VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:03 PM

Default Minako Hamano (#635)

I translated an interview with the Super Metroid staff that contains the birth dates and birth places of all the developers: www.metroid-database.com/?g=sm&p=interview

Minako Hamano also tried to do the voice of Samus but failed (They don't say who did the voice in the end though.) Kenji Yamamoto says he did the voice sfx of Spore Spawn.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Excellent work! Also, I'll change the Kenji Yamamoto's portrait. I think that guy in that picture of last.fm was someone else...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 02:44 PM

Just mentioning here for the record that Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano have been mentioned to be leading the music team of Metroid: Samus Returns.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 04:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Metroid II is easily my favorite Metroid soundtrack, and I can't say that I'm super excited for this because I'm pessimistically preparing myself for them taking the extremely weird and extremely good songs and making them all "normal music." The first song in the trailer was okay Primey stuff, but I thought the second battle theme was really boring.

Hamano is good at weird music, so I hope she ends up in charge of the reprises.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Metroid II is easily my favorite Metroid soundtrack, and I can't say that I'm super excited for this because I'm pessimistically preparing myself for them taking the extremely weird and extremely good songs and making them all "normal music." The first song in the trailer was okay Primey stuff, but I thought the second battle theme was really boring.

Hamano is good at weird music, so I hope she ends up in charge of the reprises.
Oh wow, I'm not alone. Yeah, I think I'm more excited to hear the music in the remake than to actually play it. Metroid II's score is rather underrated IMO as well, it gets buried under all the other scores in the franchise.

I kind of want to pick up the CE just for the soundtrack CD.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 05:54 PM

Yeah, I wish we got some more rare Ryoji Yoshitomi weirdness. I think he didn't compose anymore since R&D1 was dissolved. But I gladly take Minako Hamano as well.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 09:20 PM

I didn't realize people appreciated the weirdness of Metroid II's sountrack as much as I do! I mean, a lot of it isn't really music, but I can appreciate the very alien-sounding ambient parts and the more musical things are great, especially the main BGM and the baby metroid music. Yoshitomi won a place in my heart with those. The Metroid battle music is also a brief bit of fantastic chaos.

I think the typical Yamamoto'version of the Metroid sound has some highlights isn't all that interesting overall, so I have a bit of trepidation about this news. We shall see.

By the way, if I remember correctly, Yoshitomi is one of the people credited specifically for music in those Pikmin short films that Miyamoto directed and they sell on the Wii U eShop.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
By the way, if I remember correctly, Yoshitomi is one of the people credited specifically for music in those Pikmin short films that Miyamoto directed and they sell on the Wii U eShop.
The specific credit in the Pikmin shorts is "Sound & Music", and most of the music there was pretty much taken from the Pikmin titles, so I'm guessing that Yoshitomi's role might have actually be SFX supervision or whatever.

But yeah, I kinda wish too Yoshitomi hadn't fallen into sound engineering "hell" (so to speak) after the Game Boy / Advance days. Although I'm pretty sure that these two records of Nintendogs (where he was sound director) have his fingerprints...

Taro Bando (from F-Zero X fame) is also kinda in that situation, although Nintendo doesn't seem to care about F-Zero at all anymore to begin with.