VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 12, 2018, 03:29 PM

Anyone willing to part with their copy?

There's relatively little information about this game--no gamefaqs entry, no wikipedia, etc. which makes trying to find music almost impossible. There's not even a .psf set.

I'm dying to hear it! Yamane's arrangement style here has a special richness to it, much like he later Suikoden work. And I find the ps1's instruments can be very charming when done right--Konami tended to do pretty well in this department.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 04:08 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
no gamefaqs entry
Just as a note, it is on GameFAQs, but as one word https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/913687-eldergate
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:16 PM

Thanks! At least its existence is acknowledged somewhere.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:28 AM

Ah man, I've been meaning to write something about this game. I finished it last year when I was recovering from surgery. The artwork makes the game seem more interesting than it really is, honestly. It's not a terrible game, mind you -- average if anything.

A note about the music: those two Sota Fujimori tracks "End Of The World (ダンジョン塔)" and "The Last Enemy (戦闘・最終ボス)" sound slightly different on the OST than they do in-game. In-game they sound, I don't know... downgraded (for lack of a better word). Something is off about them. Or maybe that's how they're supposed to sound. Another thing: in-game, The Last Enemy is a little over two minutes long before it loops but on the OST, it's 4 minutes long (no looping).

Though not outstanding, the music isn't as bad as that RPGFan reviewer makes it out to be. Some of the tracks have a light Suiko-sound to them, which I love!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:05 AM

http://www.vgmonline.net/eldergate-2/

I reviewed the soundtrack some years ago, and it was a mixed bag for me. Not bad, but not outstanding either, like the game itself.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I listened to the soundtrack years ago and thought the music was wholly unremarkable.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 03:07 PM

Well, since reception to the OST seems generally lukewarm, perhaps that would make it easier for someone to part with their copy...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:50 PM

Can't help with the OST but I've uploaded footage of the final scenario if you're interested in hearing the final battle theme and end credits (quality isn't super great, sorry). Like I said above, the final battle theme sounds slightly different on the OST than in-game. In-game it sounds pretty bland (so does "End Of The World" but I didn't mind that as much!). It's a four minute long song on the OST and it's just great.

Spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffw03yPSNr4 Didn't use any buffs because Lv.99. Spent 90 hours on it. And no, I don't know why!

I quite like the ending theme. Much more listenable than SotN's atrocious "I AM THE WIND". It isn't as lazy as some ending themes out there either (Azure Dreams, Brave Fencer Musashi, etc.)
Old May 1, 2018, 04:07 PM

This is great, thank you. Will be listening presently.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 02:54 PM

Well, I've tried everything to acquire this or even get more info on it. Including some shadier methods (would you believe I couldn't even find an .iso?) It's as if the game doesn't exist. It's in the top tier of obscure games for sure.

So I just went ahead and got a used PS1 game off eBay. I'll play the game and rip the music myself. Case closed!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 03:46 PM

it's sure that 300+ usd is expensive, if someone sells their copy they could sell it for 250 usd at least ;p

it's more affordable than a certain panzer dragoon album ;p
Old Dec 3, 2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Well, I've tried everything to acquire this or even get more info on it. Including some shadier methods (would you believe I couldn't even find an .iso?) It's as if the game doesn't exist. It's in the top tier of obscure games for sure.

So I just went ahead and got a used PS1 game off eBay. I'll play the game and rip the music myself. Case closed!
Did you manage to rip the in-game music? Could you share it somewhere? To this day there's no gamerip available online.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertDankMemeHere View Post
Did you manage to rip the in-game music? Could you share it somewhere? To this day there's no gamerip available online.
I'm afraid I haven't gotten to it yet.
Pandemic has pushed back most of my projects.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 03:02 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
it's sure that 300+ usd is expensive, if someone sells their copy they could sell it for 250 usd at least ;p

it's more affordable than a certain panzer dragoon album ;p
What the heck, I didn't know this one was that rare, I don't remember paying much for my copy back in the day. Considering SOTN was released only a few years prior you'd think this would have commanded quite a bit of interest at the time, resulting in more copies being in circulation. Perhaps the game wasn't very good/popular.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 01:57 PM

From what I was reading on Amazon.jp or other sites, the reviews of the game weren't really good. It received a lot of mixed to negative reviews, where players criticized the gameplay and story as "boring" and "underdeveloped" or battles would take too long without any real variety in terms of fun.

The music on the other side received positive approval. But for my personal opinion, "Holy Tactics" is one of the most bland and repetitive battle themes heard from that era and from Yamane as well. Even some of Capcom's Breath of Fire battle themes are better than this! There are a few nice tracks, mostly the calmer ones, but all in all, this soundtrack leaves a lot to be desired.

I think it was Konami's first try to create a real 3D RPG (Suikoden 3 would follow only 2 years later with a lot more success and critical acclaim) and Michiru Yamane's first RPG scoring (which also would lead to contributions to Suikoden 3, 4 and The Sword of Etheria among others).

But apparently, this game was directed by Koji "IGA" Igarashi, so it can't be that bad...

Quote:
"After the release of Symphony of the Night, Igarashi was director for the 2000 PlayStation role-playing game Elder Gate. Igarashi says that he was motivated to create the game because he had played other heavy story driven games and after a long break had lost motivation to continue. He says he wanted to make a game that could be played at any time, and could feel fresh every time you played it. He wanted each player to have their own unique experience when playing the game. The game received a 22 out of 40 score from the magazine Famitsu." Wikipedia
Well, 22 out of 40 isn't that great but hey - everyone starts small

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Jan 29, 2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 04:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

I also wasn't the biggest fan of the music, though I haven't listened to it very much. And I didn't know the game was directed by IGA haha. Judging by youtube clips it doesn't look bad, I'll like to try it if there's a fan translation one day.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 05:24 AM

When the soundtrack came out, I remember people being a little disappointed. The consensus seemed to be that it was underwhelming compared to SotN. It was much harder to find samples then, and I never ended up checking it out.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Even some of Capcom's Breath of Fire battle themes are better than this!
But Breath of Fire battle themes are excellent.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
But Breath of Fire battle themes are excellent.
The first one's are ok, but I was referring to II's, which I find a little repetitive - but it's just my personal opinion

Btw the soundtrack of Elder Gate seems to be on Youtube since a few days, for the ones who want to take a listen...

Elder Gate - Holy Tactics

Suikoden 3 - The Glittering Edge

In between these two are merely 2 years, but you can hear the difference. Both are by Yamane, and it's clear that Suikoden 3 is far more advanced, also in terms of music. Yeah, I know it's a boss theme, but still ...

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Jan 30, 2021 at 02:14 PM.