VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 24, 2008, 06:20 PM

Default Calm and relaxing game music

Can anyone recommend to me some game music that would be remeniscent of Xenogears or Chrono Cross? I love calm and relaxing style they have. Thanks!

Also, as a side note, it would be great if you pulled up an album it would have a "More music like this" or "If you liked this album, try this one" type feature.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:53 PM

There's a few game albums I tend to listen to when I'm after something relaxing:

- Okami Piano Arrange
- Terranigma Arranged Soundtrack
- Chrono Trigger - The Brink of Time

They're also the three that I've been able to successfully work while listening, and not get distracted by some "awesome fast-paced track" (like ICARO AGAIN~ in Shadow Hearts 2).
Old Feb 28, 2008, 03:35 PM

Tsugunai seems like an easy suggestion. Nothing is going to sound as much like Mitsuda's stuff as Mitsuda's stuff. You could also try Dewprism, Baiten Kaitos, Uncharted Waters 2 SE, and perhaps Albert Odyssey Gaiden.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:05 PM
VGMdb Staff

Well, it might not be reminiscent of Mitsuda's music exactly, but as far as calming/relaxing game music goes, a personal favorite is Spencer Nilsen's Ecco: Songs of Time.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:05 PM

This one might seem obvious, but: piano collections from like, anything.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:50 PM

Got to recommend Ultima IX. Almost are quite soothing and relaxing, but of course there are the occasional tracks that may get a jump out of you. Check it out though.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:42 AM

thought of another one, which might be good depending on what you intend to use the music for (sleep? meditate?)....

some of the symphonic suites are really good, but one that stands out to me that maybe many people haven't heard is Ys.

There's this one, which is definitely more energetic and probably considered a better album overall (it is by many of the people I know, at least) but personally I'm kind of fond of this one, which is also better to rest to in my opinion.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:54 PM

Check out Select Start at http://selectstartband.com . They are different from the typical fan band, as they have an exclusively classical style. They have some free samples at http://selectstartband.com/media.html (their cover of 'Eternal Wind' from Final Fantasy III is highly recommended-- it would melt the anger of any jail-hardened criminal!) and they also have a free CD (http://selectstartband.com/merch.html) for US$12.00 including shipping, which you van buy through Paypal. I just ordered the CD and I will post a review of it here and on their site once I listen to it.

Another good album would be Final Fantasy V Dear Friends (http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=108). This is the ultimate chill ablum, especially 'Lenna's Theme,' 'Music Box' and 'Dear Friends'. Any of the Final Fantasy 4-6 Piano Collections would suffice as well-- works much better than a spa and a sauna ;-<>!.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiolon View Post
I love calm and relaxing style.
Any piano-arrange albums.
Any slower-paced and non-action-packed orchestral albums (e.g. not Wander to Kyozou Original Soundtrack) such as the Dragon Quest symphonic suites.

And below are the soundtracks I personally have used for "calm and relaxing" purposes:

Breath of Fire V Dragon Quarter Original Soundtrack: Plenty of slow atmospheric dungeon themes.
The Black Mages III Darkness and Starlight: Compared to the first two Black Mages albums and anything Guilty Gear, this is "soft" rock with non-offensive guitars so I find it easier-listening.
Dracula ~New Classic~: An obvious one.
Genso Suikoden III Original Soundtrack: A pretty muted non-busy soundtrack with soft-sounding instrumentals.
Koudelka (Original Soundtrack): A pretty quiet soundtrack.
near death experience, SHADOW HEARTS Arrangetracks: Under the right circumstances, I think the album can be pretty sleep-inducing. Contains a few Mitsuda tracks.
SaGa Frontier II Original Soundtrack: A whimsical soundtrack with an emphasis on pianos and recurring themes.
SaGa Frontier II Piano Pieces: Piano + Orchestral.
Valkyrie Profile 2 -Silmeria- Original Soundtrack Vol. 1 + Vol. 2: For the same reasons as Genso Suikoden III.
Valkyrie Profile 2 -Silmeria- Arrange Album: I fell asleep to "Track 6 - A Stable Float" at least once.
Zwei!! Original Soundtrack: A cute soundtrack perfectly supplementing a cute game.