VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Aug 21, 2014, 04:19 PM

Smile To Zanarkand (Very Accurate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJatmYN3hGw

Note changes at 0:57 down to F# left hand instead of up to B, D.

I took the MP3 from the soundtrack and put it through Amazing MIDI than viewed the MIDI in Synthesia, the notes that came out were slightly different to the official sheet music.

I doubt there was much error as it kept the majority of the piece as the usual notes.

I played it with the new notes and it sounds more accurate.

This raises the question was the Nobuo Uematsu's original arrangement changed slightly by Masashi Hamauzu for the sheet music book?

Why do many To Zanarkand versions such as Dissidia, Distant Worlds, Black Mages, Itadaki, FFX Chips all have these notes and not released sheet music.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 05:21 PM

To answer your question, some changes are artistic license, and others are oversights. It doesn't really matter if it sounds fine, and if it bothers you, no one's stopping you from playing it your way (or changing it back, depending on your view). For what it's worth, sheets for any concert production are usually different from official sheet music releases on the count that they come from a different official source, likely closer to the source, or more often than not retranscriptions by the production or performer.

That being said, I'm going to have to contest your video's description of 'very accurate'.

Going by bar numbers in the sheet music, I'm checking the original OST version right now, and your your version differs by: (timestamps in your video)

- (0:07) Bar 2 left hand, the C should be an octave. this is very clear in the OST
- (0:25) Bar 9 left hand, last note should be a D, for the same passing figure going into the next bar like all the other arpeggios (you played E)
- (0:57) Bar 24 left hand, (this is what you brought up). If I understand, you're saying the sheet you have plays G D G A B D, and you think it's G D G A G F#? I checked both the sheets I have and the original OST version, and both actually are G D G A B F# which is neither. Where did you get your sheets?*
- Didn't check past this point.

* Here's a picture that's identical to the sheets I have since I don't have a scanner.

tl;dr:
- Sheets seem identical to both the original OST and the HD remaster version as far as I can tell, at least the sheets I have.
- You shouldn't sweat the small stuff considering your performance already has three differences from the original up till the 1 minute mark.

Last edited by Falk; Aug 21, 2014 at 05:24 PM.