VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 19, 2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzito View Post
I was under the impression she composed the whole score by herself as some themes keep repeating and "KH / FF" references are everywhere.
Nah. She definitely had her hands in the majority of the score but there's plenty of tracks that are alien to her style (like most of the town themes and a good chunk of the later battle themes). It looks like other composers were brought in at some point, some of which have incorporated her themes into their pieces.

To amend my previous post, I just read (from the source of the leak) that the Limited Edition liner notes are just really lacking in composer/arranger breakdowns. I'd be surprised if the regular edition corrects this.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 05:01 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1234 View Post
Nah. She definitely had her hands in the majority of the score but there's plenty of tracks that are alien to her style (like most of the town themes and a good chunk of the later battle themes).
True. I haven't listened to some of these yet though.

Quote:
To amend my previous post, I just read (from the source of the leak) that the Limited Edition liner notes are just really lacking in composer/arranger breakdowns. I'd be surprised if the regular edition corrects this.
I went for a leak more for the sake of having a tracklist rather than "getting the credit" on composer breakdown actually.

Last edited by franzito; Dec 21, 2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 03:08 PM

Looks like I was wrong on some Aoki picks and right on others (I always suspected the fishing BGM, and Altissia and the Altissia gondola ride were fairly obvious). I never heard Flying R in-game, and Over the Waves plays during a scene that's covered entirely by SFX and dialogue.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 01:35 PM

Man, that digital cover is hideous. Was their entire international marketing campaign based on edge? Glad I was able to get a non-US/EU copy of the game to avoid similar.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 04:53 PM

Glad this is out. Had really high expectations for it. They were not met but the soundtrack is still great. I feel I prefer 13's over it though.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Evenstar View Post
Had really high expectations for it. They were not met but the soundtrack is still great. I feel I prefer 13's over it though.
I found a strong addition to the series musical history, but, as you said, XIII (despite the game's reception) "came full circle" in a stronger, well-rounded way.

Last edited by franzito; Dec 26, 2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 09:09 AM

Google Play has a promo where you can get any album for 50% off. This OST is available there so you can get it for a little over $10.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 05:10 AM

My copies have yet to arrive as they are bundled with a release coming out in January - do any of the editions list arranger credits?
Old Dec 25, 2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
My copies have yet to arrive as they are bundled with a release coming out in January - do any of the editions list arranger credits?
I bought the CD version and there are no individual composer/arranger credits.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petev21 View Post
Thank you
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petev21 View Post
Deeply disappointing that SE has made this choice.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 07:14 AM

Red face

Quote:
Deeply disappointing that SE has made this choice.
Can't say the same. Many of the compositions pay homage to previous scores, which comes down to Nobuo Uematsu mostly and the others here and there.
Plus, the Regalia seem to have a playlist with tons of past tunes which makes the overall score nostalgia-driven. And as a Plus soundtrack is yet to be announced (or not), perhaps it'll follow this trend?

Last edited by franzito; Dec 26, 2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Can't say the same. Many of the compositions pay homage to previous scores, which comes down to Nobuo Uematsu mostly and the others here and there.
Plus, the Regalia seem to have a playlist with tons of past tunes which makes the overall score nostalgia-driven. And as a Plus soundtrack is yet to be announced (or not), perhaps it'll follow this trend?
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. What disappoints me is that the composers and arrangers aren't properly credited in the album.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 02:59 PM
Trusted Editor

I'll be posting individual track credits here and on the other albums. The individual artists are credited in the mp3 tag data included on the Bluray disc versions.

Here are the tags from the bluray OST version:

Quote:
TRACKNUMBER: 01 TITLE: Somnus (Instrumental Version) ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 02 TITLE: Departure ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura/Yoshitaka Suzuki
TRACKNUMBER: 03 TITLE: Broken Down ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 04 TITLE: Hammerhead ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 05 TITLE: Wanderlust ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshitaka Suzuki/Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 06 TITLE: Encroaching Fear ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 07 TITLE: Stand Your Ground ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 08 TITLE: Relax and Reflect ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 09 TITLE: Day's End Fanfare ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Nobuo Uematsu
TRACKNUMBER: 10 TITLE: Horizon ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 11 TITLE: Safe Haven ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 12 TITLE: Lurking Danger ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 13 TITLE: Hunt or Be Hunted ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshitaka Suzuki
TRACKNUMBER: 14 TITLE: CINDY ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 15 TITLE: Urban Chrome ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 16 TITLE: A Quick Pit Stop ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 17 TITLE: Love Lost ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 18 TITLE: Galdin Quay ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 19 TITLE: ARDYN ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura/Yoshitaka Suzuki
TRACKNUMBER: 20 TITLE: The Aggressors ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 21 TITLE: NOX AETERNA ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 22 TITLE: The Hunters ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 23 TITLE: What Lies Within ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 24 TITLE: Daemons ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 25 TITLE: Bros on the Road ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Shota Nakama
TRACKNUMBER: 26 TITLE: Fantastica! ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 27 TITLE: The Niflheim Empire ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 28 TITLE: Veiled in Black ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 29 TITLE: Valse di Fantastica ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 30 TITLE: Crystalline Chill ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura/Nobuo Uematsu
TRACKNUMBER: 31 TITLE: What a Hoot ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 32 TITLE: Blues de Chocobo ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Nobuo Uematsu
TRACKNUMBER: 33 TITLE: Reel Rumble ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshino Aoki
TRACKNUMBER: 34 TITLE: The Fight Is On! ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 35 TITLE: Lestallum ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 36 TITLE: Welcome to the Leville ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 37 TITLE: Unsettling Aura ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 38 TITLE: Don't Panic! ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 39 TITLE: APOCALYPSIS NOCTIS ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 40 TITLE: Cosmogony ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 41 TITLE: Melancholia ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 42 TITLE: A Premonition ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 43 TITLE: NOX DIVINA ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 44 TITLE: Labyrinthine ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 45 TITLE: Flying R ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshino Aoki
TRACKNUMBER: 46 TITLE: Imperial Infiltration ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 47 TITLE: Veiled in Black (Arrangement) ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 48 TITLE: Invidia ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 49 TITLE: Sorrow Without Solace ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 50 TITLE: Sunset Waltz ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 51 TITLE: Disquiet ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 52 TITLE: OMNIS LACRIMA ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 53 TITLE: Rodeo de Chocobo ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Nobuo Uematsu
TRACKNUMBER: 54 TITLE: Listen Up ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 55 TITLE: Creeping Shadows ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 56 TITLE: Impending Peril ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 57 TITLE: Up for the Challenge ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 58 TITLE: Cape Caem ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 59 TITLE: Cape Caem - Our New Home ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 60 TITLE: Cape Caem - Hidden Harbor ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 61 TITLE: Bros on the Road II ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 62 TITLE: NOCTIS ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 63 TITLE: Over the Waves ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshino Aoki
TRACKNUMBER: 64 TITLE: Altissia ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshino Aoki
TRACKNUMBER: 65 TITLE: Altissia - Gondola Ride ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshino Aoki
TRACKNUMBER: 66 TITLE: Welcome to the Royal Suite ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshino Aoki
TRACKNUMBER: 67 TITLE: Starlit Waltz ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 68 TITLE: Prayer de LUNA ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 69 TITLE: No Time Left ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 70 TITLE: Song of the Stars ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 71 TITLE: The Hydraean's Wrath ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshitaka Suzuki/Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 72 TITLE: ARDYN II ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 73 TITLE: LUNA ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 74 TITLE: APOCALYPSIS AQUARIUS ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 75 TITLE: Broken Bonds ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 76 TITLE: Dining Car ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 77 TITLE: Cartanica ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 78 TITLE: Relax and Reflect - Pensive ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 79 TITLE: Careening Into Danger ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 80 TITLE: Tenebrae ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 81 TITLE: Horrors of the Night ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 82 TITLE: End of the Road ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 83 TITLE: An Empire in Ruins ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 84 TITLE: RAVUS AETERNA ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 85 TITLE: In the Light of the Crystal ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 86 TITLE: A World Unwaking ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshino Aoki
TRACKNUMBER: 87 TITLE: Neverending Nightmare ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 88 TITLE: Homecoming ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 89 TITLE: Hammerhead - The Last Bastion ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Tetsuya Shibata
TRACKNUMBER: 90 TITLE: Somnus ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 91 TITLE: Hellfire ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoshitaka Suzuki/Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 92 TITLE: Magna Insomnia ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 93 TITLE: Dawn ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 94 TITLE: Somnus Ultima ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 95 TITLE: Dewdrops at Dawn ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Yoko Shimomura
TRACKNUMBER: 96 TITLE: Main Theme from FINAL FANTASY ARTIST: Yoko Shimomura; COMPOSER: Nobuo Uematsu
- Lazily added Album Info

Last edited by dancey; Dec 28, 2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 02:39 AM

I found this soundtrack to be monotonous and uninspiring.
Bring back nobuo!
For me vgm is on a real downward spiral.
Where's the sense of magic, story telling, character?
Apart from having a bang average story and easy gameplay the soundtrack pretty much was the most disappointing thing for me in the game.
This is of course just my opinion so I hope I don't hurt any feelings.
Won't be picking this up.

Graphics and gameplay weren't half bad though
Old Dec 31, 2016, 05:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
I'll be posting individual track credits here and on the other albums. The individual artists are credited in the mp3 tag data included on the Bluray disc versions.

Here are the tags from the bluray OST version:
Even these credits are not very precise... In terms of arrangers at least.

This is what I could find:

Composed/Arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki (confirmed by him on his Twitter account):
Veiled in Black (Arrangement)
RAVUS AETERNA (composition, but it uses Shimomura's themes)
Hellfire (composition, uses some of Shimomura's themes)
Also Suzuki probably arranged "Stand Your Ground", "Hunt or Be Hunted" and more... and a number of cutscene tracks.

Arranged by Mitsuhiro Ohta (credited in the Ultimate Collector's Edition soundtrack):
A Quick Pit Stop
Blues de Chocobo

Arranged/orchestrated by Kaoru Wada (credited in drammatica, memoria and the Square Enix Sampler Vol.11):
NOX AETERNA
A Premonition
NOX DIVINA
OMNIS LACRIMA
Somnus

Orchestrated by Sachiko Miyano (as seen in Kingsglaive's end credits):
LUNA
(and probably "Prayer de LUNA" as well...)

Shota Nakama probably arranged/orchestrated everything that was recorded with the Video Game Orchestra, but there's no list for these tracks. The only ones that I'm sure about are the ones that were in the Episode Duscae demo ("Horizon", "The Fight is On!", "Veiled in Black", "Fantastica!").

I have no idea about the contribution of John Graham, Naoki Masumoto and Nicolas Alvarez, though.

It's very frustrating. Square Enix is usually thorough when it comes to credits...

Last edited by Zanasea; Jan 6, 2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
I think this might unfortunately my least favorite soundtrack of the main series FF games outside of X. The heartbreaking thing is that the best material on here really soars, but so much of the soundtrack is just serviceable. It's not captivating or particularly interesting outside of its in-game context and that kills me. Whether its the pastiche town themes or the many by-numbers ambient or battle themes, I just don't think a lot of the tracks have much to offer outside of my gameplay experiences.

I find that "Cartanica" onward mostly sees a huge quality increase over what precedes it. Not many tracks have the vibrance or richness that "Valse di Fantastica," "Wanderlust" or "APOCALYPSIS NOCTIS" demonstrate. Those tracks, to me, are simultaneously very Shimomura while being very distinctively "FFXV" at the same time. They set the tone without being adequate "Destati" retreads ("OMNIS LACRIMA") or through-and-through exercises in genre ("Galdin Quay," "A Quick Pit Stop," "Starlit Waltz").

It's disappointing that after ten years I can walk away from this record and think "it's okay" and not "even as not Shimomura's biggest fan, this is her masterpiece."

Also, if Kenji Ito wants to do FFXVI, that'd be great, thanks.
I couldn't word it any better. There's a lot of work here that defines the mood of FFXV, but the rest is serviceable. Said tracks stand out greatly in comparison to the rest, of which merely 'exist' so the game doesn't remain dull during the player's open world exploration.

To be honest, I was looking forward to the bombastic tracks the most because I think they fit the theme of the game more often than the whimsical tracks of previous FF titles. "NOX DIVINA" and "OMNIS LACRIMA" being two of my standouts for battle themes. One fits the introductions of the summons very well, the other made doing the large fights against mythical monsters interesting considering their backgrounds.

Character themes were serviceable, I enjoyed both of Ardyn's quite a bit. Aranea's "Invidia" fits what little character she had in the game pretty well, too. Though that's all I can really say regarding this category, because aside from Noct and his friends no one else stood out. No one else had more screen time than what was required of them, so if they did have a theme I hardly had any time to appreciate it. This goes for Luna especially.

I feel that, for an album as a whole (along with the game), only the set pieces and battle themes actually stood out. The vast, open world being FFXV's biggest downfall. I spend a good 90% listening to "Rodeo de Chocobo", which despite fitting the furry little guys very well, became a chore to listen to. If I took the Regalia out for a spin, I ended up listening to the older FF soundtracks more than I heard XV's throughout my 50 hour trek. If I chose to take a hike, I was greeted to nothing but silence, with the occasional wind and monster roar. Occasionally "Sunset Waltz" or "Wanderlust" plays, but if I entered the menu for whatever reason it stopped playing. As Jormungand put it, it's immersion breaking. Despite that, both tracks do fit the overall world and are very nice to listen to, when they play to their full extent that is.

I don't want this to become a review of the game, so I'll stop here. I think it's safe to say that after a 10 year wait, this game and its music are simply 'fitting'. Though I am disappointed, I am very happy to know that the development of FFXV is over as I've long felt that it gave Square Enix too many problems, delaying other long awaited titles (KHIII) and ultimately becoming a burden for the good folks that poured their hearts into making a game that was coming out to be flawed from the very beginning. Whether Shimomura is holding out her very best for Kingdom Hearts 3, I don't know, but I really hope that is the case.

As for FFXVI, I might be the minority on this one but I hope Square sticks with the Luminous engine. Though it has its faults, it has a lot of upsides to it. One of which is the scale of the game, where big is big and small is small. It made fights like the Titan or Levithian's very fun in a way.

Very happy to see the comparisons to XIII's score, too. Though the game wasn't that great, I think Hamauzu did a marvelous job with the overall feel of the world and his excellent violin work. FFXV's weak score made me appreciate XIII's all the more, which I still find myself listening to.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:04 PM

I think all three of the XIII soundtracks are brilliant in their own right. Lightning Returns has some of the best exercises in genre where XV completely fails.

Out of this release, I've gotten a very good 25-40 tracks that really do it for me. I don't think the game makes the best use of its music (the menu/car interruptions on Sunset/Valse and Wanderlust are criminal mistakes) but there's still a lot to love here.

I'd be happy to see Nobuo try another soundtrack if he kept his 80s dad rock crap out of the equation. His Before Meteor XIV contributions are mostly very well-produced but anytime he hits a true blue synthesizer or guitar, I find myself looking for bleach.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
As for FFXVI, I might be the minority on this one but I hope Square sticks with the Luminous engine. Though it has its faults, it has a lot of upsides to it. One of which is the scale of the game, where big is big and small is small. It made fights like the Titan or Levithian's very fun in a way.

Very happy to see the comparisons to XIII's score, too. Though the game wasn't that great, I think Hamauzu did a marvelous job with the overall feel of the world and his excellent violin work. FFXV's weak score made me appreciate XIII's all the more, which I still find myself listening to.
I definitely agree with you about the Luminous Engine, while it may be described as a technical nightmare by SE, it's still an engine with using. It's simply beautiful would be my preference, and after FFXV it's clear that the engine can handle a wide range of scenarios quite well. Even as a money thing, they've surely put lots of money behind it, and to ditch it so soon?

I'd agree that the soundtrack as a whole is disappointing, but the themes that I do enjoy, I enjoy write a bit, and vice versa. The comparison with the XIII OST is nice as well, and I thought the same thing while playing XV well, it shows just how good the XIII OST was.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 03:00 AM

It always helps me playing the game so I can reach a verdict about its music properly. I find funny when some people say "this / that track is forgettable / weak / whatever".
I remember when I listened to "Forever Fugitives" (track 15, 2nd DISC, FF XIII OST) before playing the game and I thought this track was amazing and probably theme of some worth-watching, breakthrough scene. I'd be very disappointed by discovering it was related to a Serah / Snow's tense but *makes me yawn* cutscene (it didn't sound to me like a "couple in distress" theme...)
Anyway... to each his own.

Last edited by franzito; Jan 7, 2017 at 03:04 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 04:19 PM

I've been listening to the OST a lot, and need to write down my thoughts so I can move on and be done with about half of it forever. I've written track-by-track commentary for the whole thing. It's organized by composer/arranger credit, ascending.

TL;DR in the commentary I chastise Suzuki, praise 25% of Shimomura, wish Shibata had done more like Cartanica, and gush over Aoki.

I also make some guesses about arrangers.

All in all, I collected about 42 "keeper" tracks, some of which are just there to make the FF15 experience more complete even if they're not amazing. I believe the standout tracks are as follows:

105 Wanderlust (Suzuki, Shimomura)
110 Horizon (Nakama, Shimomura)
202 Veiled in Black (Nakama, Shimomura)
207 Reel Rumble (Aoki)
211 Unsettling Aura (Shimomura)
214 Cosmogony (Shimomura)
302 Disquiet (Shimomura)
305 Listen Up (Shimomura)
307 Impending Peril (Shimomura)
308 Up for the Challenge (Shimomura)
315 Altissia (Aoki)
316 Altissia - Gondola Ride (Aoki)
321 Song of the Stars (Shimomura)
403 Cartanica (Shibata)
405 Careening Into Danger (Shimomura)
406 Tenebrae (Shimomura...allegedly)
418 Magna Insomnia (Shimomura)
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It always helps me playing the game so I can reach a verdict about its music properly. I find funny when some people say "this / that track is forgettable / weak / whatever".
I remember when I listened to "Forever Fugitives" (track 15, 2nd DISC, FF XIII OST) before playing the game and I thought this track was amazing and probably theme of some worth-watching, breakthrough scene. I'd be very disappointed by discovering it was related to a Serah / Snow's tense but *makes me yawn* cutscene (it didn't sound to me like a "couple in distress" theme...)
Anyway... to each his own.
I agree, I'd like to hear why some people think it's forgettable/weak or etcetera but not many go into detail on why. And yes your right that context is key, too, and I judged FFXV's score on how it stands on its own alongside the scenes they are used. Still, as much as I like how many pieces can work on their own, FFXV's score didn't really come around in the long run. Kind of like its narrative.

And thanks for your thoughts, Jormungand, interesting thoughts. I personally didn't mind the bits of bombast in FFXV as I thought it made sense with the game's themes but I can tell you there was too much of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
I definitely agree with you about the Luminous Engine, while it may be described as a technical nightmare by SE, it's still an engine with using. It's simply beautiful would be my preference, and after FFXV it's clear that the engine can handle a wide range of scenarios quite well. Even as a money thing, they've surely put lots of money behind it, and to ditch it so soon?

I'd agree that the soundtrack as a whole is disappointing, but the themes that I do enjoy, I enjoy write a bit, and vice versa. The comparison with the XIII OST is nice as well, and I thought the same thing while playing XV well, it shows just how good the XIII OST was.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about Luminous Pro. It has to be used! I don't think Square will toss it aside so soon. I think the real question is whether or not they'll toss Unreal Engine 4 aside for future Kingdom Hearts installments. I hear the Kingdom shader took quite a bit of development time away to get right.

I can understand how you feel about the character themes. I personally felt that some of them fell flat since some characters were hardly on screen long enough for me to "contextually" care. But Noctos, Ardyn, and Areana had pleasurable themes.

Last edited by Kraken; Jan 28, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I agree, I'd like to hear why some people think it's forgettable/weak or etcetera but not many go into detail on why.
Well, I don't know if this type of comment is allowed, but I wrote a long, critical yet balanced review for VGMO. Even Shota Nakama wrote a comment saying he thought it was the best one out there, so maybe my review will suit your needs: http://www.vgmonline.net/finalfantasy15/
Old Jan 29, 2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfantasyst View Post
Well, I don't know if this type of comment is allowed, but I wrote a long, critical yet balanced review for VGMO. Even Shota Nakama wrote a comment saying he thought it was the best one out there, so maybe my review will suit your needs: http://www.vgmonline.net/finalfantasy15/
I can only agree with Chris and Mr. Nakama here - you've nailed it! Great review.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Excellent review! As it pains me to say I agree with all of your points. As Chris puts it, this is perhaps the worst score of a numbered Final Fantasy title yet.

Nice to see Nakama taking things in stride, too

Last edited by Kraken; Jan 29, 2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 01:22 PM

Ok, so the 'artist' tag in the above list (http://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.php...7&postcount=44) is pretty irrelevant, given every single one is Shimomura.

This situation is pretty annoying, it especially seems odd for SQEX to be so lazy, especially about such a major game.
Well any I get wrong, I'm blaming YOU, people-at-Square.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I agree with pretty much all of your points.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 04:53 PM
Trusted Editor

Any idea if the composer/arranger credits on E-Onkyo are accurate?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 02:43 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The fact that they're the most precise we've ever found yet leads me to think they are accurate. I've checked the tracks for which we already have some details, especially regarding arrangers, and they all seem correct. The only thing that might be weird is the lack of arranger credits for "LUNA", because in Kingsglaive it is said to be orchestrated by Sachiko Miyano (maybe they just don't credit orchestrators but only arrangers and Shimomura arranged it herself, which is possible – she arranged drammatica herself but let Kameoka orchestrate). But overall, this looks pretty solid to me. Also if you check the credits for the other Square Enix albums in their database, they all have complete and accurate credits.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 03:01 AM
VGMdb Staff

The credits were given by the publisher, so they are accurate. And yes, orchestration tends to be a different credit than arrangement.

You won't often find an orchestrator listed on these online shops - it's usually only found in the booklet.