VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 2, 2018, 05:09 AM
VGMdb Staff

Update: Suikoden II is 100% funded now.

Based on the current trend, it even seems like the $27,500 stretch goal (full album) might be possible.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 06:58 PM

Here's an idea for a future project. Pilotwings 64.

Reasons this might be a good project are:

- The music is great, but the game did not get a published OST. It was originally intended to, but the album was cancelled. Relevant link here: https://vgmdb.net/album/57774 .
- A few tracks from the game have been published on the Cool Cuts CD. I believe Kentaro said this can help with licensing. Evidence of this publication here: https://i.imgur.com/TSTGq2R.jpg
- Dan Hess, the composer of the soundtrack, has expressed interest in a recreation of the Pilotwings 64 tracks. See the top comment here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEu...LnPr-ONHgCoAEC
-- Maybe Dan would be interested in working with Kentaro and VGM Classics

Given the info above, I'm hoping this project idea sounds interesting!

Last edited by Rrolack; Sep 9, 2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 03:37 AM

Dear Rrolack

In general, it is far easier for VGMC to approach the copyright owners, if there have been official CDs/albums published already.

When it comes to "Company N," we have alraedy negociated with "N" about many of their titles. VGMC may only consider game titles or music we are allowed, and unfotuantely, we could only consider some pieces from Pilotwings, and two pieces of Pilotwings 64 (as it was published in the Cool Cuts CD, as you mentioned).

VGMC is happy to collaborate or help Mr. Hess if he got a permission or a license from "N" to release a CD.
But otherwise, it would be very difficult for VGMC to consider a Pilotwings 64 album...

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Sep 10, 2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 01:58 PM

I backed the Suikoden album at the $60, but my preference would have been Star Fox 64, it's just that that's clearly not gonna make it. I'm not an expert on fundraising or Kickstarter, and maybe someone has said this on Kickstarter itself for one of the projects, but I think doing three at a time might be too much for the fanbase to successfully fund simultaneously. I'd be willing to back all the albums, but based on the tiers people are backing at, most people clearly want a physical copy but the price may be straining some people's finances when there are three at once, forcing them to choose one and then the projects are effectively competing with each other. One may emerge the clear victor, as has happened in this case, drawing others in to back it because their preferred choice hasn't been the choice of enough other people to make it likely to succeed, as has happened to me and likely others.

My unsolicited advice is to do one project at a time with a little bit of time between them. Your words here in the thread are very encouraging that you'll take an approach that appeals to the kind of game music fans who contribute to a database on game music, so many of us would probably back practically everything you do if the albums turn out as well as it sounds like they will.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 07:19 PM

Dear _if

Thank you for your comment. VGMC have been recieving many suggestions including suggestions similar to you.
Presenting one project at a time actually is more difficult to schedule the recording session (with a regularly-performing orchestra), and it is less cost effective way of doing recording to tell you the truth (about $2000 ~ $3000).

However, now we have more ideas and statistics, we will certainly try to do better next time! And I hope that the chance for VGMC to feature StarFox 64 and StarFox (the original) would come soon again in future (with crowd-funding or without), especially since there is an orchestral concert featuring music of StarFox 64 coming up in Japan.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:59 AM

Will there be any backerkit or extended crowdfunding on the Suikoden II project? For some reason my pledge was missing and the kickstarter ended yesterday
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:15 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
Will there be any backerkit or extended crowdfunding on the Suikoden II project? For some reason my pledge was missing and the kickstarter ended yesterday
Are you sure you backed the new project and not the old one?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:22 AM

Dear Zorbfish, please contact VGM Classics about this. They can be reached via e-mail from the official website, or the private message function of Kickstarter.

Right now, VGM Classics is asking the right owners and the related parties whether they could do extended crowdfunding with 3rd party platform or not.
(and since this is a time of Tokyo Game Show, we have to wait until next week probably)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
is it really pertinent to make a gensou suikoden 2?
there are already so many suiko (about 15) arrange albums, one more is really useful?
just saw (because I didn't know before) that a suiko concert happened in august
so, I re-ask, is it really pertinent to make another suikoden so close with each other?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 03:24 AM

Dear Phonograph

Apparently, it is, according to backers.
I attended the August concert actually, and i was able to talk to many audience members at the little after-concert party (with about 60 people), and they were all fine with orchestral or classical ensemble CDs for mainly two reasons.

1) There are arrangement CDs, but they are mostly non-orchestral.
2) There are some orchestral recordings, but they are medely or selections from the series.

And one lady told me that we'd never say we have enough recordings of Beethoven 9th or Take the A train. Therefore VGMC should just make what many people want first, and then if there was profit, make something VGMC feels important...

By the way, one thing I was suprized about the August concert was that the audience was mainly female, like 10:1 or even 15:1. There are concerts featuring Suikoden II music coming up in Japan in November. And most of the people I talked told me they will attend that too.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 04:27 AM

If I wanted to be a bit... ;p

I could say women attend vgm concerts to meet guys, ahah
any interesting find, ken-chan? =)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 04:54 AM

Dear Phonograph

>>I could say women attend vgm concerts to meet guys, ahah

And they did meet, in music, their favorite characters. ....But I am not kidding this though.

Here were my other findings.
1) One thing was sure, they ALL have their favorite characters, but all loved the protagonist of I.
2) The goods sale went crazy at the concert. And there were two new limited CDs on sale, one with jazz qurtet, and the other with woodwinds quintet. Each cost about $18, and contains only 4 tracks. People bought both, but I thought it would be kinder for makers to put all tracks into one CD, and sold at $20 or so.
3) They all wanted Suikoden 6.
4) There were 5 flower stands which was made by fans, and each stand represented 5 main titles. And they looked great.

Well, another thing that VGMC just told me was the prereminary result of the survey VGMC gave to the Suikoden II backers. This survey was mainly forcused on the repatoire request, but also there is a section to list three game titles he/she wished VGMC to feature.
There were a lot of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Chross. But I was bit confused to see Xenogears on the list too. I thought there was an orchestral CD avaialble...

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Sep 21, 2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 05:10 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato
There were a lot of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Chross. But I was bit confused to see Xenogears on the list too. I thought there was an orchestral CD available...
The problem with letting fans decide is that the most popular games will come out on top, regardless of whether they "need" orchestral treatment or not.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 05:48 AM

You know, nextday.
I would like to do some follow up quesions to people who answered Xenogears...
Is this "we will never have enough Beethoven 9th" kind of requests, or others etc?

By the way, some people wrote "Ultima 3 (NE/FC)." There are Wizardry 1, 2, 3 (by Mr. Haneda) too. As far as licensing goes, we could do this rather easiy and with score publication too.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 06:27 AM

iirc, xenogears orchestration (myth) was bad and I think mitsuda himself was dissatisfied by the orchestra
I won't mind another orchestration better made, even if it takes time (when it's too early/fast made, it's generally bad)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 07:33 AM

Dear Phonograph

Really? That would be sad.
I kind of remember that while I was working with SQEX some years ago, and I was told that Mr. Mitsuda was the one wanted to make the album, and produced it by himself...
Old Sep 21, 2018, 08:23 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato View Post
Dear Phonograph

I kind of remember that while I was working with SQEX some years ago, and I was told that Mr. Mitsuda was the one wanted to make the album, and produced it by himself...
I think it's more that Mitsuda sets very high standards for himself. He's known for being a perfectionist.

I remember hearing something about budget constraints too.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato View Post
Dear Phonograph

Phonograph is right. It wasn't a good album: poor recording quality, poor and under-rehearsed performance, poor arrangements (Mitsuda only did two orchestrations himself).
Old Sep 22, 2018, 05:52 AM

Dear Jormungand

I see. I looked at the official website, and it looked like they worked with Bulgarian Symphony Orchestra. I am surpized to hear the recording quality. I have worked with BSO number of times before. Although they are a pick-up orchestra, they were fine, and the studio acoustics is one of the most favorable.

>>Mitsuda only did two orchestrations himself

I know that Mr. Mitsuda usually does not do the orchestraltion by himself. But I am suprized he did only two for his own production...
In anyway, if it comes out poor, it is sad... Since I loved the game...

And I must curse whoever stole my copy of the OST album from my car!

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Sep 23, 2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 03:39 PM

In regards to Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, etc, some music is so good that it deserves multiple treatments. It's not like recording the same arrangements again and again (Distant Worlds, ahem). If a game gets a lot of attention, it's usually just a few themes played over and over, maybe 5% of the actual game soundtrack. There is still 95% of new material to explore. And even the old 5% can be re-arranged in new and exciting ways. Chrono trigger appears in a lot of orchestral work, but it's usually the same 3 or 4 themes, and many times the themes appear as short snippets in a medley or suite, with very little time or depth given to each theme. There has never been an actual Chrono Trigger Orchestral album (unless you count https://vgmdb.net/album/10278, which is less than 7 minutes long!)

Xenogears had a full album, but like others said the quality is questionable on many tracks. The concert Mitsuda did in April though was near perfect though, too bad they won't record that as an album!

I think most people are interested in both relatively obscure games and relatively obscure tracks from the classics (as well as fresh takes on classic themes). That's pretty broad, I know
Old Sep 23, 2018, 04:08 AM

I like the Xeno album. Not the best thing in the world, but it's hardly bad like people are saying *shrug*

I do wish they would have recorded the full length game-specific concerts I've been hearing about. There was one for FFVI some years ago and how it was described also made me cry/rage because I can never hear it...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
I do wish they would have recorded the full length game-specific concerts I've been hearing about. There was one for FFVI some years ago and how it was described also made me cry/rage because I can never hear it...
I feel your pain! The Game Symphony Japan FFVI and FFVII concerts sound epic. Not hearing them is something I will regret on my deathbed.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 06:37 AM

I haven't been visiting this thread as often as I should. How are things coming up for a possible Star Fox album? I heard regardless if the backing plan doesn't go well, there's a concert going in Japan anyway. What's it about? I'm not expecting to get a recording of it since it's not huge but that'd be fantastic.

I've been a fan of Star Fox since I was a teen and the thing that got me into it above all or the start was the FANTASTIC music. With obvious roots in space-opera which I also adore. And I'd die, to hear more Star Fox orchestrated as it should be. My wish would be to get an official soundtrack collection of Assault in CD. But that's never happened and never will, though I'd back up a kickstarter for that, too.

I'd hope a Star Fox concert happens, and for it to feature mostly songs that haven't been recorded before, give them a shiny new life. And maybe in the middle some good originals. Nonetheless that's impossible as its too many songs. Stil, it's irrelevant because ANY type of Star Fox orchestra I welcome no matter even the choices which I trust to be good.

Good luck on that endeavor.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 03:59 AM

Dear PonyoBellanote

Unfortunaely, StarFox funding did not meet the funding goal. However, VGMC will still seek other opportunities in future. Now, StarFox 64 will be featured in one of the orchestral concert in Japan soon. Hopefully, there will be renewed interests soon.

Now, some of you have asked about the Illusion of Gaia negociation. Currently, Mr. Kawasaki (the compoer) is doing negociation with SQEX. At this point, we cannot say anything, but sooner or later it will happen.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 01:54 PM

Those are terribly sad news I hear.. Seems like I'll still have to go with the little there is to hear Star Fox symphonic.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 03:28 AM

almost 6 months with no new posts, anything new about projects etc?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 07:51 AM

Dear Phonograph.
Thanks for your poking.
There are updates on Kickstarter and the most recent one is a video from the recording session, but that is a backer only.

So, here are a brief summary in the past six month.
1) Suikoden II was the only one which got funded.
2) Because of a special request from the related parties, we did piano recording in January.
3) We have recorded the orchestra in the beginning of March, and now in the postproduction.

There are some things that the company has to decide, but we will soon be announcing those in the kickstarter platform.
Old May 29, 2019, 08:49 PM
VGMdb Staff

New post about future albums:
Quote:
We are sure there are still people who are waiting for their physical CD to arrive, but we would like to share with you where we would go from here as a company.

As we stated in the funding page, our original budge was that the pledge amount would cover about 50% to 70% of the total production cost. As you are aware, we have extended the recording time, and the production cost and the license fee became more expensive than our thought. Artistically, we would like to think that this decision gave better musical justice to the original music and it brought better musical experience to you, contributing wider musical culture. However, ultimately it also brought a larger financial risk to VGM Classics, and our music director took almost all the risk for us. We really can't thank him enough for all the works and labor of love he has given to this project.

Now, we have stated before that we would do “Suikoden 1” project next. However, after farther negotiations with the related parties, we can do so only after the total sale of this album exceeds 3000 units from the initial press (physical and digital album combined). At this point, we already distributed about 800 unites to you, therefore, 2200 units to go. We are allowed to upgrade your reward and sell CDs up to three for $20 each. If you are interested in doing so, please contact us at [email protected]

As far as the general public release goes, we will start selling the CD at Amazon US as soon as they received the product. We are also in negotiation with Amazon Japan, but it has been difficult because they currently don’t take any new CD seller application. If Amazon Japan doesn’t take us, we are considering teaming up with BOOTH, other Japanese online sales site. Anyway, we hope you can help us spread the words once the CD becomes available to the general public!

On the other hand, we are in negotiation for other possible projects such as Stardew Valley, ChronoTrigger, Romancing Saga 2, Donkey Kong, Secret of Mana, Ledged of Mana, ActRaiser, Pokemon Red/Green & Gold/Silver, Xenogears to name some. We hope that we contribute to the advancement of musical art and culture at large, and we can continue what we do!

Now, there are still backers who have not completed the shipping survey. For Lv3 and 4 backers, we really can’t send their reward! If you know somebody, we appreciate that you would remind them!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2522013
Old May 30, 2019, 07:50 AM

it's not surprising and even expected to see a project costing more than the initial budget

for next project, I'd vote for seiken densetsu 2 or xenogears (I guess it's supposed to be Legend and not Ledged?)
Old May 30, 2019, 08:27 AM

I wish they would cover more unknown games, which aren't that popular like others. Always there will be fan favorites like Final Fantasy, Xenogears, or Chrono Trigger. The music isn't bad, by all means, but they've been covered that much in the past and future (Xenogears already has a brand new concert), which makes games like Suikoden simply be overlooked, which is such a shame.

Why not covering Street Fighter 2, Castlevania, Grandia, Vagrant Story or more Mario music. Even Enix back than had gems on the SNES like Rudra's Hidden Treasure (R. Sasai) or Mystic Ark (A. Mori), which are sadly only known for Japanese audience, but had incredible soundtracks. But exactly that's the problem - they're unknown by most of the people and those are not willing to support a project they're unfamiliar with