VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:30 AM
VGMdb Staff

I think it's too soon to be expanding Sawano's discography to cover his movie/drama works. He isn't prolific enough as an anime/vgm composer right now.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:40 AM
Trusted Editor

I would say he is already, done music to at least 8 different anime series, and now composing for the upcoming Monolith Soft's X. But then, what is profilic enough?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

My thinking is that 8 or 9 (10 in a couple days) isn't a whole lot. I also take into consideration the fact that he is more of a composer for dramas and movies than for anime and vgm (about a 2:1 ratio).
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:13 PM
Trusted Editor

What's the tenth? And for me, doing that amount in 6/7 years is ok. But there probably should be a proper discussion about what's the (soft/hard) limit of being profilic enough.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
My thinking is that 8 or 9 (10 in a couple days) isn't a whole lot. I also take into consideration the fact that he is more of a composer for dramas and movies than for anime and vgm (about a 2:1 ratio).
Wouldn't that be all the more reason to include more? Sawano is getting more work all the time. Makes sense to allow fans who discovered him through anime- and X, shortly- means to at least be aware of his other work.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 01:29 PM

so, now live action movie soundtracks having nothing to do with anime or games can have it's entry here. Guess we should change VGMDB to something else, as it seems not fitting the purpose anymore.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 01:46 PM

the problem with changing the name of the site would be which name?
even if I'm pretty sure blah won't change it, how to have a name reflecting the actual contents of the db?
you must count all occurences present in the db, maybe not a complete listing but whatever:
animes, games, dramas, movies, jpop --let's not count bootlegs
doujin, western, eastern (even if it's mainly japanese)

and honestly, I don't think I'm wrong when I say it but vmgdb.net is sorta widely known on the net under that name
so it should be ok as it is
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticScent View Post
so, now live action movie soundtracks having nothing to do with anime or games can have it's entry here. Guess we should change VGMDB to something else, as it seems not fitting the purpose anymore.
Well, live-action it's not, but I literally just saw A Dog's Life 2 posted, so...

From an outsider perspective- which is to say, as a lurker and frequent visitor with no real place to make any calls on protocol- it seems like slackening some of the ideas of what gets posted and what doesn't could prove useful. If the musician in question works primarily in games or anime, why not include their other works for the benefit of browsers?

Nailing what the exact number of scores a composer should produce in either very specific medium is a tough call and the idea of putting a value on "prolificness" seems honestly kind of...arbitrary? A cap is of course necessary to keep things from just turning into allmusic, but consider that the vast majority of people who know of Sawano at all will have learned of him through anime. Just using him as an example, I think it'd be fair to allow some wiggle room.

If it's an issue of workload, I could post Sawano's drama/film scores in my spare time, so long as you don't mind not having scans or exacting performer detail down to the last man right off. Plus, what with his peculiar naming habits, translations will largely be a non-issue.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:07 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
What's the tenth? And for me, doing that amount in 6/7 years is ok. But there probably should be a proper discussion about what's the (soft/hard) limit of being profilic enough.
The tenth is Kill la Kill and it will be announced on Sep 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaotaM View Post
Wouldn't that be all the more reason to include more? Sawano is getting more work all the time. Makes sense to allow fans who discovered him through anime- and X, shortly- means to at least be aware of his other work.
I believe a rule that we follow for adding discographies is that the number of unrelated works should not outnumber db-related works. So, in Sawano's case, if you were to add all his drama/movie works then it would outnumber his anime/vgm works by a fair amount.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The tenth is Kill la Kill and it will be announced on Sep 10.

I believe a rule that we follow for adding discographies is that the number of unrelated works should not outnumber db-related works. So, in Sawano's case, if you were to add all his drama/movie works then it would outnumber his anime/vgm works by a fair amount.
True, true. If there's any accounting for his reputation in the East, I'd love to know, but it just seems like common sense that, amongst non-Japanese members of this site's specific audience, ie. fans of videogames, anime and their music, anybody as of this writing using the site to search for Sawano is thinking of him primarily from anime. From Gundam. From Blue Exorcist.

The exact amount of his live-action scores would ultimately be more than the anime stuff, yes, but these things don't exist in a cultural vacuum. Anime fans think of him as an anime guy. They don't really have any other way to think of him- Indeed, many of the artists included here- without any knowledge of what else they may have worked in. That's the whole problem with none of this information being easily available.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:59 PM

I guess everyone has their opinion about whether this album should be added or not, and mine is - it shouldn't.
I'm a fan of Sawano, and Platina Data is a badass soundtrack, but if adding one then why not the others?... Though this pretty much explains how to go about it:
Quote:
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:41 PM
VGMdb Staff

Also, this is just my opinion, but I don't have a problem with allowing compilation/best albums since they aren't tied to one specific work and aren't common. So albums like Hiroyuki Sawano NHK Works are still fine by me.