VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 1, 2012, 05:12 PM
Trusted Editor

Default SCDC-00457~459: Berwick Saga Sound Track

Fixed album info to be verbatim per inserts.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 02:46 AM

I take it that Original is left out on purpose. The sound is completely different from the gameplay version, in terms of quality.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 05:36 AM
Trusted Editor

Why was the subtitle removed, it's clearly written in english all over the album and in katakana on the other side of the front spine?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 02:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

In both English and Japanese, the spines say "Berwick Saga Sound Track" on the first line and then have the game's subtitle "Lazberia chronicle chapter 174" separated from the game's title for some reason and put on the next line. That and the title being "ベルウィックサーガ サウンドトラック" on the obi and "ティアリングサーガシリーズ「ベルウィックサーガ」サウンドトラック" on the front and back covers and discs, both without subtitles, made me think the title of the album is just "Berwick Saga Sound Track."

I don't really object to putting the subtitle back in, as long as it's formatted like it's printed on the spines with it coming at the very end. I generally favor what's on the spines over everything else but made an exception here.

Last edited by CHz; Dec 23, 2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 03:11 PM
Trusted Editor

There's no way it belongs at the end of the title no matter how you look at it, though. There is at least 7 different variations of the way the album name is displayed.
  • "Berwick Saga Soundtrack" front spine left, insert (back)
  • "Lazberia chronicle chapter 174" back spine right
  • "~ラズベリア クロニカル チャプター 174~" front spine right
  • "ベルウィックサーガ サウンドトラック" back spine left, also two spots on obi (front display and spine display)
Theme there appears to be both English and Japanese on each of the spines, since it's a 2CD release they usually have room (that's at least where I got the ~ from, because it separates the subtitle nicely)
  • "チィアリングサーガシリーズ「ベルウィックサーガ」サウンドトラック Berwick Saga Lazberia chronicle chapter 174 ベルウィックサーガ" back, disc 1, disc 2, disc 3, though I question why ベルウィックサーガ is repeated at the end or even there.
  • "Berwick Saga Lazberia chronicle chapter 174" front tray, back tray, insert 1, insert 2 (next to credits)
  • "チィアリングサーガシリーズ「ベルウィックサーガ」サウンドトラック Berwick Saga Lazberia chronicle chapter 174" booklet front cover

There's probably a million variations of the title that we could argue about but i'm not arguing that Berwick Saga Sound Track isn't valid, just that the subtitle of the game (in whatever format deemed appropriate) should be present. I don't, however, agree that it belongs at the end of the album title (i.e., "Berwick Saga Soundtrack Lazberia chronicle 174" because splitting up the subtitle like that is wrong no matter how you look at it.

Last edited by dancey; Dec 23, 2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 04:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
I don't, however, agree that it belongs at the end of the album title (i.e., "Berwick Saga Soundtrack Lazberia chronicle 174" because splitting up the subtitle like that is wrong no matter how you look at it.
Before I respond more fully, I just want to double-check what you mean by "wrong" here, in case I came across unclearly before and need to explain what the hell I meant.

When you say it's wrong, do you just mean because it would be silly to split it up like that? Because if so I definitely agree, which is why I didn't do it.

But if you meant it's wrong because that's not how it's printed: when you look at the full case from the sides, it looks like this, right?

(left)
Berwick Saga Sound Track
Lazberia chronicle chapter 174

(right)
ベルウィックサーガ サウンドトラック
~ラズベリア クロニカル チャプター 174~

That's what I was trying to say: when you read the spines, you get "Berwick Saga Sound Track: Lazberia chronicle chapter 174" in that order. I think it'd be weird to do that, which is why I didn't do that, but not really wrong per se.

Now if I did get that across 100% clearly before and you were saying that it'd be wrong to read the title off the case like that: OK!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 04:40 PM
Trusted Editor

No, there's two different issues I'm trying to get across.

First, which was the edit I noticed this morning (really only because of the thread reply) was that the the subtitled was removed and I don't think it should be. Lazberia chronicle chapter 174 is the subtitle for the game and clearly displayed pretty much everywhere on the physical product [both this soundtrack and the actual game].

Second, which came after your first reply was that putting the subtitle after the word Soundtrack is unintuitive and just doesn't really work no matter how you look at it.

We both agree on #2 so that's not even an issue at this point. My only issue is with the removal of the subtitle, which in my opinion because it's so prominently displayed all over every product for the game, should be in some way a part of the title. And since we both agree putting it at the end is weird, then some variation of "%TITLE% %subtitle% Sound[]track" is appropriate. Whether that's...
  • Berwick Saga Lazberia chronicle chapter 174 Soundtrack
  • Berwick Saga Lazberia chronicle chapter 174 Sound Track
  • Berwick Saga ~Lazberia chronicle chapter 174~ Soundtrack
  • Berwick Saga ~Lazberia chronicle chapter 174~ Sound Track
  • TearRingSaga Series "Berwick Saga" Lazberia chronicle chapter 174 Soundtrack
  • TearRingSaga Series "Berwick Saga" Lazberia chronicle chapter 174 Sound Track
  • TearRingSaga Series "Berwick Saga" ~Lazberia chronicle chapter~ 174 Soundtrack
  • TearRingSaga Series "Berwick Saga" ~Lazberia chronicle chapter~ 174 Sound Track

... I don't know.

Because the subtitle is so prominent across the whole product and because there are so many different variations of the way it's displayed, it should at least incorporate a majority of that information in the title.

*edit*

And because there's so many variations and all of them are technically "correct" according to standards, we're going to have to be a little creative.

Last edited by dancey; Dec 23, 2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 07:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh okay, I follow. I was focusing on the spines because I thought they were a bigger part of your argument than they actually were, sorry!

My feeling is that, while the subtitle is printed a whole lot, that shouldn't supersede the fact that the album title never includes it. In all statements of the album's title I see—red text on the case front+case back+booklet front+discs, booklet back, spines, and obi—there's no subtitle. It's only in the logo (with the person on the horse and the katakana below it) and bare statements of the game's title in the trays/booklet/etc. that the subtitle is present.

Basically, I think the title of the game is independent from the title of the album, and I don't think the number of times the subtitle is printed for the game outweighs the number of times "soundtrack" is printed without it. But you feel differently, yeah?

I'm totally good with just punting and including both subtitled and subtitleless versions of the title in some order. Probably should have done that to begin with, to be honest
Old Dec 23, 2015, 07:42 PM
Trusted Editor

Seems an acceptable compromise but worth noting without game subtitles, Ys ~Oath in Felghana~ would just be Ys .