VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
Trusted Editor

Interesting how this doesn't have a One Winged Angel arrangement apparently.. (Unless it's under track 9)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:46 AM

Maybe people got sick of One Winged Angel.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
Trusted Editor

xD about time, that's one of the most overrated songs in the VGM world. FF5, 6, 8, 9 all had better final boss themes, imo.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:24 PM

I personally think the proper term is "overused/over-arranged"..... As a theme it's pretty decent on its own right, but they used that way too much... thus making us sick of it. Seriously, what kind of arrangement style of One-Winged Angel are we missing? Perhaps the "fart" one They've done it and re-done it in all the possible ways.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Aug 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:12 AM

Yes a Farting Angel would be amazing.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:54 AM

I've actually never heard any OWA arrangement, aside of the one in FFVII Advent Children which was laughably bad. That or two on the Reunion album and Kingdom Hearts are the only arrangements I'm aware of. As the original track is one of the best final boss themes (alongside of VI, VIII, XII), I'd personally not mind listening to a chiptune arrangement if any.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

It's more "overused" than "over-arranged" actually. I believe there was no Distant Worlds concert without OWA for example. Sometimes it's even performed twice (remember VOICES).

It's the reason why the Final Fantasy suite in Symphonic Fantasies was a funny departure from this routine.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:19 AM

Project Majestic Mix: A Tribute to Nobuo Uematsu (Gold Edition) [Limited Edition]

Also, if memory serves me right, the OverClocked ReMix album "Voices of the Lifestream" had an OWA with a chiptune-style intro. Personally, I didn't mind the Advent Children Version of the song, and also found its lyrics to be more fitting to the character, instead of the blatant Carmina Burana rip-off of the original.... But again, I'm one of those who think music can't be good, nor bad, it's just a matter of "I like/I don't like"..... Music is a kind of media with the potential to strike too many chords on a personal level, is a personal journey of the listener.

I guess the fandom grew sick of OWA because it basically gets always played.... There's a live performance? Expect Opening / Bombing Mission, One-Winged to be there.... We've understood these are good songs, but it wouldn't be bad if... for once... they put on the spotlight some of the less-known ones.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
I guess the fandom grew sick of OWA because it basically gets always played.... There's a live performance? Expect Opening / Bombing Mission, One-Winged to be there.... We've understood these are good songs, but it wouldn't be bad if... for once... they put on the spotlight some of the less-known ones.
Final Symphony to the rescue!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:11 AM

I don't think OWA would sound that great as a chiptune, so it was a wise move on SE's part. It's a pretty good piece, but those chords really are meant for a more varied ensemble.

I'm more curious about the lack of tracks like Gold Saucer, Ahead On Our Way, Farm Boy, Fortress of the Condor, Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony, Cid's Theme, The Forested Temple, ShinRa Army... and so on, All of which I can easily envision as successful chiptune arrangements.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:43 AM

Why the hype of those chiptune arrangements / albums these days anyway? After VII, there will be also an VIII and IX release? It's a nice tribute to ancient days, for sure, and I really enjoyed albums like SQ Chips, but is it necessary to do it that much?

Apart from this, Square Enix, finally PLEASE STOP milking FFVII and its music, it's enough now. Also legends must rest. And personally, I'm glad that OWA isn't on this album!

It's quite a shame that great OSTs like Rudora no Hihou, Live a Live or Front Mission doesn't get the attention they deserve...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
It's quite a shame that great OSTs like Rudora no Hihou, Live a Live or Front Mission doesn't get the attention they deserve...
Live A Live gets a reprint OST and arrangements on the latest three SQ albums though...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:55 AM

Yeah, ok, point for that, but it's nothing compared to their baby FF, which is quite a shame.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

They are making many FF albums because the series is popular.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:40 AM

I see track 2 is a battle theme medley...possibly there?

I like the tracklist, looking forward to this.