VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:06 PM

Default Not sure if something has already been posted about this...

http://www.en.game-ost.ru/info.php?id=1178

I have the feeling they copy/paste much info from this site and use it there. I found all the OST information I submitted, and much more from this site and other members of course, so I was wondering if you're linked to that site or something... just to ask.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 04:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Our member OST Collector is from there, to his credit he's allowed us to use any disc/album images from his site and he's also added some albums to our database himself. If there's any issues with credits you could PM him.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 05:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Just to extend this a bit, we don't place any restrictions other than to declare any of the original sources and to credit VGMdb if possible, so anyone is permitted to take album and artist information from here and post it on their site.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 05:55 AM

Hey guys, OST Collector is here. I just want to make some things clear.

Secret Squirrel glaldy allow us to repost VGMDB information to Game-OST with proper scan credits notes. We also trying to help VGMDB with some Russian soundtracks (which are very rare) and other soundtrack scans. So, if you see ane uncredited images on Game-OST - please PM me for this, I'm sure we can make everything as it need to be done.

Also, guys, if you have some interest in Russian soundtracks or special Russian Editions (like Half-Life 2 episode 2 soundtrack, which was released ONLY in Russia) - PM me too, we are open for barter

And, thanks for the great encyclopedia resource, VGMDB is numero uno!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 08:41 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am bumping an old thread, because i think the issue kinda evolved with the time.
I am just curious about what you guys think about the following question:

Is there still any interest that an other website/dabatase with clearly less "quality control" than us (due to many reasons.. the website itself with scripts & coding, staff, contributors...) just copy/paste at a t-time what we posted ?? (that include a whole entry, from title to the note field).

- That's clearly a bad idea to just copy/paste freshly posted albums/infos without any confirmation or control.

- Our database is in CONSTANT change & evolution, the entries & tracklists are edited thousands times a day.. They cannot do the same... resulting in a spread of outdated and false information that could have been corrected later.

- Their website is not what is used to be anymore.
It seems like they are now adding any kind of music ? (at least they are now doing film music too).

- They'r just lazy as hell and there's no point being so unrespectful.
The starting idea was ok, it could have been a Russian database, like a little mirror of our for Russians... But it's not!
They'r just copy/pasting the notes without translating anything.

A lesser matter is that i also do feel stolen.
I know we do not hold any rights, it's informations after all, but some of us spend a few hours/day working as voluntary on this website.
I do cherish our database and i don't want to see any other wanabee workers take our hard work.

Last edited by Myrkul; Aug 4, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:27 AM

I don't remember if it was there last time I visited, but if it didn't, each track listing on the game music album pages now has direct links to full music tracks on YouTube (the uploaders of the music being the random myriad YouTube users).

No quality/relevancy control either: The YouTube link of Opening~Bombing Mission from the Final Fantasy VII Original Soundtrack takes you to the Tour de Japon DVD track instead of the in-game version. Actually, that FFVII page is completely random. XP

Last edited by layzee; Aug 4, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:21 AM
Trusted Editor

I guess game-ost is just being merged with movie-ost which explains the tons of different & seemingly unrelated stuff found on the website. It looks about as useful as catx.us or cylist.com, just with a little more effort (a poll to get visitors interested on the main page, with 8 empty choices).
It does have some exclusive content, like their legal downloads, none of which they bothered to add to this DB in return.

Practically worthy of ignoring for me, though I would appreciate if they at least let their bots check our database for corrections to stop publishing outdated information.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul
Is there still any interest that an other website/dabatase with clearly less "quality control" than us (due to many reasons.. the website itself with scripts & coding, staff, contributors...) just copy/paste at a t-time what we posted ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh View Post
Practically worthy of ignoring for me, though I would appreciate if they at least let their bots check our database for corrections to stop publishing outdated information.
They're actually ranked pretty higher in the search engines like Google, often even higher than VGMdb, though. So it's sometimes our replica that someone seeking for information visits first.

I don't have much time to elaborate my thought, but I remember what happened when VGMdb was called Gamingforce Audio, as well as what Chris stated in SEMO when VGMdb was officially launched 4 years ago. Maybe this is just something we should expect in compensation for becoming so huge. There're numerous websites out there to mirror Wikipedia contents, for instance. I'd still appreciate some kind of proper credits to us, if they keep doing such blatant copy-and-paste, but sorry if it sounds so pretentious. I'm also aware it is the public submission which makes VGMdb what it is today, rather than individual endeavors from the limited a few persons, after all.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 05:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm kind of impressed they are able to scrape all that info, and filter out stuff they don't want (Doujins, anime) ... not that it's that hard, but it does take some patience. While it would be nice if they kept the pages updated with our edits, I'm not sure we'd want another active spider trying to continuously replicate the whole site. They seem to be treating us gently with the update-rate, which I appreciate. The real solution is a direct database query API, which we have promised at some point the future, but neither Blah or I have had as much time to devote to coding anything big up over the last year.

But yeah, copying info from us is perfectly permitted. I ask for attribution for scans and such, but I don't think there are any teeth in that request. I think this policy has served us well, even if it appears to be a "deal with the devil" to cover the fact that, yeah, we get some of our information from elsewhere as well (more-so when we first started). Cedille mentioned some of the problems in the early days, and those were rough times in our relations with other sites. There were a few other efforts then to create something like VGMdb, but we differed from them in our public submission policy, and in keeping the information free (though I think GMR was essentially the same on both counts, just not active). We also had an implicit agreement not to try to compete with other sites by becoming the "one-stop VGM information shop." All of this helped us to grow a community of world experts, and that was always the main goal.

It's funny, because I've been pondering an even more risky move -- making the site code open-source. Not because I want someone to fork us, but because it could lead to more code contribution and faster development when Blah and I don't have so much time.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
It's funny, because I've been pondering an even more risky move -- making the site code open-source. Not because I want someone to fork us, but because it could lead to more code contribution and faster development when Blah and I don't have so much time.
That would be very nice but I don't see how that's really feasible considering vBulletin is proprietary (unless it also works without it).
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, that's the biggest obstacle against opensourcing. Unless we re-write most of the site to be independent of vBulletin, which could very well end up happening (the AlbumManager classes I created go some way towards that).
Old Oct 8, 2011, 05:33 AM

Something that may or may not help VGM fans seeking for information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...U0E6MQ&ndplr=1