VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 1, 2013, 07:01 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

So what are we doing with Joypad releases ?

The album is available on Bandcamp and says published by Gamechops.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:44 AM

But the link directs to Gameshops it's the same for Ridge Racer Arrange.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I take it that Joypad is the publisher of their releases (though not the distributor)?

This digital stuff is really taking off. We need to figure out what we need to change on the site to address it the right way.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:49 AM

Bandcamp is a store front. No different than CD Japan, CD Baby, iTunes, etc. I think anything released on Bandcamp needs to have the label as the publisher and Bandcamp as the purchase link on the right. Anything that doesn't have an associated label can be "self-published" and still have a sale link to Bandcamp.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:13 AM
VGMdb Staff

I don't fully understand this entry - Gamechops is a publisher, doing the same stuff (to some extent - licensing etc.) as Joypad. GC logo is on the cover. GC published this. So Joypad comes in and... is it some kind of joint publishing? Yea don't understand what's the real deal here (or maybe I got everything wrong from the start on 'who's who' part)

btw this edit 'Joypad Records / GameChops' according to our pattern implies Joypad is an imprint of Gamechops, this wasn't the real intention I assume?
If it was meant to show two publishers it should be 'Joypad Records, GameChops'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Bandcamp is a store front. No different than CD Japan, CD Baby, iTunes, etc. I think anything released on Bandcamp needs to have the label as the publisher and Bandcamp as the purchase link on the right. Anything that doesn't have an associated label can be "self-published" and still have a sale link to Bandcamp.
Well no doubt Bandcamp is always a distributor, it's been like that for every vgmdb entry, a vast majority of releases where Bandcamp is the only distributor we have
'Published by [insert artist name here] (distributed by Bandcamp)' aka self-published, so that's all good.

Last edited by Efendija; May 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:10 AM

Joypad licensed the album, accounts for royalties, administers the UPC/ISRCs, and is distributing it to all stores other than Bandcamp. GameChops is acting as the producer for the album, and is the brand under which the release is distributed. For all intents and purposes, the album was jointly "published" by both GameChops and Joypad Records (separate companies; neither as an imprint of the other).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Bandcamp is a store front. No different than CD Japan, CD Baby, iTunes, etc.
Bingo. If we're sticking to industry definitions, Bandcamp is a storefront/digital retailer. Bandcamp isn't a distributor: record labels, imprints, and artists do distribution (sending content off to storefronts). Bandcamp is also not a publisher: publishers administrate rights to compositions or performances. It's perhaps just syntactic distinction to make, but it hopefully clears up some of the roles various folks and companies have with this (and likely many future) releases.

Essentially, "record label" isn't really a useful title anymore, since many aspects of a traditional record label have become antiquated or have been diffused. Producing/publishing/distributing/etc. all are somewhat meaningless labels with many overlapping aspects. iTunes manages licensing in non-US territories. CD Baby and TuneCore can act as publishers and administrate royalties. The big four record labels in the US primarily focus on marketing and placements, aside from their distribution/publishing side.

I'll happily bore you all with more definitions and details. Hope this helps, thanks!

Last edited by GermanSeabass; May 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:31 PM
VGMdb Staff

^ Thanks

Made a page for Gamechops (it's needed anyway for this entry in order to show both entities with our current linking system...)
Should other GC releases become 'commercial'?
Old May 2, 2013, 01:20 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
Should other GC releases become 'commercial'?
This is only my opinion but i'd say no because older releases were made prior to the partnership between GameChops & Joypad Records.
So the current entries were published only by GameChops and were doujins.

Don't also forget that all the release dates between GameChops releases and Joypad Records "re-releases" are differents.

Last edited by Myrkul; May 2, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old May 2, 2013, 01:44 PM
VGMdb Staff

I haven't been following Gamechops so that's why I ask, or to be more precise, if GC had been doing the official licensing biz right from the beginning, then all the releases could have been commercial, but if that isn't the case (and they needed Joypad for licensing) then of course I do understand it's a completely different situation.

Last edited by Efendija; May 2, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
I haven't been following Gamechops so that's why I ask, or to be more precise, if GC had been doing the official licensing biz right from the beginning, then all the releases could have been commercial, but if that isn't the case (and they needed Joypad for licensing) then of course I do understand it's a completely different situation.
Essentially, there are two releases for most of GameChop's older albums. The older doujin releases, and the licensed re-releases.

What determines if a release is "commercial?"
Old May 2, 2013, 03:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Just trying to process the distinction between publisher, distributor, producer, etc. in the digital age. Just thinking though, that if a digital doujin release receives an officially sanctioned release on another label, it should probably get a separate entry, even though we don't currently create child album entries for digital re-releases. There may be some additional downsides to this...
Old May 2, 2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Just trying to process the distinction between publisher, distributor, producer, etc. in the digital age. Just thinking though, that if a digital doujin release receives an officially sanctioned release on another label, it should probably get a separate entry, even though we don't currently create child album entries for digital re-releases. There may be some additional downsides to this...
I suppose the question becomes whether VGMdb's goal supposed to be an comprehensive archive of albums (regardless of who distributed them where in what manner and how many times) or a database more like allmusic/Discogs/Gracenote, which go into details like distribution and multiple releases.
Old May 3, 2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSeabass View Post
Essentially, there are two releases for most of GameChop's older albums. The older doujin releases, and the licensed re-releases.
So is the recent Ridge Racer Arrange album also a joint effort like this?

Quote:
What determines if a release is "commercial?"
Having the license from the original author. Mostly. The definition for doujin is not firmly established, with things like ZUN's own albums being classified as such. Anyway, if GameChops releases are licensed, that would make them commercial.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:05 AM

This got kind of a re-release on Brave Wave's own Bandcamp, and we got additional credits, arrangement sources and revised cover art.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 05:13 PM

Brave Wave = Koopa Soundworks