VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Closed Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Apologies if this has already been reported...

Artists with multiple roles on multiple soundtracks (composer, arranger, performer, etc.) can have their discography filtered based on those roles.

Recently this stopped working for me. By default, composer/arranger/performer/etc. are all checked. Now, unchecking any box delists all albums, not just the ones linked to the artist's role.

So, if there's an artist who is a composer on one album, and an arranger on a different album, and I ask the filter to delist all albums where the artist is an arranger... all albums are delisted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Does the filtering of the artist discographies work as it's supposed to be? Whatever role I uncheck, it just hides anything that doesn't feature composer, which is to say it just shows Doujin and suchlike.
I think I finally managed to fix this problem.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
When going to a new tab under Updates, then click "Next page", and go back to the first page, it'll make the "Previous page" link available on the first page of a tab. Clicking it returns a database error (links to recent.php?do=view_scans&skip=-1):

Fixed this bug.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Any chance to get this old feature working again?
Don't know if is a bug or a removed feature, but I will try to make me understand:
from a parent album entry, an user can click on the cat.number and the database opens the little window with child albums related.
This window shows now only the cat.number and the date release, but some months ago it shows also the type media. Is it a bug or simple has this feature been removed?
I hope it's not the second case cause it was a great shortcut to find the specific media type without "open" all the child entries.
I've put together a new implementation for this. It should work pretty well, but there might be some weird cases for albums with multiple media types (and we shouldn't have too many of those hooked up anyway.)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:42 PM
VGMdb Staff

Great, finally!!!!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:59 AM

I have a bug to report: cedille's avatars
my eyes hurt when I see his avatars (no offense, the chicken avatar was better imo)

any way to filter?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:41 PM

It would be nice to be able to artist linking changes in the edit history as well. As is they are pretty much done invisibly in the background and not possible to track from outside, and as a non-editor/staff I have no clue what buttons to push or what people to bother to get particular artists linked with particular albums. That's not much motivation for adding missing artists. One obvious solution would be having a linking field for new artists were albums can be listed (to be reviewed by the staff as usual) for which the new artist gets created to begin with.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 04:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
It would be nice to be able to artist linking changes in the edit history as well. As is they are pretty much done invisibly in the background and not possible to track from outside, and as a non-editor/staff I have no clue what buttons to push or what people to bother to get particular artists linked with particular albums. That's not much motivation for adding missing artists. One obvious solution would be having a linking field for new artists were albums can be listed (to be reviewed by the staff as usual) for which the new artist gets created to begin with.
Artist linking changes are in the edit history, but they are on the Recent Updates: Artist tab, not the Recent Updates: Album tab. In fact, that whole list is mostly artist linkings, with the occasional new artist or artist page edit.

I'm not sure i understand what you mean about the linking field.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 05:13 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The artist linking suggestion here (unit member link) finds two hallys with the same ID.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Artist linking changes are in the edit history, but they are on the Recent Updates: Artist tab, not the Recent Updates: Album tab. In fact, that whole list is mostly artist linkings, with the occasional new artist or artist page edit.

I'm not sure i understand what you mean about the linking field.
Ok, let me give the particular example which made me post the whole thing to begin with.
The Dark Souls OST has an unlinked horn player by the name Jonathan Hammill who is lead horn player at the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra. So I added him. Can't seem to add the orchestra he works at as organization. Would have to separately write a forum post or PM to notify some staff to link him with the Dark Souls OST as there seems not to be a way for staff easily see that he's there but unlinked, and I can't push that info directly either (through a linking comment field or some such). Instead he now got linked on the TRINITY Zill O'll OST page, but I don't know by whom, the edit history is empty except for my edit, the RSS feed shows the album page edit from far back when he got added as performer, not from when and by whom ge got linked. So I don't know the staff who did that linking and who might not bothered much by me informing about the remaining stuff. Don't care to write a random staff or write a forum post for something worthless like this. As is this is handled so intransparently and unintuitively for non-staff (I sure hope it's better for them) that I wonder why bother.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 06:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh, the album change-log page. Yeah, I need to get artist-linkup added to that. I never really took it as far as I should have, because I don't like the inline diff code, but there's not much i can do about that.

We're supposed to manage links as the edits come through the moderation queue (though sometimes edits will sit in the moderation queue for a while, especially when the site is busy.) Actually, managing the queue is kind of a pain, though we've been making some improvements.

Anyway, we've got solution for your case that I think you'll like.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 01:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
The artist linking suggestion here (unit member link) finds two hallys with the same ID.
That can happen when an artist ends up linked to an album with their own name as an alias. You can't do that normally while linking, but here the artist entry was originally under his real name Haruhisa Tanaka and was later changed to "hally" without the aliased links being updated.

Got that sorted out for you.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:35 AM

"No Linked Artist" option may return every album with a single empty artist field, but I think what we want to know here is a submitted yet unlinked artist.

Perhaps we could have both "Unlinked" and "Empty" options (even better is if we could specify which field it is).
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:54 PM

I don't think it's a bug but when I zoom+ (120% with chrome) the site (with the horizontal menu at the top of the page) I see a sort of | at the right of "Chat"
just being curious of what it is
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We use a sprite for the subnavigation menu:

Looks like Chrome chops off the image a bit inaccurately when you zoom in, so that strip you see is actually the beginning of the "+" button. I guess I should add some more padding between each menu item.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The Intro textarea for organizations is limited to 250 characters, which seems kind of small. In fact, I accidentally just blew away half the text from Little Wing's page, because it seems like that limit was imposed after that blurb was written.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
The Intro textarea for organizations is limited to 250 characters, which seems kind of small. In fact, I accidentally just blew away half the text from Little Wing's page, because it seems like that limit was imposed after that blurb was written.
I had increased this recently, but it looks like I had edited one of our old deprecated templates. I'll correctly fix the active ones.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I just tried adding a new franchise, and I get a database error whenever I try to view it: http://vgmdb.net/product/1010.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I just tried adding a new franchise, and I get a database error whenever I try to view it: http://vgmdb.net/product/1010.
Nice catch. Franchises with no Titles kind of fell through the cracks after my rewrite. They should work now.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Actually, that Kanon franchise page is now showing a whole bunch of unrelated albums.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:13 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Actually, that Kanon franchise page is now showing a whole bunch of unrelated albums.
Apparently I miss the obvious when it's that late at night. Anyway, that query should definitely be skipped when there are no products. I fixed it now.

EDIT - Need to do the same with the recent/upcoming sidebar. I'll do that tonight.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Example album: http://vgmdb.net/album/28579

When linking Masahiro Aoki to an album under his real name, both his main artist entry and his Godspeed alias entry come up as suggestions, and the popup menu isn't red like it usually would be when there are multiple suggestions.

This doesn't seem to happen with other artists with alias entries; I tried Tomomi Teratani, Kouta Kato, and Shinya Watabe and couldn't replicate it. So I'm not sure if there's a bug or there's just an errant link in the database messing things up or something.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Example album: http://vgmdb.net/album/28579

When linking Masahiro Aoki to an album under his real name, both his main artist entry and his Godspeed alias entry come up as suggestions, and the popup menu isn't red like it usually would be when there are multiple suggestions.

This doesn't seem to happen with other artists with alias entries; I tried Tomomi Teratani, Kouta Kato, and Shinya Watabe and couldn't replicate it. So I'm not sure if there's a bug or there's just an errant link in the database messing things up or something.
This was a very weird corner case, but I've fixed it. Thanks for finding and reporting it.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:43 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Awesome, but do you know why Godspeed is even showing up as a suggestion at all? As far as I can tell, that alias entry isn't linked as "Masahiro Aoki" on any albums, and alias subentries don't show up as suggestions for other artists when linking their real names. See this album: http://vgmdb.net/album/2620. The MANYO entry doesn't show up as a suggestion for Tomomi Teratani.

And I don't tell you thanks enough for all you do, so here's a big ol' thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh, figured it out. It's not a bug. The name Masahiro Aoki was entered in the Given and Family name fields on the Godspeed page. I removed that, and now it's as expected.

(So in other words, that weird corner case I fixed is probably something that's impossible to happen unless there's a data entry error.)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
Trusted Editor

Did something break with the hover font when hovering artist names to display kanji? It's broken in all my browsers. Unless my default Arial font broke... I'm not sure how to explain it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40726643/kanji.png
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't have this problem on any browser. Did you try rebooting? It kind of looks like your system doesn't know how to display Japanese fonts at the moment.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
Trusted Editor

I can display JP fonts, just doesn't work for hover for some reason. Same thing in IE 8 and Chrome.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Looks like the system font (or whatever font that's used in the tooltip) doesn't support unicode glyphs. Try re-installing your asian language font packs (maybe removing and re-installing asian language support?)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:21 PM
Trusted Editor

I don't think you can "reinstall" asian language font support in Windows 7. It's just there by default. It doesn't have that same option that XP does.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:54 PM

when I search "final fantasy" -iv -v -vi -vii -viii -ix -x -xi -xii -xiii
some NOT things aren't omitted
Closed Thread