VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:46 PM

Default Keeping care of your Collection

Preface:
I did a quick search or two in hopes of finding a similar topic, but failed to find one. That said, feel free to point me to a proper thread if one already exists. (Or a proper sub-forum to post this under, if that's the case) Alright, that said and done. . .

I recently got a couple CDs from a fellow VGMdb user which (as described in the sale) had a small number of light scratches on them. While I have no problem at all with the quality as described, it got me thinking about my own collection.

Typically I'm very protective of my VGM collection. It's probably the most sacred of my different collections, and as such I try to prevent any (further, in the case of my new acquisitions) scratches and scuffs to my discs.

I think what I'm eventually getting to here, is do any of you fellow music fans/collectors have any particular hints for keeping discs in good (or great) condition? I'm not going for a sealed and mint collection, and realize that it's not like people intentionally scratch up their CDs. I'm just curious though if there are any little pointers that I may have looked past.

One example is that I've contemplated putting my discs in a wallet, but hear horror stories / paranoia about said wallets scratching up CDs / DVDs. Due to this, I tend to keep my discs all in their jewel cases.

Thanks in advance for your replies. Curious to see your answers.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:00 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Well what I normally do is rip all of my CDs with Exact Audio Copy so that I have a digital form of the CD on my computer and then, if I need to, I burn copies from the digital files to CD-Rs. Now that I have digital copies of the CDs in lossless, which can be decoded and re-encoded into any other format of my choosing, I no longer have to use the original physical copies and can store them, in original jewel case and all, safely away enclosed in bubble wrap and a box.

Personally I feel that it's important to make a backup of my CDs just in case they may become damaged or lost somehow, it's also easier to organize and listen to my music collection once it's on a computer. If this isn't something that you're interested in and you prefer to listen directly from the physical copies, there are products out there that may help. One that I had read about in a magazine awhile back is d_skin disc protectors. I've never used this product myself but it might be worth looking into. Hope this info is helpful to ya.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:54 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Jewels are certainly better than a wallet or sleeves, when it comes to preserving the disc's condition, as the disc is held by the center and not being slid across the surface of the wallet/sleeve.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:14 AM

After ripping the music, I just keep them on their original jewel cases and keep those in a normal cd rack. Anything else seems overkill to me. It's not like they wear and tear magically without me using them.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Yeah I rip all of my music and store the discs away neatly in their original cases. Not only do I prefer to have all my music stored on my hard drive (for use in iTunes/iPod/etc.), but it prevents the discs from being manhandled by myself and/or others, thus keeping them in prime condition.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:37 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

And of course it's always a good idea to keep your video game music collection in prime condition seeing as so much of it goes out of print rather quickly and, if you decide to sell, you can get more money for items that haven't been used/tampered with much.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:44 PM

I never pop any of my original CDs in any CD players in fear of them getting scratched. I only listen the CDR copies I make of them.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:47 PM
Trusted Editor

To keep care of your collection: Invest some money in a shelf that doesn't collapse as soon as you walk out of your room (Link) *scnr* *g* (@Boyblunder: I hope you forgive me!! )

I currently have some simple CD shelfs from IKEA, three ones to be precise. Since a single one is really unstable and I didn't have the nerve to drill holes in my walls I decided to put the three together and connected them at the top with a strip of wood. This way the whole thing is very stable.

Pic here (crappy webcam shot):
Link
The two BILLY shelfs surrounding the construction give additional stability.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:10 AM

I have those same Ikea CD shelves, but I keep mine horizontal, stacked on top of each other and offset slightly. I have five of them on each side of the room. I have to keep them horizontal because the room they are in has very low ceilings. The shelves simply act as dividers in that configuration.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:49 AM

my collection rests rather precariously on shelves above my desk.

if they were to come down unexpectedly, my computer, monitor, sound module, consoles etc. would be the first to know about it... i'm assured they're secured well, about 10 years and no problems yet! can't help thinkin' though... :/
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:16 PM
VGMdb Staff

I don't do a lot to protect my albums apart from using vgmworld's slipcases to keep the cases dust, dirt and scratch-free. I like them a lot and can really recommend them.

I also use the above mentioned BENNO cd/dvd shelves from IKEA to store my cds - I'm quite happy with them since they don't take up a lot of space (only 17 cm deep), they are very sturdy and easy to attach to the wall with the included hinges. Being able to alter the positioning of the shelves is a big plus as well.