VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So, we've had at least three different tracklist translations for this album. It had one for a while that I think might have come from Chudah's Corner, and then I changed it to something else for some reason (I think the timestamps were off or nonexistent, so I just deleted the old one and copied mine, which looks just like a hybrid of several), and now we have a third one. There's also another one at SEMO, and there are probably fifty trillion more out there.

And they're all basically the same: "Messala's Scheme" vs. "Messala's Plans," "Blue Land Dance" vs. "Blueland Dance," different ways of handling the fact that track 19 is called "Ai" and track 23 is called "Koi" and so you can't just call them both "Love," controversy. But there are some nontrivial differences that I think need to be resolved one way or another, so we have something definitive. At the very least, we need to figure out how we're translating コルロ, because the album title says "Colro" and the tracklist says "Corlo."

Basically I'm just asking for someone who knows what they're talking about to take a look at it.

Some significant differences that jump out at me:
  • various: Colro vs. Corlo
  • Track 2: メドレー is definitely "medley," no matter what CC and SEMO say.
  • Track 10: CC has "Oh the Very Feeling," which is just bad. There are several others that only CC has wrong that I'm just going to omit, like 17.
  • Track 11: "Karen's Pub" vs. "Karen's Restaurant" is significant. Although 店 looks like it just means store?
  • Track 13: "THIS! THAT!" vs. "Sweat! Service!" vs. "Sweat! Go There!"
  • Track 21: "Harmony (Softened)" vs. "Friends (Soft)." The original Japanese is "和(なごみ)," and I think the Hiragana is just the reading, so I think the title should just be "Softened" or whatever it is that actually translates to. "Softened (Nagomi)" if you want to keep the pronunciation guide.
  • Track 24: "My Little Friend" vs. "My Tiny Friend" vs. "My Friend is Furthermore Small"
  • Track 25: "Oh Forest, Answer Me..." vs. "The Forest, Answering..."
  • Track 26: "Forbidding Blue" vs. "Forbidden Blue" is significant. I think "forbidden" would be better here.
  • Track 33: "Strike!!" vs. "Counterattack!!" 反撃 looks to me like it definitely means more like "counterattack" or "strike back" than just "strike."
  • Track 37: "The Grounds Grow ~ Resurrection" vs. "Reviving Grounds ~ Resurrection." The verb there (よみがえった) looks more like it has to do with growing back (being revived, resuscitating, etc.) than just growing.
  • Track 38: Both CC and SEMO have "System" at the end of the track name, but I think we're right and this should just be "Coronation."

whoo that's some tl;dr
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:28 PM

Haven't played the game myself but looking at the Wikipedia page among others I'd say the following:

-I think Corlo is a more obvious choise than Colro. This fansite http://corlo.kackun.com/ uses Corlo also.
-Track 2 would definitely be "medley"
-Track 10 is fine as it is. "Oh the Very Feeling," makes no sense whatsoever here.
-Karen's pub is fine for track 11. The Wikipedia page mentiones she runs an 居酒屋 (bar/pub/tavern are all fine here)
-Track 13 would mean "Do this! Do that!" or "Do it like this! Do it like that!"
-I'd translate クロヒゲ track 14 as "Blackbeard".
-I agree about the hiragana in 和(なごみ) in track 21 simply denoting the reading. I'd go with "Comfort" or "Soothingness" here instead of "Softness".
-Track 24 could just be "A Tiny/Little Friend". No possesives in the original, so no need to add any (this could just as easily mean "Your Tiny Friend").
-I'm with you on track 26; "forbidden" seems like the obvious choice.
-Agreed on track 33 also; should be "Counterattack"
-"Island of Vanished Greenery" seems a bit literal for track 35 (緑の消えた島). I'd prefer something like "Island Devoid of Green" or maybe "Wilthered Island".
-Track 37 would, as you suggested be something along the lines of "Revived Earth: Rebirth"
-I'd go with "Corronation Ceremony" on track 38.
-Lastly I'd translate the last track as "Believing in Tomorrow" or "Believe in Tomorrow" rather than "I Believe in Tomorrow".

Pwew

I went ahead and made the updates I suggested (and made a few other tiny tweaks). Let me know what you think.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I like it ("Blackbeard" was a pretty good one). I did some searching and it seems most English references to the game have settled on "Corlo," which wasn't the case about a year or two ago. Wouldn't surprise me if the translation finally being finished has something to do with it.

I just changed track 2 to also say "Come On! To the Skies!" (same change you made to track 17) and dropped the "the" from the album name to match the tracklist.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:01 AM

Thanks for catching those inconsistencies. On second thought Colro would work just als well as Corlo, but the latter does seem to be more widely used. This game kind of looks like fun btw.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 03:23 PM

I had been responsible for the initial track titles before I even got halfway into the game. At the time I was very inexperienced in Japanese and desperately wanted someone to translate them. But I'm really glad someone already has.

Having played through an English translation of the game, I finally have enough of the essence of the title, and I'm grateful for the efforts to polish up the translation of the track titles.

-Jon T.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 03:35 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's all good. I cringe when I see translations that I made 4 or 5 years ago.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 07:26 PM

I made a transcription of the notes by the late Akihiko Mori. Here they are in Japanese.

湧き出る泉のように

ゲーム音楽そ作曲するときは、がいつもどういう曲イメージに合うかを考えるようにしています。
音楽は, 人によって好みの違いがはっきりしているので、少なくとも自分自身が好きだと言えるようにしなければいけな いと常に意識しています。 そんな中で、J2は (1の時もそうでしたが)私の音楽の感覚ととても近いものがあい、思いのままに、湧き出る泉のように作曲で きました。
今回, 新しいハードの為、実機に落とし込む作業の方は結横苦労しました。 カタログ上のスぺックは理解できても、それを最大限生かすにはどのようにすると良いのか、最初のうちは結横 手間取つた記憶があリます。 私は、良皆のゲームが有ってはじめて音楽の効果が出てくるものと考えています。素晴らしいゲームを創い上げ た皆さんに感謝しつつそれに負けない音楽そ作曲できるよう、これからも切磋琢磨して励んでいます。
Old Feb 16, 2020, 08:12 PM

Thank you very much for the transcription! I always loved the music by him. May his soul rest in peace.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 08:42 PM

If only someone could translate them. His score for Wonder Project J 2 is a real treasure. One of the better soundtracks from the N64 era IMO. The sound palette may be somewhat compressed and muffled at times, but the emotional scope the songs offer more than overshadow that flaw. In fact, I consider it an arguably superior score to its more quirky but still charming predecessor.

What a shame this composer's career was cut short, but his music lives on, and Wonder Project J 2 is a fitting swan song to his output. One that merits serious consideration for game music collectors of any kind.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
I made a transcription of the notes by the late Akihiko Mori. Here they are in Japanese.

湧き出る泉のように

ゲーム音楽作曲するときは、がいつもどういう曲イメージに合うかを考えるようにしています。音楽は, 人によって好みの違いがはっきりしているので、少なくとも自分自身が好きだと言えるようにしなければいけな いと常に意識しています。 そんな中で、J2は (1の時もそうでしたが)私の音楽の感覚ととても近いものがあ、思いのままに、湧き出る泉のように作曲できました。今回, 新しいハードの為、実機に落とし込む作業の方は結苦労しました。カタログ上のスぺックは理解できても、それを最大限生かすにはどのようにすると良いのか、最 初のうちは結手間取た記憶があリます。私は、良のゲームが有ってはじめて音楽の効果が出てくるものと考えています。素晴らしいゲームを創り上げた皆さんに感謝しつつそれに負けない音楽作曲できるよう、これからも切磋琢磨して励んでいます。
Corrected some errors (bolded) and some unnecessary spaces. Will translate soon.

Last edited by Aifread; Feb 17, 2020 at 03:02 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 09:16 PM

Translation:

Like a gushing spring

When I write game music, I always think about what musical impression will fit the scene.
We all have our own taste in music, so I at least want to make the kind of music that I myself enjoy. Among the music I've made, J2 (and J1 as well) were very close to my own musical sense, and came out naturally as water from a gushing spring.
The new hardware this time around proved to be somewhat of a challenge for those who had to program the music into the actual game. I remember there were a lot of unexpected difficulties in trying to achieve the best possible sound at first, even knowing all the catalog specs. I think this is the first time that the quality of the game itself has had an effect on my music. I am eternally grateful to the people who make such wonderful games and push me to polish my craft even further so that I can compose music of equal quality.

Last edited by Aifread; Feb 17, 2020 at 03:00 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:08 PM

@Alfred, awesome job!

Here's notes from the producer of Wonder Project J 2: Hiroki Fujimoto. Again, bonus points if anyone can translate them:

J2サウンドの魅力
皆さん、「ワンダープロジェクト J 2 ~コルロの森のジョゼット~」はもう遊んで頂けたでしょうか?
「もう終わっちゃったよ!」というひともたくさんいるとは思いますが、普通に遊んだだけではジョゼットの全 てを知ることはおそらく出来ないでしょう。エンディングクリアーに向けてー気にプレイするのも良いですが、 その後はどうそダラダラジョゼットとつきあってみて下さい。きつと彼せの隠されたー面を見ることが出来るで しょう。そうすれば、ワンダープロジェクト J 2の世界がもっと好きにな思います。世界を構成する重要な要素のひとっとして、音楽があリます。
このCDは世界観をより膨らませるために、内容がギュッ!
と詰まったものになっていると思います。
このCDを聞いて、思い出に耽るもよし、新たな冒険を忘想するもよし、色々な聞き方をしてくれると嬉しいで す。

Last edited by JTurner; Feb 16, 2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 01:38 AM

Again, there are some errors in your transcription. Here it is fixed with the translation below.

J2サウンドの魅力
皆さん、「ワンダープロジェクト J 2 ~コルロの森のジョゼット~」はもう遊んで頂けたでしょうか?「もう終わっちゃったよ!」というひともたく さんいるとは思いますが、普通に遊んだだけではジョゼットの全てを知ることはおそらく出来ないでしょう。エ ンディングクリアーに向けて一気にプレイするのも良いですが、その後はどうぞダラダラとジョゼットとつきあ ってみて下さい。きっと彼女の隠された一面を見ることが出来るでしょう。そうすれば、ワンダープロジェクト J 2の世界がもっと好きになると思います。世界を構成する重要な要素のひとつとして、音楽があリます。このC Dは世界観をより膨らませるために、内容がギュッ!と詰まったものになっていると思います。このCDを聞い て、思い出に耽るもよし、新たな冒険を妄想するもよし、色々な聞き方をしてくれると嬉しいです。

J2's musical charm
Are you all enjoying Wonder Project J2: Josette of the Corlo Forest? I can already hear some of you saying, "I already finished it!" but you probably haven't seen all there is to see of Josette just by playing through the game normally. Of course rushing through to the end is fine too, but I encourage you to continue to get to know Josette after the credits roll. You're sure to see another hidden side of her. I think you'll come to enjoy the world of Wonder Project J2 even more if you do so. An important factor in world-building is the music, and this CD has been jam-packed with enough music to fill that world. As you listen, you may lose yourself in your memories or see visions of a brand new adventure. I'll be happy if people can enjoy this CD on multiple levels.

Last edited by Aifread; Feb 17, 2020 at 02:55 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 02:24 PM

I apologize for my errors. I was trying to transcribe the notes as accurately as possible, and it wasn't easy to do so. But I really appreciate the clean-ups.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post

. At the very least, we need to figure out how we're translating コルロ, because the album title says "Colro" and the tracklist says "Corlo."

guidebook writes colro