VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:48 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I added an English and Japanese track list and a new "contents" image. Info and image taken from here:

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music/sem/page/FF7R/ost/
Old Mar 31, 2020, 01:06 AM

Wait ... 7 discs of music only for the first part of the game??! Which means additional volumes will follow as the game parts will be released? I doubt this is the full soundtrack. Next to FF14 it may be a candidate for "largest video game soundtrack" in the series I suppose haha.

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Mar 31, 2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 01:10 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Wait ... 7 discs of music only for the first half of the game??! Which means additional volumes will follow as the game parts will be released? I doubt this is the full soundtrack.
Not even the first half. The Midgar section is maybe only the first 1/3 or 1/4 of the full story. I’m guessing the soundtrack for the full FFVII Remake saga will probably end up being 30 discs long or something crazy.

Last edited by Chris Porter; Mar 31, 2020 at 01:15 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 03:45 AM

I still can't wrap my head around the sheer size of this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:29 PM

I get they were probably going for "FFVII! Seven discs! 7777¥!!" but man, surely this is the point where a single Blu-ray Disc is the more feasible option. I know it's not a popular medium around these parts, but I'm bummed there's no option for it like there was for XV.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 06:10 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
I get they were probably going for "FFVII! Seven discs! 7777¥!!" but man, surely this is the point where a single Blu-ray Disc is the more feasible option. I know it's not a popular medium around these parts, but I'm bummed there's no option for it like there was for XV.
I'm fine with Blu-ray releases as long as the files (preferably in both lossless and MP3 versions) can be easily grabbed from a folder on the disc and dragged to your hard drive. I seem to remember some past releases where you had to connect to a network and download the files. It was way more trouble than it needed to be.

That being said, there's also something appealing about a monumental game like this getting a (physically) huge soundtrack set as well.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:04 PM

Given their track record with upscaling, etc., I'm not sure we can ever expect regular lossless inclusion or similar, but I do appreciate the included files on those discs.

At this point those releases (FFXIV, XV, the revival discs, etc) work better for me, but I can appreciate the sentiment of a sprawling physical release. I grew up loving incredible deluxe editions of my favorite records, etc.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
Not even the first half. The Midgar section is maybe only the first 1/3 or 1/4 of the full story. I’m guessing the soundtrack for the full FFVII Remake saga will probably end up being 30 discs long or something crazy.
it's 7 discs for this remake, but you could bet that a lot of music will be reused in future other remakes
(some videos has music that you normally hear in other parts in the original game that they shoulda added in this remake)

so, sorry, but I don't think it will have like 30 discs
if you expect 2 other remakes, with original boss tracks and places/events you could count 3-4 cds (or less) for FFVII REMAKE ost vol.2 and 3
Old Apr 1, 2020, 02:15 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
it's 7 discs for this remake, but you could bet that a lot of music will be reused in future other remakes
(some videos has music that you normally hear in other parts in the original game that they shoulda added in this remake)

so, sorry, but I don't think it will have like 30 discs
if you expect 2 other remakes, with original boss tracks and places/events you could count 3-4 cds (or less) for FFVII REMAKE ost vol.2 and 3
Of course I wasn't speaking out of certainty. Just extrapolating based on the assumption that the next parts of the Remake will be similar in size and content, and that there might be up to four parts total. You might be right and the next volumes will have less original music than this first part if they do end up reusing some stuff. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Assuming this, maybe they tend to make 7 parts of the remake ... lucky 7 hehe. In any case, I think the overall soundtrack will be IMMENSE, however I dare to say that not all tracks will be great as I'm not a fan of this sheer overdose of music (quality over quantity). I'd rather have some really great original tracks and awesome, faithful and fresh arrangements of old tune than a 300+ monster soundtrack, where over the half of tracks is just forgettable or filler-type. Won't criticize before I hear the final result, but yeah. I hope they do this fantastic soundtrack justice.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 02:42 AM

OHNOES!
OHNOES!!
OHNOES!!!
OHNOES!!!!
OHNOES!!!!!
OHNOES!!!!!!
OHNOES!!!!!!!

DON'T SPEAK OF SEVEN REMAKES (you will bring jinx upon us)

Last edited by Phonograph; Apr 1, 2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 05:09 AM

Just seven? I assume that they'll waste time developing an updated version for the PS5 that will take time from developing the subsequent releases.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Assuming this, maybe they tend to make 7 parts of the remake ... lucky 7 hehe. In any case, I think the overall soundtrack will be IMMENSE, however I dare to say that not all tracks will be great as I'm not a fan of this sheer overdose of music (quality over quantity). I'd rather have some really great original tracks and awesome, faithful and fresh arrangements of old tune than a 300+ monster soundtrack, where over the half of tracks is just forgettable or filler-type. Won't criticize before I hear the final result, but yeah. I hope they do this fantastic soundtrack justice.
Yeah, I absolutely did not ask for or want a billion variations on "Let the Battles Begin!" but I'll reserve judgment till it comes out. The vinyl EP was "fine," so I expect there will be the usual amount of safe, disappointing, exciting and surprising material here.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 01:18 PM

I can't imagine both Hamauzu and Suzuki each did a full soundtrack's worth of music each... and that's even assuming they split the work evenly. There have to be more arrangers involved?? Or there's a lot of dual-track pieces like in End of Eternity, e.g. they only actually composed a single piece of music but then turned up/down volume depending on if it's dungeon exploration or battle.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I can't imagine both Hamauzu and Suzuki each did a full soundtrack's worth of music each... and that's even assuming they split the work evenly. There have to be more arrangers involved?? Or there's a lot of dual-track pieces like in End of Eternity, e.g. they only actually composed a single piece of music but then turned up/down volume depending on if it's dungeon exploration or battle.
If these credits from the vinyl ost are to be believed, other arrangers include Yoshitaka Suzuki, Shotaro Shima and Yoshinori Nakamura.

https://vgmdb.net/album/87617
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:18 PM

I’m betting a good chunk is Suzuki. His sound is all over the vinyl EP and the demo.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I’m betting a good chunk is Suzuki. His sound is all over the vinyl EP and the demo.
*sigh* as usual...
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:07 AM

The overabundance of his work irritates me about as much as Tsuyoshi Sekito's constant presence in the 00s Square works. Sekito, at least, I could often chalk up to different strokes though.

Edit: Realized there are two Suzukis in question. I am talking about Yoshitaka Suzuki; I am quite happy with Mitsuto Suzuki's presence on nearly anything and think VII will be a good fit for his sound.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
The overabundance of his work irritates me about as much as Tsuyoshi Sekito's constant presence in the 00s Square works. Sekito, at least, I could often chalk up to different strokes though.

Edit: Realized there are two Suzukis in question. I am talking about Yoshitaka Suzuki; I am quite happy with Mitsuto Suzuki's presence on nearly anything and think VII will be a good fit for his sound.
Oh yeah definitely. M. Suzuki is fantastic.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 04:31 AM
VGMdb Staff

Alright, we got credits now.
Quote:
MUSIC
Masashi Hamauzu (MONOMUSIK INC.)
Mitsuto Suzuki

THEME SONG & ORIGINAL MUSIC COMPOSED BY
Nobuo Uematsu (Dog Ear Records Co., Ltd.)

ADDITIONAL COMPOSERS
Shotaro Shima (Globe Enterbrainz)
Yoshitaka Suzuki (Polion, Inc.)
Yoshinori Nakamura (TV ASAHI MUSIC CO., LTD.)
Tadayoshi Makino (SpinSolfa Co., Ltd.)
Yasunori Nishiki
Keiki Kobayashi
Takafumi Imamura
Daiki Ishikawa

ARRANGERS
Naoyuki Honzawa
Kengo Tokusashi
Tsuyoshi Sekito
Ayumu Murai
Hiroko Sebu
Sachiko Miyano (Shangri-la inc.)
Yuichi Tsuchiya (INSPION, Inc.)
Masanori Akita (INSPION, Inc.)
Miki Fujimoto (INSPION, Inc.)
Sakiko Sakuragi (INSPION, Inc.)
Hydra (INSPION, Inc.)

ORCHESTRATION
Shotaro Shima (Globe Enterbrainz)
Yoshitaka Suzuki (Polion, Inc.)
Yoshinori Nakamura (TV ASAHI MUSIC CO., LTD.)
Sachiko Miyano (Shangri-la inc.)
Yasunori Nishiki
Old Apr 8, 2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Many thanks! No track-by-track credits though? Guess we have to wait for the ost release.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 07:29 AM

So ... Uematsu didn't compose any new material besides his theme song as usual? What a pity. I was hoping for some new themes, but maybe he has something to offer in the upcoming parts. However, that list of co-composers ... wow!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
So ... Uematsu didn't compose any new material besides his theme song as usual? What a pity. I was hoping for some new themes, but maybe he has something to offer in the upcoming parts. However, that list of co-composers ... wow!
Yeah, it's quite a list. I mean, I knew they had other people working on it, but this many? Not a fan, personally.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfantasyst View Post
Yeah, it's quite a list. I mean, I knew they had other people working on it, but this many? Not a fan, personally.
With DLC included, this is about how many people worked on FFXV. Many of the same too, Y. Suzuki, Makino, Miyano, etc.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Thank you, but--Keiji Kawamori is missing and not only was the music supervisor, it seems he did a large chunk of the OST (arrangements).

FF7 Remake Music Interview (if you watch you might want to scroll down the screen a bit so you don't get spoiled, if you plan on playing the game)

The interview also implies that Kawamori, M. Suzuki, and Hamauzu handled the majority. Suzuki seems to have focused more on arrangements, while Hamauzu seems to have focused more on new compositions for the new scenes (though it also seems all created original music in some capacity).

Kitase and M. Toriyama seem to have both acted as "music directors", although it's clear Kawamori was more realistically in charge of the direction side of things.

Also this crossfading thing
Quote:
Or there's a lot of dual-track pieces like in End of Eternity, e.g. they only actually composed a single piece of music but then turned up/down volume depending on if it's dungeon exploration or battle.
is confirmed to be prominent.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 05:40 PM

Takafumi Imamura is on this? YES. Their work for FFXIV is really great, so I'm excited to see their contributions for this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 06:37 AM

Keiki Kobayashi? Now I'm even more intrigued.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 09:33 PM

I added some credits from the credits:
https://youtu.be/1cbuPISv238?t=287 (4:47~5:00)
https://youtu.be/1cbuPISv238?t=409 (7:07~7:25)
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:25 PM

Learned this from Yoshitaka Suzuki on Facebook (regarding tracks he worked on):

Turks theme, Turks battle scene,
Hundred gunner, prelude, plenty of in-game music, and lots of cutscenes
I composed and arranged about 50 songs. please enjoy^-^
Old Apr 13, 2020, 06:33 AM

Nice, thanks NukaCola.

In addition, Hamauzu most certainly composed the "on a mission" BGM and its battle version (plays in "dungeons" like Scrap Street(?) and the factory during sidequests in chapter 3), the Sector 7 night-time BGM (Chapter 4), and the "sneaking around" BGM in the same location (when doing the side quest @ a certain character's house, Chapter 4)