VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 9, 2010, 09:29 AM

Regarding to the artists involved in this album, the only source (in the entire internet) I've found that gives this kind of information is this one:

http://bsm11084.hp.infoseek.co.jp/99a.html (see around the middle of it)

And this is the relevant information which I am talking about:

Strings:加藤Joe Strings  
Guitar:千代正之   
Chorus:河合夕子  
オカリナ:旭孝

The strings performance is credited to the nth alias of this unit (http://vgmdb.net/artist/437). Kuwafuji Joe Strings must be a mistranslation then.

Guitar's performance is credited to Masayuki Chiyo, but under a kanji variation of his name.

The other artits credits coincide with the actual ones.

So, I'd like that someone that owns this album verifies the accuracy of these credits.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 05:07 PM

I don't know if it will help, but I added scans of this album.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 05:30 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:15 AM

Thanks, Crash.

Information verified and changes in the artists field made.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:41 AM

Btw, I've corrected the two last track titles.

オカリナ組曲 = Ocarina Suite
ゼルダの伝説組曲 = The Legend of Zelda Suite

Before, for some inexplicable reason, "組曲" was being translated as "Medley" but that term is only written in japanese as "メドレー". Furthermore, Suite is a more appropiate term for this album (classical influenced).
Old May 9, 2013, 06:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I just noticed now that this album does specifically credit both Kozue Ishikawa and Minako Hamano among the composers for the last track megamedley. Since the only piece from Link's Awakening that's represented is "Ballad of the Wind Fish," I wonder if that definitely means they co-composed it? I suppose it's possible that they were both just included as a lump credit for the whole game.

EDIT: Actually, the medley titles given in the notes are made up, and the booklet doesn't say the arranged tune is "Ballad," which we usually use to refer to the solo melody version. The title given in the booklet is "かぜのさかな~しまが消える" ("Wind Fish ~ The Island Disappears"), which sounds like it might be one of the songs during the ending sequence that reprise the melody. The arrangement on this album just uses the melody, but if both are being credited because they collaborated on one of the ending themes, that doesn't necessarily mean they both collaborated on the original melody too.

Last edited by CHz; May 9, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 08:37 PM

Does anyone know for sure whether or not this album included a registration card? There isn't one pictured on this site, but I seem to recall an auction which had one.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 04:53 PM

Yes, it does have a registration card. I didn't scan it originally, though, and I have no idea where my scanner is now.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 05:11 PM

Thanks Crash; very helpful to know.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I just noticed now that this album does specifically credit both Kozue Ishikawa and Minako Hamano among the composers for the last track megamedley. Since the only piece from Link's Awakening that's represented is "Ballad of the Wind Fish," I wonder if that definitely means they co-composed it? I suppose it's possible that they were both just included as a lump credit for the whole game.

EDIT: Actually, the medley titles given in the notes are made up, and the booklet doesn't say the arranged tune is "Ballad," which we usually use to refer to the solo melody version. The title given in the booklet is "かぜのさかな~しまが消える" ("Wind Fish ~ The Island Disappears"), which sounds like it might be one of the songs during the ending sequence that reprise the melody. The arrangement on this album just uses the melody, but if both are being credited because they collaborated on one of the ending themes, that doesn't necessarily mean they both collaborated on the original melody too.
Now that we have Nippon Columbia's OST, we know that only Minako Hamano wrote the melody of Ballad of the Wind Fish / Island Disappears. So does that mean Kozue Ishikawa should be removed from this entry?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 05:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, I guess it was just a lump credit after all.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 07:56 PM

It's still a bit odd that they credited this to Minako Hamano and Kozue Ishikawa. The corresponding track on the Nippon Columbia album (disc 4 track 20) is credited to Kazumi Totaka and Hamano there. And they couldn't have surmised it from the Game Boy credits alone as all three of them are listed as "sound composers".

The only way they could've gotten Hamano and Ishikawa here would be going by the Japanese Game Boy version guide book where the two explicitly mentioned they were in charge of the BGM while Totaka said he did the SFX. If that's where the booklet editors got the credits from, then they really did their homework with the sources available to them at the time.

The thing is, this is the first album to reveal Akito Nakatsuka as composer of Zelda 2. The game only credited him under the pseudonym "Tsukasan" and his name didn't appear on any album before. So the booklet editors must've had an in with Nintendo's sound team. Or they really, really did their homework. Though unlikely, we can't rule out the possibility that Nakatsuka's name was mentioned and connected to Zelda 2 in a Japanese magazine sometime before.

It's easy to forget how little we knew about game music albums and composers before sites like Chudah's Corner popped up.