VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Hajime Wakai (#692)

Apparently Hajime Wakai is in charge of music for Skyward Sword.

Quote:
Kondo: Our next title, Skyward Sword, also has a wide variety of impressive songs, and it has new musical gameplay elements. Hajime Wakai is in charge of the music, but I also participated in making songs. My composition tools are an electronic piano and a Mac. We use orchestras for a few different songs where we feel that doing so is appropriate.
This could be interesting.

(I suppose since this is Zelda we won't be hearing anything like the F-Zero X staff roll theme but A MAN CAN DREAM)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:39 PM

YES YES YES YES YES!

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Wow. Rest assured, this will be a great score. Wakai is Nintendo's best orchestral composer, hands down.

I'm sure other composers besides Kondo will assist, but Wakai being put at the helm is the best decision they could have made. I think he'll impress the higher-ups, and perhaps be the new go-to Zelda guy (since Nintendo seems not to care about serious Star Fox entries anymore).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:11 PM

Awesome. I'm just relieved we get something new that isn't Ohta and/or Minegishi. Wakai will be a refreshing choice. Nagata would be the icing on the cake!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:56 PM

I'm surprised at how little I care about this. I guess we'll see. His Star Fox 64 work is exceptional, but he never matched that quality in any of his other scores. I don't remember being very impressed with Wind Waker either, the other Zelda game he worked on.

I got crap for saying this in another thread, but Nintendo's sound team really sucks now, and I'm not sure why. I used to like them. Koji Kondo, Hirokazu Tanaka, Soyo Oka, Akito Nakatsuka, Minako Hamano. All great artists. But ever since the Gamecube era started up, they have been stuck in 'casual cute' mode, and never recovered. Maybe it's pressure from upper management or something. Unless Wakai has something up his sleave (and this will be the proof we need to see whether or not he was a one-hit wonder), I don't think this score is going to be very good.

At the very least, it shouldn't be as bad as Twilight Princess.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
His Star Fox 64 work is exceptional, but he never matched that quality in any of his other scores.
Star Fox Command? The new orchestral work is right in line with his SF64 material. Anyway, it's a bit unfair to judge Wakai in this case--look at the non-Star Fox and non-Zelda titles he's had to write music for:

Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Pikmin 1 & 2, Nintendogs, Smash Bros. Brawl, New Super Mario Brothers... and he was the sound director for Big Brain Academy.

I'd of walked out if I knew I would have to write for so many cutesy and/or casual games.

Uppa brings up a good point though--it could mean Wakai is "moving up" (in the world of entertainment, for some reason, having no part in the actual creative aspect of a product is equated with moving up") and supervising other composers.

Lunar, thanks for mentioning Yokota. He was likely in charge of orchestrating the pieces that were recorded live. If he composed a little too, I'd be fine with that.

I wonder whose idea it was to reverse Princess Zelda's theme for the Skyward Sword main theme? Pretty brilliant IMO, and something rarely used in game music (actually, I can't think of any examples myself). Classical composers would use all sorts of tricks like this to get the most mileage out of their themes; I'm glad someone at Nintendo thought of this, because it turned out to work great. That particular melody, when reversed, makes for a convincing main theme (though some of the chords were changed).
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Star Fox Command? The new orchestral work is right in line with his SF64 material.
Well, they're both orchestral and, on the surface, sound sort of similar. But the quality of composition is not as high. The game rip I had was long and incredibly repetitive; I was unable to sit through the entire thing my first time listening. It felt very empty to me.

Compare it to the far more ambitious 64 score. Part of it had to do with the ingenious way Wakai had melded creative orchestral composition with the limited N64 sound chip. Nothing on Command's soundtrack compares to Corneria, Aquas, or Zoness.

Quote:
Anyway, it's a bit unfair to judge Wakai in this case--look at the non-Star Fox and non-Zelda titles he's had to write music for:
I disagree with this idea that the tone or quality of the game somehow excuses the composer from creating sub-par work. Chocobo no Fushigina Dungeon was a cutesy POS, but that didn't stop Hamauzu from crafting a good score around it. Ditto for Jun Ishikawa and Kirby, or Yasunori Mitsuda and Inazuma Eleven. A truly great composer should be able to take the concept of the material they're scoring and do something creative with it. Creating elevator music for Nintendog's is not something a composer with vision would do. IMO.

I'm still willing to give Wakai a fair shot with this new Zelda score. I just wanted to explain where my cyinicism is coming from, is all.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
I disagree with this idea that the tone or quality of the game somehow excuses the composer from creating sub-par work.
Not my idea really, just defending Wakai... would you set a game like Nintendogs to Wagnerian symphonic cues?

Quote:
Chocobo no Fushigina Dungeon was a cutesy POS, but that didn't stop Hamauzu from crafting a good score around it.
Not a fair comparison, Hamauzu is brilliant and his eclecticism is perfectly suited to weird cutesy crap like Chocobo's Dungeon.

Quote:
Ditto for Jun Ishikawa and Kirby, or Yasunori Mitsuda and Inazuma Eleven.
I can say with great conviction that I much prefer Ishikawa's work on Alcahest, Arcana, and HyperZone over Kirby; and damn near everything Mitsuda has done over Inazuma Eleven. Still good music, even great, but not up to their normal standard. I feel the same about Wakai's "serious" scores compared to his casual stuff, except perhaps the quality gap is wider than the aforementioned composers.

Quote:
A truly great composer should be able to take the concept of the material they're scoring and do something creative with it. Creating elevator music for Nintendog's is not something a composer with vision would do. IMO.
I dunno man... it's NINTENDOGs. I'm trying to think how I would've done it. You know, Yoko Kanno did these amazing piano cues for some Japanese documentary about puppies or something--sounded like improvisation at points, but was deliciously playful and whimsical in its musical language. It's a silly comparison to make, but it's true that some composers will really go out on a project. Then again, directors know damn well to let Yoko Kanno do what Yoko Kanno wants. Maybe Miyamoto explicitly requested "elevator music". I wouldn't put it past him.

Quote:
I'm still willing to give Wakai a fair shot with this new Zelda score. I just wanted to explain where my cyinicism is coming from, is all.
I understand, and your cynicism is warranted. However, if Wakai took a serious approach, I really think it's going to be fantastic.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:21 AM

If he's "in charge" of the music, does that actually mean he'll be composing for Skyward Sword? Or is he going to do what Nagata did with New Super Mario Bros. Wii and simply supervise the compositions of younger composers, without composing much himself? Wakai's been at Nintendo for a decent stint of time, now--about the same as Nagata--so I wouldn't be too surprised if it's the latter.

Not that I actually want the case to be the latter, mind. I really like Wakai's melodies when they're good--and if Molgera's theme in Wind Waker truly is the work of Wakai, then I risk getting my expectations up quite considerably--though his name is attached, albeit amongst others, to some games that I'm not overly fond of. That said, it would be so refreshing to have Wakai at the helm of Skyward Sword's soundtrack; he's never been in the driving seat for a Zelda game like this before, so he could feasibly bring some ideas and feelings about music to the table that haven't been in Zelda hitherto. If they let him, that is.

(Also: I'm probably making a useless plea here, but please, Nintendo: somehow, keep Minegishi and Ohta away from this game. I don't get on with those two at all. Like Raizen, I'm finding myself pining for the Nintendo composers of old.)

Last edited by Uppa; Jun 23, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:02 AM

Mahito Yokota is supposed to be involved as well:

Quote:
Yokota: I've been steeped in The Legend of Zelda this past year.
Iwata: Steeped in Zelda?
Yokota: I only worked on The Legend of Zelda. Two games at the same time!
Iwata: Huh? Two at the same time? I didn't know that!
Yokota: One was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and the other is The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
although it's not clear whether he is composing or is simply "orchestration director", and of course there could be other composers involved that haven't been mentioned as of yet. but anyway, Kondo + Wakai + Yokota would be a great lineup. Initially I would have been phased by the announcement of zelda using orchestral music, but after hearing SMG1+2's scores, I'm confident it'll still be excellent and have plenty of charm that's trademark to their games. plus Kondo saying "we use orchestras for a few different songs where we feel that doing so is appropriate" is only further reassurement; so it won't be 100% symphonic thankfully. there's nothing I'd hate more than a generic, lifeless zelda score that is orchestral just under the pretense that symphonic is better.

Quote:
(I suppose since this is Zelda we won't be hearing anything like the F-Zero X staff roll theme but A MAN CAN DREAM)
damn straight, i want HAJIME WANKAI.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:03 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:05 PM

Here's some good direct feed audio for one of the dungeon themes. I like it a lot. Reminds me of Blizzard for some reason. Don't get to hear much of the battle music, but it seems more percussive heavy. Maybe that's for dungeon battles?

Bird flying game. Sounds fun! And celtic-y.

Mini-boss battle. Orchestrated.

Ghirahim's theme

Ghirahim battle. This one sounds very Wakai to me. Percussion kicks in once Ghirahim takes out his sword.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Aug 30, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:46 PM

Sounds great so far! Thanks for the... link.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:52 AM

Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:57 AM

ahh, knew the music would be good :J wonder if the accordion usage is a "feature" of the soundtrack... will be interesting to find out. also, grunts rather than voice acting <3

that last track is very wakai indeed. he loves his suspensions/quartal harmony.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:44 AM

Some audio tidbits from Game Informer magazine.

On Zelda's Lullaby reversed in the main theme:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonuma
"Sound director Hajime Wakai actually created that. He did it secretly and didn't let me know. It wasn't just a matter of them being silly or playing around but really looking at what they can do with the music that would draw on the rich musical history of the series but still offer something new.

The main theme is called 'The Goddess' Song.' There is an intentional connection between the Goddess and Zelda, so we wanted those two songs to relate to one another."
- other musical cues in the game that long-time fans will appreciate
- includes a surprising use of the overworld theme from the original Legend of Zelda
- original composition by Koji Kondo
- this is the song you hear before starting the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakai
"Mr. Kondo did something interesting with the arrangement. He requested that when we record it with the orchestra, there must be a bugle that sounds as if it's coming from off in the distance. When you hear that sound in the prologue, what sounds almost like a military bugle, it adds this great feeling to it."
- Mogma are accompanied by upbeat, jazzy music that features snapping fingers
- Guardians of the Silent Realm are accompanied by industrial music akin to something in Silent Hill
- this new approach to music comes as Aonuma's goal to 'break down some of the typical patterns you see in Zelda games'
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
"Sound director Hajime Wakai actually created that. He did it secretly and didn't let me know. It wasn't just a matter of them being silly or playing around but really looking at what they can do with the music that would draw on the rich musical history of the series but still offer something new.

The main theme is called 'The Goddess' Song.' There is an intentional connection between the Goddess and Zelda, so we wanted those two songs to relate to one another."
Brilliant. Wakai is a true Hero of Time.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:45 PM

Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:51 PM

There's 5 composers according to the latest Iwata Asks. Kondo only composed the opening theme. Groose's theme sounds so much like the Pirates theme from WW, so maybe Nagata is involved? I think I hear elements of Minegishi in Faron Woods. So Wakai, Kondo, Yokota, Minegishi & Nagata is my guess. Credits will probably leak within the next few days anyways.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Kondo only composed the opening theme
lollercoasters. why u do this kondosan?

i think you are right about those composers. the first three are known already and the last two are pretty safe bets.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:29 AM

Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:57 AM

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interv...ward-sword/4/0

Masato Mizuta is the sound guy he interviewed.

The note about Kondo comes from http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1212231p1.html

Last edited by strugglepoo; Nov 12, 2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:45 AM

I like the others, but I'm still hoping for a 90%+ Wakai score.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:24 AM

Nope, looks like it's two of the new(er) guys:

Music:
Hajime Wakai
Shiho Fujii (Wii Fit, Animal Crossing: City Folk, New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Mahito Yokota
Takeshi Hama (Super Mario 3D Land)
Koji Kondo
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:43 AM

Blimey--I had Minegishi pegged as a dead-cert. And I'd vaguely suspected that maybe Tominaga would've filtered into Skyward Sword after Spirit Tracks...but those credits are extraordinary. More of this sort of variety with Zelda, please, Nintendo! (I'd like to see another Zelda with Totaka on it sometime, for example.)

I'll fess up: I was evilly hoping that Minegishi and Ohta wouldn't appear here. I'm not going to hype myself up over the matter, admittedly, as I am regrettably predisposed to looking at Fujii through a pretty negative lens--those games listed above haven't gone down too well with me--but I do hope he/she brings something new and interesting to the table. Hama I don't know from adam, so I just hope he's eager to give his own swing on things, rather than be content to attempt to emulate the styles of his superiors. It'd be nice to have a Zelda that felt unique by virtue of sounding different, from a compositional perspective as well as in terms of instrumentation.

Wakai's still up there as the first credit...but I do wonder how much of the game he actually composed. I have my own conspiracy theory that Kazumi Totaka didn't compose much in the way of anything for Link's Awakening despite being the first credit, so I do wonder what the deal might be in this case. (If only we were getting an official soundtrack so we could find out...!)

Last edited by Uppa; Nov 14, 2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Sprucing up spelling, syntax and surnames.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppa View Post
I'll fess up: I was evilly hoping that Minegishi and Ohta wouldn't appear here.
Same here. It does feel a bit weird not seeing Minegishi's name, but it's a welcome change. Although, I do adore Spirit Tracks soundtrack. It was a big step up from TP & PH. The town themes are especially super catchy.

Quote:
Wakai's still up there as the first credit...but I do wonder how much of the game he actually composed.
I haven't heard much outside of the demo so far; waiting to play the game to experience the soundtrack. He should be participating in the next Iwata asks.

Edit: it's up http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interv...ward-sword/5/4

Not much revealed besides Tokyo Software Development Department coming in towards the end to help with the cinematic scenes. I guess that means Yokota & Hama mostly handled the cinematic music while Wakai & Fujii handled the rest(?) Makes sense given the ordering listed. Plus, Fujii started out with Nintendo around the time music was being added 3 years ago, and Hama only started recently with OoT 3DS and SML 3DS under Yokota.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Nov 14, 2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: addendum
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:26 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
It was confirmed in the guide books that he didn't compose for Link's Awakening, but only did sound effects and sound programming. People just confuse him as composer a lot because he is listed with Minako Hamano and Kozue Ishikawa under "sound composer" in the staff credits (although "sound" is a bit more of a general term than "music").
As it turns out--though I'd forgotten--I actually posted the scan to that guide with the information concerning Link's Awakening's composers on the Kozue Ishikawa discussion page back in March! I'd completely forgotten I'd posited that theory here...though a lot of you probably saw the scans elsewhere beforehand. I felt pretty assured at the time that he was chiefly involved in SFX after observing that Hamano and Ishikawa both received credit for composition, rather than simply sound programming--though now I feel a bit nervous about saying that outright. As you very rightly point out, sound is very general in this case. Few soundtrack credits out there that I'd like more than Link's Awakening's, that's for certain.

On the topic of Skyward Sword, I am very interested indeed to find out if we are going to be treated to a soundtrack born chiefly of the efforts of Wakai and Fujii. I have probably voiced similar sentiments before, but I do hope we get something kind of atypical here, as far as composition is concerned--and I really feel curious to see what sort of influences Wakai introduces.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
It was confirmed in the guide books that he didn't compose for Link's Awakening, but only did sound effects and sound programming.
He definitely composed as well, the opening area track is nearly a verbatim copy of the overworld track for Kaeru no Tame which had only Totaka as sound staff. So again "sound programming" doesn't exclude composing/arranging.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:57 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:04 AM

they should have daisuke shiiba compose for all their games. /broken record

Tags
hajime wankai