VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 11, 2015, 06:24 PM

If it's all right, I've offered up a couple of changes to the English translation of this tracklist.

想いをはせて was translated as Ride On a Feeling. This soundtrack has some weird alternate forms for some things, like 迫リ来ル and even 迫リクル instead of 迫り来る for looming. 想いをはせて is a slightly different form of 思いをはせる, which means to have in your thoughts or send your heart out to. When words are written in these different forms, it can be difficult to find them in dictionaries or to identify them if you're not familiar with how things can change form in Japanese, and so はせて, hasete, must have been taken to be a form of haseru, which can mean to ride (though it usually refers to a horse).

君のてのひら was translated as Your Palm. This doesn't proffer very much imagery or meaning and just kind of slaps the basic translations of words down. The Palm of Your Hand is a little more effective.

I'm going to forego making any other changes since things can be translated in a number of different ways. These two just stood out as particularly awkward to me.