VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 23, 2020, 01:50 AM

Looks like this only includes the OST+ separately as MP3s. A missed opportunity to have this soundtrack presented in its full combined sequence.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 08:48 AM

Missed opportunity, but I'm glad they took an opportunity to include the OST Plus at all - I think all of the Revival Discs should have as much of the "b-side" old released content from the NTT and Digicube out of print stuff as possible as extras.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 08:55 AM

The disc we all knew was coming. I assume this will be the last Revival Disc, or at least the last Final Fantasy Revival Disc, since FFX and FFXII have already had Blu-Ray releases for their HD versions, FFXIV and FFXV have had them for their main releases, and the FFXIII series is too recent.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:39 AM

I'm actually not convinced we won't get X. I don't think XI is likely because Priceless Remembrance covers most of the original 2002 release and XII probably overlaps too much with TZA.

I don't think it's too recent for a XIII release! That game came out over ten years ago! I'd love a XIII blu-ray but I doubt they'd do it if they're not going to do XI and XII, though.

Still wondering if we'll see SaGa Frontier and onward from that series.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneofyourbusiness View Post
The disc we all knew was coming. I assume this will be the last Revival Disc, or at least the last Final Fantasy Revival Disc, since FFX and FFXII have already had Blu-Ray releases for their HD versions, FFXIV and FFXV have had them for their main releases, and the FFXIII series is too recent.
It's Square Enix we're talking about here. They're a magnificent company, but they're also brilliant marketing experts, meaning they know where to make money. And the Final Fantasy series is among the most popular of this company, so why would they do not release further Revival Discs after IX ? Aside from that, FFX Blu-ray OST was released some years ago, 2013 I think. And 2021 marks the game's 20th anniversary, so it's the perfect reason to release a FFX Revival Disc that year, same as with FFIX this year. Not sure about FFXI and XII tho, but as the original soundtrack's release for XII is also quite long ago (not counting the arranged TZA release) it would be another chance. Maybe in a few years or so.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 01:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

They're re-releasing the popular stuff, unfortunately.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 03:05 AM

Because the Final Fantasy X HD Remaster Blu-Ray already had all the songs from FFX in Blu-Ray format, plus some from FFX-2, with many of them updated for the HD version. A Final Fantasy X Revival Disc would have the same or lesser content in the same format and repeat all the same accompanying videos. The important thing is the format. They already have a complete FFX soundtrack in this format. At most, they would re-print the FFX HD Remaster Blu-Ray for FFX's anniversary. Same goes for FFXII and the Zodiac Age Blu-Ray.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:25 AM

FFX HD OST actually doesn't use any in-game footage (it's just occasional concept art) which is one of the promotional thrusts of the Revival Disc Series.

Given they still went and used the 2002 tracks for the 30th Anniversary compilation blu-ray along with Revival Disc style video, rather than rip straight from the HD Remaster (which they did for XI and XII, respectively), I doubt the HD soundtrack is going to deter them from releasing a revival disc for X.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:27 PM

So, I have a question about the fidelity of Square's Blu-ray albums. Are the MP3s included on the disc actually better than the Blu-ray audio itself?

According to a lot of topics I've read here concerning their Blu-rays (At least their Final Fantasy ones.), the audio is just about always upscaled from a 16 bit source and suffers from clipping issues and worse dynamic frequency. I remember in the FF X / X-2 HD thread, one user mentioned that the MP3 of one song didn't have clipping, but the Blu-ray equivalent did.

I was considering buying DVDAudioExtractor to make FLAC files from the Blu-ray discs, but might just stick with the MP3s if they are mastered better.