VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:46 AM

Default About the search engine

There is any way to search for "Products represented", for example if I want to know every CD related to Blazblue, if I search for Blazblue I get only the CDs called Blazblue but not the singles related to Blazblue because they obviously don't have the Blazblue name on the title.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:07 AM

in advanced search, there is a "Product contains" field
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:53 AM

Ok, it works great, thanks!.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:59 PM

That works only if a product has been entered for them and they have been linked. So as of now if you search for something unlinked so far. You won't get a listing of it. It would be useful if it also brought up unlinked products so you can see them and link them.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
That works only if a product has been entered for them and they have been linked. So as of now if you search for something unlinked so far. You won't get a listing of it. It would be useful if it also brought up unlinked products so you can see them and link them.
only if a product exists, linked or not is irrelevant (only if you check "No product links")
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:33 PM

It's irrelevant for finding products, but not for finding CDs that represent them. kosmos's goal is to find media that represents a certain product by going to the product's page, so if the media isn't linked to the product then this goal won't be achieved. And as Fearin mentioned, not everything is linked.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
... kosmos's goal is to find media that represents a certain product by going to the product's page, ...
he never said he wanted to search for products from the products page itself
he just wanted to know how to search for a certain product

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmos
There is any way to search for "Products represented" ...
me > in advanced search, there is a "Product contains" field
him > Ok, it works great, thanks!.

don't you get I solved his "problem" ?
no need to make stuff more confusing

Last edited by Phonograph; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:44 PM

Okay, I didn't mean to say this method wasn't the best way to do it, just that it won't necessarily show the things he may want the products page to show. He said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmos View Post
if I search for Blazblue I get only the CDs called Blazblue but not the singles related to Blazblue because they obviously don't have the Blazblue name on the title.
and what Fearin and I were trying to point out is that just because you find the BlazBlue product page in VGMdb, doesn't mean you will find all the singles related to BlazBlue because the singles may not be linked. If all he wanted to do is search for products, then okay, but I think that on VGMdb you don't search for products unless you want to find music related to the products; we're a music site and not a game information site, there'd be no other reason to search products. And especially with the examples kosmos gave, I was led to believe that. So, I just thought it was fair that kosmos know that those details do matter.

But again, I'm not saying this method isn't worth using, just that if you don't find something you think might exist with this method, don't give up and possibly search for it manually.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:58 PM

there is a difference between "search" and "advanced search"
if you search for keywords in "search" you can't have all info you expect whereas with "advanced search" you can have more results

he said it, since you can't see singles results with "search" because the products isn't (almost never) in the album title or catalog hence his question to have more accurate results