacky arrangement choices and ridiculously melodramatic vocals.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I like it so far. The Marbule tune sounds like CREID.

But what on earth is happening at the end of that Scars of Time sample? This mysterious, haunting, beautiful quartal vocal harmony and then... that. Ugh. That has to be a mistake. Right? RIGHT?
Kashmir.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
Kashmir.
Exactly! So what the heck? I browsed Zabadak on youtube and found nothing resembling such a style. Not that they picked a bad band to rip off, but at the same time, it doesn't flow at all from the first part.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 08:28 AM

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but it also reminds me of the OUS arrange of Time's Scar, before it transitioned into the rock portion (the drums are similar). The clip cuts off right during the transition as a tease.

Maybe Robert Plant will make a guess appearance. lol
Old Sep 28, 2015, 02:53 PM

So I got a chance to listen to the SQUARE ENIX MUSiC SAMPLER CD Vol.10 and the Bend Of Time track on it, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, it's the same arrangement that's been out for years. Mitsuda released it years ago for free and once more for the Play for Japan album. As for the Shigihara song, it just seems to be a rearrange of her own cover of Corridors Of Time from her youtube channel (which I absolutely love, but still).
I don't know how many tracks there will be (please let it be more than 10), but that's already two songs we basically already know.

Last edited by Lunayl; Sep 28, 2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 03:11 PM

Seems so far it's getting mixed responses i myself am looking forward to it the Sarah Alainn songs are good. I don't mind the Marbule arrange either i'm hoping for a 13-14 track album.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 05:27 PM

Jormungand- Not sure what samples you checked out, but the drums at the end of Scars of Time sound pretty typical of current-era Zabadak to me. They do a lot of high energy, folksong inflected rock. Couple examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSSb...E1B08F49730CA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bdl...E1B08F49730CA8

Obviously, the Kashmir strings aren't typical of them, but from the brief sample, that could just be a harmless, passing use of an established trope. We'll have to wait and see where they go with it.

Anyway... this album is sounding more and more like a bummer to me. So Bend of Time is just the existing PFJ arrangement? (Which Mitsuda didn't even do himself). According to the product description on CDJapan, there are only 10 tracks.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SQEX-10501
Maybe that's inaccurate, but their product descriptions are supposed to come from the publisher and are usually reliable. So, now we know 6 of those 10, and Mitsuda himself only really did 1 of them. Man, for an album he's been talking about and apparently planning for almost 15 years, this seems like a letdown waiting to happen.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 06:00 PM

Why can't Mitsuda do more stuff that styled like Xenogears or CC. Maybe i'm just missing out.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonotes View Post
Jormungand- Not sure what samples you checked out, but the drums at the end of Scars of Time sound pretty typical of current-era Zabadak to me. They do a lot of high energy, folksong inflected rock. Couple examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSSb...E1B08F49730CA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bdl...E1B08F49730CA8
Those don't sound at all like the Scars of Time sample. It's not just the Kashmir rip. It's the sudden heavy rock, a complete non sequitur. It would actually sound more like Zabadak (again, just based on the cursory browsing I did of them) if they tried to sound more like Zeppelin, the smoky art rock flavor being far more in line with what their folk rock sounds like. Right now it's the ending credits to a COD game.

But you're right, I ought to give them the benefit of the doubt. On the positive side, I had never heard of the group before, and like the stuff I've listened to. The pair have been around for a long time.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:42 PM

First let me say this: I like pretty much all of what I've listened to in the samples that are up for the album. I'm a little surprised by how many tracks have turned into vocal arrangements, but they may grow on me. So, please don't accuse me of complaining about the quality of the album before hearing the full thing. The quality sounds great so far! Now, onto my main point.

Mitsuda has been my favorite VGM composer for a long, long time, so I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that Mitsuda didn't arrange every track on this album. Of the five tracks that have been revealed on the album's page, Mitsuda only had a hand in arranging two of them, and one of them was co-arranged. This is in no way meant to discount the skill of the people who are helping with the arrangement, but I think we all were hoping for Mitsuda's own new interpretations of his own compositions, not someone else's.

Of course, I preordered the album on day one and am really looking forward to hearing the rest of the music. Just based on my own personal taste and expectations, I really hope that the remaining tracks are both arranged by Mitsuda himself, and instrumental only. I mean, four vocal tracks on a 10 track album is plenty, right?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 05:57 AM

The vocal thing doesn't bother me so much...I mean, CREID is considered a legendary album and among its 10 tracks, 4 are vocals and two of those are recycled from the OST. This album seems to be following nicely in those footsteps.

That said, more tracks would be nice, as this covers both games.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 08:58 AM

So there's only one track fully arranged by Mitsuda... What a letdown... The final tracklist is good, I can't wait to hear the full version of Frozen Flame. And Kumi Tanioka ? This is awesome ! But maybe this was kind of lazy to proceed this way, as Schala's Theme is an arrangement of Shigihara's own interpretation again (but very much improved), just like Corridors Of Time. Still I'm sure they all worked hard on this, so even with all of this in mind, I feel like this will be a wonderful album.

Last edited by Lunayl; Oct 2, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 05:59 AM

According to Mitsuda's blog post, Square Enix music will be streaming the album in its entirety on October 13th from 9PM (Tokyo time), the night before it's officially released.

http://www.procyon-studio.com/blog/?p=10203

(The link to where it will be streaming is in the blog post)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:18 AM

Of course I just missed the stream, could only listen to the last two minutes... Is there any way to listen to it without having a niconico premium account ? I thought it would just be a simple listening of the album but they actually did it live with Mitsuda, Kumi Tanioka and two other musicians. And it seemed quite different from the samples.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:25 AM

Yep, the live performances appeared to be newly arranged; far more acoustic and instrumental based than their album counterparts. The songs covered were: Wind Scene, Schala's Theme, and On the Other Side / Epilogue ~ To Good Friends.

For those who missed out on the stream, I took the liberty of capturing a recording of the live tracks. There's a few slight sound anomalies in the recording (i.e. a hiss here and a crackle there), which was inherent in the stream itself. I fixed those as best as I could:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/58qtpx

Last edited by Angela; Oct 13, 2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
For those who missed out on the stream, I took the liberty of capturing a recording of the live tracks.
Many thanks, Angela!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Yep, the live performances appeared to be newly arranged; far more acoustic and instrumental based than their album counterparts. The songs covered were: Wind Scene, Schala's Theme, and On the Other Side / Epilogue ~ To Good Friends.

For those who missed out on the stream, I took the liberty of capturing a recording of the live tracks. There's a few slight sound anomalies in the recording (i.e. a hiss here and a crackle there), which was inherent in the stream itself. I fixed those as best as I could:

My copy of the CD was mailed yesterday, so it should arrive today. But I did miss the live stream so I'm happy you recorded it, especially since the arrangement appear to be slightly different from the album versions. I'll take a listen after work today. Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Chrome threw a warning for this file. Too risky to download
Old Oct 13, 2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitch_84 View Post
Huh. Could it really have gotten corrupted since early this morning? =/ Believe me, though, I have no malicious intents.

I'll throw up an alternate MEGA link just to be on the safe side:

https://mega.nz/#!X0YihBaC!7QTpVvxGM...D86vfrYQcESzL8
Old Oct 13, 2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Huh. Could it really have gotten corrupted since early this morning? =/ Believe me, though, I have no malicious intents.

I'll throw up an alternate MEGA link just to be on the safe side:

https://mega.nz/#!X0YihBaC!7QTpVvxGM...D86vfrYQcESzL8
Thanks for the other link! It's not that I don't trust you in particular, I just don't trust anyone online that I don't know :P

I'll try the new one after work
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:31 PM

The original link was legit. Thank you Angela!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 09:22 PM

Yes, great thinking here (of course I missed it as well) thank you Angela!
This album is getting a 2 vinyl discs release as well.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:59 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitch_84 View Post
Downloading files is never risky. Executing them on your local system is.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 03:23 AM

I am impressed with how global friendly they made this album. Not just the tracklist is in English, even the short little liner note blurb by Mitsuda was translated into English. I haven't bought CDs from SE in a long time, are they always like this?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcahest View Post
Yes, great thinking here (of course I missed it as well) thank you Angela!
This album is getting a 2 vinyl discs release as well.
wow thanks for that info, i would not have thought they would release a vinyl set for this. I would have missed it most likely if you hadn't said.