VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:47 PM

Added based on this: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s.../piano/portal/
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:02 PM

you coulda add ffiv-vi and s-e as publisher
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:42 AM

So possibility of VII/ VIII/ IX, then less likely a X/XI/XII? (XII still should have a full piano collections, it is long overdue)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:05 PM

I don't think there will be anymore after this. The other ones were non-existent or out of print, so I think they just wanted to revamp them (just a thought, at least). But yes, on that page, missing a XII Piano collections sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
Trusted Editor

I much prefer these multi layered multi piano "operas" compared to the originals. I doubt they'll print additional but it would be cool
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:29 AM

While I think the piano opera idea is a good one, I'm still annoyed by the lack of regard for convention. Would have liked a traditional Piano Collections Final Fantasy I/II/III instead of this new thing. Feels like I'm not really getting what I wanted all these years.

Regarding FFXII, it seems that Square Enix has no interesting in pursuing it as the soundtrack didn't perform as well as they would have liked. I think Casey Ormond is a perfect fit, and Basiscape could produce and release it themselves, but Square Enix seems unwilling.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:29 AM

It's still a piano collections. Just because they decided to use the plural of "opus" instead doesn't change the fact that it is still a collection of piano pieces. At least, that's how I feel about the whole situation.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I don't think there will be anymore after this. The other ones were non-existent or out of print, so I think they just wanted to revamp them (just a thought, at least). But yes, on that page, missing a XII Piano collections sticks out like a sore thumb.
I agree, but I don't think is because of "out of print". If we compare the first three piano collections (IV-V-VI) with more recent ones, we can notice that those arrangements are much more weak, simplistic and repetitive than the new ones. It's like they just intended to give us piano lessons. IMO, they do not give justice to the original composition.

Piano Collections (PC) VIII-IX-X were better, but the powerful ones came with the latest PC FFVII-KH-KHII. In short, PC are getting better and better with time.

One thing I would like them to make is a new Gilgamesh arrangement.
The original 'Gilgamesh battle theme' sound version is more powerful than the original FFVII battle theme (IMO). But, the PC ver. of FFVII battle was so much better than FF5gilgamesh one, that I felt they weren't being fair if they didn't release a new Piano Collections for FFV (with at least the same arrangement quality of PC FFVII). Now it's the right time to make an equal or even better arrangement for that music and albums.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:07 AM

X was the best in my opinion. Hamauzu should just do everyone's piano arrangement. That would make everything better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsblade View Post
I agree, but I don't think is because of "out of print". If we compare the first three piano collections (IV-V-VI) with more recent ones, we can notice that those arrangements are much more weak, simplistic and repetitive than the new ones. It's like they just intended to give us piano lessons. IMO, they do not give justice to the original composition.
Well, you have to remember that originally they were sold with sheet music books. They were intentionally made simple so the (then) younger audiences would be able to play the arrangements themselves.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:12 AM

You can find more information about the album here
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201202/17009517.html

The album is arranged and performed by Hiroyuki Nakayama.

Some of the arranged tracks are:-
"Theme of Love" - Final Fantasy IV
"Dear Friends" - Final Fantasy V
"Searching for Friends" - Final Fantasy VI
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:32 PM

They just held a live preview event that I found out about today. I prepared a summary of some of the details discussed, and more track titles were announced:

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...rview-wrap-up/
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

More complete tracklist from Famitsu.com

FFIV
Theme of Love
Main Theme
Red Wings ~ Kingdom Baron
Troian Beauty

FFV
My Home, Sweet Home
Main Theme
Clash on the Big Bridge
Nostalgia (The Sorrow of Parting)

FFVI
Searching for Friends
Kefka
Save Them
Dancing Mad
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:39 AM

Looks like only two 'new' pieces are getting arrangements, both from FFVI?

Obviously I'm sure the others will get new arrangements, but still it'd be nice to have others.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 02:34 PM

That may very well be it. There are supposed to be 12 tracks. Unless there's some super medley or something. Most of those tracks were already arranged.
Old May 9, 2012, 05:38 AM

Now that we can listen all samples I can tell this "Gilgamesh" will be better than the original PC version.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:14 PM

I was surprised they didn't put an ending theme on the first album, and now none on this? What? Why? I thought closing with a final battle theme seemed a rather abrupt end, without dramatic resolution. I expected a medley of ending themes, if not on the first album, on the second. Seems like quite a missed opportunity, or I should say two missed opportunities.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:39 PM

I added a link to the Play-Asia, but it was the same two links, how to remove a link?
Old May 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

That can only be done by staff. I've removed the link.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
That can only be done by staff. I've removed the link.
thank you very much
Old May 18, 2012, 05:49 PM

Listening to this, I still can't figure out why it was made. At least, why they chose half of the songs that were already arranged on previous Piano Collections CDs.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Listening to this, I still can't figure out why it was made. At least, why they chose half of the songs that were already arranged on previous Piano Collections CDs.
Pretty much agreed. When I heard "opera" when they were first announced I thought it would have some vocals or voices in along with the songs... But no it's all piano and some of these have already been on the piano collection.

I like the Troia arrangement, but I'm sure I could probably just find one on YouTube.

oh well.

2.5 or 3/5 from me at best.
Old May 19, 2012, 06:42 PM

Well, more than that, I wanted some medleys or something. Like what they did with the town themes for the first CD. What a waste.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Evenstar View Post
=When I heard "opera" when they were first announced I thought it would have some vocals or voices in along with the songs... But no it's all piano and some of these have already been on the piano collection.
Opera is the plural of Opus, FWIW.

I agree that the redundancy is silly. There's plenty of other tracks that'd make nice piano versions....how about Cry in Sorrow from FFIV or Phantom Forest from FFVI?
Old May 19, 2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Phantom Forest from FFVI?
Actually, that would be redundant too.

I agree the redundancy probably isn't what most fans (at least hardcores) wanted. I don't mind too much, though, as I found the earlier Piano Collections too simplistic for stand-alone listening. I would have been happy to hear (and possibly play) more ambitious arrangements of the featured material, whether previously arranged or not.

But unfortunately, I was left disappointed regardless. Nakayama wasn't as ambitious as he was on the fantastic FFI-III album. Dancing Mad leaps to mind, but plenty of other arrangements don't fulfil their full potential either. I also preferred the segmented structure of the earlier release, given it captured the individuality of the games and growth of the series more. The absence of the medleys (the weakest arrangements on FFI-III IMO) is no biggie for me though.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:24 PM

I just picked this up today... It came with an announcement of a Final Fantasy Piano Opera concert, to be held on August 3 in Osaka and August 11 in Tokyo-- http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s...e/ff4-6/piano/ . Link includes a video of more info. Apparently, it seems like the concert is only for ff IV/V/VI piano opera, and not also the FF I/II/II piano opera album.

Personally, If I was in Japan I'd immediately buy a ticket. However, I don't see something like this-- where lots of people physically show up to a concert venue just to hear piano video game music-- spreading outside of Japan.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:13 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Received in the mail today! YEA!

Scans incoming, ETA 5 hours.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor

aaand, done.

Sorry some of them are smudgy-dirty. I need to get a new scanner. Really frustrating.

Check out the photos in the booklet though. Uematsu and Nakayama hangin' with kids at an elementary school. You can make of it what you will, but personally I love it.

Same goes for the album. I wasn't sure I'd like this, esp considering all the overlapping content. But in my opinion, each of the tracks that Nakayama did are so thoroughly improved compared to the old albums (which, let's face it, IV and V are very simple/vanilla albums), it's crazy.

More detailed review will go up on RPGFan. But in the meantime, let's just say I wasn't disappointed much at all. Yeah, sure, there are more songs I'd like to see on this disc. It's insane that they tried to do this and it wasn't nearly as "needed" as I/II/III. But I like what I have in my hands.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Sorry some of them are smudgy-dirty. I need to get a new scanner. Really frustrating.
They're fine, you can see all the info you need and if someone complains about the smudgy'dirtyness (which I didn't even notice) they better buy the album himself/herself and enjoy the booklet live. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Check out the photos in the booklet though. Uematsu and Nakayama hangin' with kids at an elementary school. You can make of it what you will, but personally I love it.
Yeah good pictures. Really liking the one where Nakayama is playing the piano and Uematsu and kids are around it.
Old May 25, 2012, 02:49 AM

"obi reverse" is absent
Old May 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
"obi reverse" is absent
weird, it appears for me. I've often had uploading errors when I upload batch, and I did have to re-up obi front. Lemme re-upload reverse now, let me know if it appears for you.