VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:49 AM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300

Give me a few minutes and I'll have composition credits (from the digital booklet).

By the way, there are two booklets within the package: one in japanese, the other one in english.

Do you want me to upload them both?

EDIT:
Done.

Last edited by ilef; Mar 23, 2013 at 02:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:52 PM
darkthunder84 darkthunder84 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Default

How do I get this soundtrack? There was no mention of it when I tried to buy the game on Steam. Is this Japan digital exclusive?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 5, 2013, 03:01 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthunder84 View Post
How do I get this soundtrack? There was no mention of it when I tried to buy the game on Steam. Is this Japan digital exclusive?
You can't get this, anymore. It was a bonus for those who pre-ordered the game on Steam, along with a digital artbook and a free PC copy of Resident Evil 5. Such extras are no longer mentioned on the the Steam page for the product. It seems they're now selling only the game and DLCs.

Untagged MP3 files@256kbps bitrate... And, actually, the exclusive tracks are only 13: the first track is also on the 4 CD album... and Silent Party is merely looped.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Apr 5, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 6, 2013, 09:00 AM
Foxhack's Avatar
Foxhack Foxhack is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mexico
Posts: 515
Default

WOW that's incredibly stupid.

Then again, this is Capcom. Hopefully they'll stop being dumb and add this stuff as buyable digital bonuses later on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:01 AM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhack View Post
WOW that's incredibly stupid.

Then again, this is Capcom. Hopefully they'll stop being dumb and add this stuff as buyable digital bonuses later on.
As far as I know the Digital Soundtrack, the Artbook and Resident Evil 5 were bonuses unlocked through tiers/enough pre-orders... and only awarded to those who pre-ordered the Steam release. They were listed on the page, for a certain amount of time.

I'm one of those user who pre-ordered, should have specified that I'm not sure such bonuses aren't there, anymore. Looking at the product's page on Steam, I'd assume they are no longer offered. Do you really find those disappearing bonuses stupid? Something similar happens with physical releases which have a limited set of prints... and are only given to those who pre-order certain products. It wouldn't be nothing new.

As a buyer who has pre-ordered the game on Steam, I would find pretty sad the fact that such bonuses are simply given to everyone... now that "we" have unlocked them.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Apr 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:11 PM
Foxhack's Avatar
Foxhack Foxhack is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mexico
Posts: 515
Default

Yes, I find disappearing bonuses stupid because most of the time these things are -never offered again- in any way, when there's no reason not to offer them again. When it comes to a physical release, then limited quantities are understandable. But with digital releases, there's no costs involved. Maybe licensing, but, it's still cheaper than printing a CD and booklet and stuff.

Let people buy Resident Evil 6, then let them get the bonus content you got for free, for an additional fee, either as a separate purchase (the best option, in my opinion) or bundled with the game for ten bucks or so.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:48 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

Maybe licensing turns out to be a "big" issue... I've seen through the years various digital albums disappear from the catalogue of iTunes and the likes.

So what if such things aren't offered again? I mean, while I do understand your point with them being digital... and "less" of a hassle to provide again, maybe, I don't really see the whole matter as being that different from what happens to limited physical releases: sooner or later these products are going to disappear, only to be owned by a few lucky ones which spent the extra money.
It seems to me that they're just applying the same "approach" to these digital bonuses.... Give them to those who pre-ordered, buyers which come too late are 'screwed'.

Maybe I'll come off as a bastard, but this album was an incentive to pre-order the Steam release of the game, among other stuff... Didn't know/didn't pre-order it? Tough luck, accept that you're not "granted" access to this. May you be luckier next time.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Apr 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 7, 2013, 09:39 PM
TerraEpon's Avatar
TerraEpon TerraEpon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 422
Default

The difference is, with physical 500 extra copies has production costs and storage space that may not be worth it. With digital, the cost to wait for 500 to sell is virtually nil.

And what's more, if it's not offered any where, there's absolutely 0% of anyone who didn't get it to obtain it legally. With a physical release there's always used copies.

Last edited by TerraEpon; Apr 7, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:37 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
The difference is, with physical 500 extra copies has production costs and storage space that may not be worth it. With digital, the cost to wait for 500 to sell is virtually nil.
Again, I've understood that part. Still, they're only doing what they're already doing with physical limited releases: given only to those who pre-order or pay the extra money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
With a physical release there's always used copies.
If we want to nitpick, the deal with used copies isn't completely legal, either. The manufacturer/label got the money for that copy of the album from the original buyer.... which is the one you're going to pay. Your money doesn't go where it should.


My main concern with this album is that it was a pre-order bonus, I obviously can't tell if it's still included in the Steam "package", but even if it wasn't.... hey, you were late this time, tough luck and move on. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the first time that a digital bonus/pre-order soundtrack simply disappears.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Apr 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:24 PM
MiLO's Avatar
MiLO MiLO is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 604
Default

Yeah tough luck, suck it up beecheeez, nyahahaha! - That's exactly what they were thinking at Capcom HQ while planning this release.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:34 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

Limited Editions happen and are bound to go out of stock pretty soon. Think of this release as the same old mentality applied to a 'new' format. I honestly don't get all the rage/disappointment with its likely disappearance, not only here. Did they start collecting VGM only recently? Crap like this has happened for a long time. In the past, you missed out on physical releases, now you may miss out on digital ones.

Honestly, though, those audio files were the only things that worked... The PC "port" was riddled with bugs, just recently fixed.

EDIT:
Capcom advertised this and the other bonuses included within Steam for a while, heh, blame yourself if you don't keep an eye on them.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Apr 8, 2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:43 PM
MiLO's Avatar
MiLO MiLO is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 604
Default

Oh don't take my comment as a rage of any kind, I frankly didn't care much for BIO 6 OST, this version or the CD one.
Just humoring, that is all. Sorry to hear about the crappy PC port though.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:51 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

No worries, I didn't I agree that it wouldn't be the smartest move on Capcom's part, if they really wiped this little album from the Steam purchase 'forever'... but one can't really deny there's basic logic behind such action.

Not that you're missing much, this gives a nice expansion to the 4 CD release, but that's what it is... an expansion, we're still missing a few tracks. Bring a 3rd Sound Chronicle, c'mon.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:36 PM
darkthunder84 darkthunder84 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
Didn't know/didn't pre-order it? Tough luck, accept that you're not "granted" access to this. May you be luckier next time.
How long has the information for this pre-order bonus been available? I truly doubt it was common knowledge for long enough to give anyone but the most hardcore collection fanatics a chance :P

If this is where the future of vgm is headed - limited edition hardcore fanatic digital only bonuses, not even obtainable second hand at a 1000% mark up - then we're all screwed and might as well just give up on making any attempt to legally purchase music.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 05:58 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthunder84 View Post
How long has the information for this pre-order bonus been available? I truly doubt it was common knowledge for long enough to give anyone but the most hardcore collection fanatics a chance :P
More than a month prior the game's release on Steam. Mainstream gaming-websites like IGN gave the information some exposure in mid-February, too. Regardless, there was plenty of time to secure a pre-order and grab it. It may suck, I agree, but it's no different from what happens with physical releases, there are lots of buyers who miss out on Limited Editions coming with nice DVDs/Artbooks/etc. simply because they didn't know about such releases 'on time'. Look at things from a different buyer's perspective: the person went... pre-ordered such item... and helped others unlocking bonuses like the soundtrack [I repeat: this, the Artbook and the PC copy of Resident Evil 5 got unlocked when certain amounts of pre-orders were reached]. Lots of users didn't pre-order the game, so why should they have access to the bonuses enclosed with it? For now, it makes sense that such bonuses are no longer offered, they were pre-order incentives.

At any rate, don't forget that we're talking about Capcom here, the same company which released the load of crap that is Resident Evil 4, just to grab more money... and that has you purchase separately Downloadable Content already on the Disk/Blu-ray
A re-release isn't that unlikely. In the meantime, if you can't resist the urge to own this little album... I suppose you could always snag it illegally: after all... as you've said... not much of a choice when you can't get things differently.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Apr 8, 2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:44 PM
darkthunder84 darkthunder84 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
Lots of users didn't pre-order the game, so why should they have access to the bonuses enclosed with it? For now, it makes sense that such bonuses are no longer offered, they were pre-order incentives.[/U]
Just to add an additional angle to this, I PRE-ORDERED the PS3 release, waaay back in August/September. There was no soundtrack bonus back then. Would you say to me then, that's just tough luck that I PRE-ORDERED at the wrong time? That as a supporting pre-ordering customer, I am still not deserving of having access to the soundtrack?

The whole point is that, really, WAAAAAAAY more people pre-ordered this game for the PS3 or 360 back before September last year. Would you say to all those people "hahaha thats just too bad sucks to be you" when they did the "right thing" and pre-ordered without even having a good incentive to? Why cant our loyalty be rewarded with a copy of this soundtrack now? Are we all expected to buy the game a second time, on a different platform, to truly be "deserving" of this reward?

Btw this isnt a personal attack or anything, just so you know It's not your fault we cant get this lol
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:53 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthunder84 View Post
Just to add an additional angle to this, I PRE-ORDERED the PS3 release, waaay back in August/September. There was no soundtrack bonus back then. Would you say to me then, that's just tough luck that I PRE-ORDERED at the wrong time? That as a supporting pre-ordering customer, I am still not deserving of having access to the soundtrack?

The whole point is that, really, WAAAAAAAY more people pre-ordered this game for the PS3 or 360 back before September last year. Would you say to all those people "hahaha thats just too bad sucks to be you" when they did the "right thing" and pre-ordered without even having a good incentive to? Why cant our loyalty be rewarded with a copy of this soundtrack now? Are we all expected to buy the game a second time, on a different platform, to truly be "deserving" of this reward?

Btw this isnt a personal attack or anything, just so you know It's not your fault we cant get this lol
Yes, I'm telling that, I suppose. Are you implying that just because you pre-ordered a copy, you should have free access to ALL bonus content? Regardless of the platform? I too had pre-ordered a PS3 edition of the game, the one which comes with the replica of Leon Scott Kennedy's jacket, artbook, stickers... But I also remember this: our console releases came out on October 2nd, 2012. PC users how much time had to wait, for a crappy, rushed and bugged port, might I add? While I would appreciate content like "Mercenaries: No Mercy" or the Left 4 Dead cross-overs to be available for everyone, I'm not gonna complain if I don't get them on console... I've been enjoying the game for months, already, it's fair that a group of fans gets exclusive content, too.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Apr 8, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old May 25, 2013, 02:31 PM
DanteLectro's Avatar
DanteLectro DanteLectro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 270
Default

It's the publishers' job to figure out ways to incentivize people to preorder, but I think completely locking out people of material like this is unfair and it doesn't make much sense to me. They can't run out stock the way physical bonuses do, and eventually these digital bonuses find their way to the web, for anyone to take.
I understand that early purchasers need an incentive, an advantage. They could get timed exclusivity for free (or at a lower price), and similar stuff sooner, cheaper; demos. On the Steam store you could get a copy of Lost Planet (among other things) for preordering Biohazard Revelations.

Last edited by DanteLectro; May 25, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old May 25, 2013, 03:40 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

That's the "issue", DanteLectro. For all we know, this could be a timed exclusive... Maybe they'll release it in a third Sound Chronicle Box, maybe they'll put it on sale on the likes of iTunes.

As for locking out potential buyers being unfair, it's a matter of perspective. This album (was)n't a Region-locked release, it was advertised more than a month prior the game's release on Steam. Some didn't inform themselves on time and missed out, same stuff happens with physical limited releases, too. Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
They can't run out stock the way physical bonuses do
Potentially incorrect, suffer a Hard Drive Failure/Backup corruption and even Digital files say "Bye~bye" forever. Never take stuff for granted, nothing is eternal.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; May 25, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old May 25, 2013, 04:12 PM
DanteLectro's Avatar
DanteLectro DanteLectro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 270
Default

Can i buy this now? No, solely because they won't let me, so i'm locked out. And let's not go extreme like "if the house burns down". Let's not go into preservation techniques either like film stock and vinyl and whatnot. You knew exactly what i meant.

Isn't it great that with digital stuff you never have to go out of print? Why should you?

Isn't the primary point in preordering that you make sure you can really get the thing, and get it ASAP? And does that really hurt you if others who didn't preorder get this later for 10 bucks? So what, good for them. Don't be grabby, this isn't a zero-sum game, there's no scarcity here.

Last edited by DanteLectro; May 25, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old May 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

As I've implied in one of my previous posts, my biggest issue with this album was the "disappointment" from a few users at its disappearance, because it really is the same "logic" applied to some physical releases:

- Those who preorder might get access to a bonus CD/DVD, in addition to the game.
- Those who do not lose - maybe temporarily, but mostly forever - the chance to experience such content.

You see this happen a lot, why shouldn't it affect Digital stuff, too? Because of its "nature"? Weak defense, if you ask me, such releases are eligible for crappy treatment, too. All I wanted to reiterate is that there's a logic behind such move, a logic we've seen applied many times. This was an unlockable bonus item, along with the Artbook and Resident Evil 5. Once the product had reached a certain quota of pre-orders, you'd get access to some of that stuff... Luckily, we've managed to unlock everything.

And to add, once more, a bit of information: Digital Albums get pulled from the iTunes store, whether from an expire of license, or other issues which I frankly don't know about... So, yeah, even Digital format is subject to go "out of print", in some way or form.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; May 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old May 26, 2013, 06:06 AM
DanteLectro's Avatar
DanteLectro DanteLectro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 270
Default

Physical things are exactly a bad analogy here because unlike digital things, they're not infinitely multipliable and therefore belong in a different category of economics and psychology, and thus they're not comparable (scarcity vs lack thereof, and zero-sum game vs non-zero sum). Digital things, if multiplied, preserved, backed up, and treated properly, won't run out, and you know that very well.

These bonuses and licenses are exclusive and limited mostly (if not only) because of a business decision driven by business interests: they want more money and sooner. Among other things, they instill a fear in you that says "buy it, and hurry, or you'll be at a loss!". You'll want it more, even when you might not even really need it. Of course, you preorder mostly because you really want that stuff anyway, but that fear also contributes, even if you don't like to acknowledge it.

You're basically saying that the limited nature of such content and your exclusive access to it is fair and right because you worked hard for a natural privilege and you don't want just anyone to have that same privilege because it would defeat your privilege that you're so deserving of and it would be unfair to you and make you feel bad. Or is it really? Ask yourself: Did it really have to be unlocked, was it the only possible way, or some executives just arbitrarily decided so to further their agenda? And consequently: Is this thing really special or was i led to believe it is? And most importantly: is it necessary to lock others out? If others gain access to it, do i lose mine, do i even lose anything? What was it that you really "worked", did you pay more? You paid a little sooner. In the case of Biohazard Revelations for PC the preorder price and the release price are the same, so preorderers didn't even give more money, they gave it sooner (i suppose it's the same case here).
The limited status doesn't arise naturally; it's fabricated, artificial. And just because something is the status quo and pervasive it won't automatically become right or fair or normal or natural or acceptable.
You ask why shouldn't digital stuff be limited or go out of print. I ask why should it, it doesn't have to.
(When a license expires and iTunes or Netflix doesn't renew it, it's because the subject is not popular enough or someone else offered more money, or they lost interest because it's too complicated or too expensive to license. The subject won't just run out and disappear, it becomes unavailable because of an external factor, and that's not inherently permanent, the owner can relax the conditions or make it available on its own any time they want.)

As an example for something that's actually limited and exclusive, here's this: being Scarlett Johansson's boyfriend. There's only one of her, her time is limited, and only one guy can be that guy and he has to earn it. That is natural.

I have nothing against incentivizing and compensating preorders, perks are good! I just don't like this hardcore lockout approach, it feels wrong morally; and others are understandably displeased too. There are plenty of other ways: timed exclusives (e.g. Call Of Duty DLCs on Xbox), discounts, early access to demos for games that will be fully released later, copies of games that are otherwise sold separately, and more creative ways. I'm assuming you've heard of the Playstation Plus bonuses, they're good deals without locking other people out.

(BTW, i got this album weeks ago without preordering.)

Last edited by DanteLectro; May 26, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old May 26, 2013, 08:44 AM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

I don't really lose anything, if others have once more the chance to grab it, legitimately, but again... To me it's a matter of principle: I've tried to explain why others being locked-out from this release isn't "wrong", but enough of me, let's look at the others:

Those who want it... Why should they have it? Simply because it was a Digital release, with the potential to be available for extremely longer periods of time? Well, here's the thing: it is indeed a potential, there's no rule stating they must be available merely because they're digital files.
We are on different "Yin" sides of the issue.

(Grabbed this through the Shrine? If so, guess who sent it to you)
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Aug 27, 2013, 05:44 AM
franzito's Avatar
franzito franzito is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 79
Default

Honestly, the only ones I really missed from the 1st OST are tracks 5 and 10. The rest is hit and miss; even Whopper, Rasklapanje and Bronze Archer tracks feel like fillers here.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:20 AM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 300
Default

I've been happy with this release, plus it's always nice to have tracks which weren't originally available.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:27 AM
franzito's Avatar
franzito franzito is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 79
Default

The more the merrier
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LMLP024: Resident Evil Original Soundtrack Illidan Album Discussions 2 Feb 23, 2019 10:20 PM
Resident Evil 2 (Original Soundtrack) SNKhero Album Discussions 0 Feb 21, 2019 06:05 AM
Resident Evil 7 biohazard Original Soundtrack franzito Album Discussions 5 Jan 28, 2017 11:47 AM
SE-3040-2: RESIDENT EVIL 6 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ilef Album Discussions 3 Aug 11, 2013 03:02 PM
Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D Deluxe Digital Edition Nisto Album Discussions 3 Oct 22, 2012 12:28 PM