VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 24, 2021, 02:51 PM
Trusted Editor

Gotta love how awful of a job the bootleggers did with printing those discs, they're not even fully centered or sized compared to the real ones.

Really do hope that the submitter didn't pay a lot for this third-rate bootleg album. Also, where are all the copyright etc. info on the album covers, literally no where. That should have been the one of the first alarm bells ringing when the submitter was buying this. (Either in Japan or from eBay or whatever place)
Old Jul 24, 2021, 07:13 PM

I've never managed to find the original source of this thing, but at one point, in 2008/9 there was a seller or several sellers in the US who kept selling this boxset, so it might have come from someone over there. I don't see the point of this set being on VGMdb to be frank. I have other pirate boxsets for Castlevania and other series, never thought they were worth posting.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Being in VGMdb is useful so people can search and see it's a bootleg.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 05:42 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
I've never managed to find the original source of this thing, but at one point, in 2008/9 there was a seller or several sellers in the US who kept selling this boxset, so it might have come from someone over there. I don't see the point of this set being on VGMdb to be frank. I have other pirate boxsets for Castlevania and other series, never thought they were worth posting.
Wasn't there someone doing massive Final Fantasy-boxsets too on eBay and claiming that the discs were from damaged cases etc. and otherwise legit?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razakin View Post
Wasn't there someone doing massive Final Fantasy-boxsets too on eBay and claiming that the discs were from damaged cases etc. and otherwise legit?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was Mega Man. Someone claiming to be the person selling the MM boxes did post in the thread about them at STC, but no one bought the discs "were from damaged cases" excuse that person was flinging around. Also, I believe that person included scans of receipts in his eBay listing as "proof" that they were legitimately sourced, but all that proves (at most) is you bought originals to make the fakes.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:44 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by razakin View Post
I have a faint memory of this too now that you mention it, quite a similar job to this Castlevania one if I recall correctly. Typical eBay scam.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Being in VGMdb is useful so people can search and see it's a bootleg.
cool then, i'll be adding them when i find time to scan the discs