VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements > Submission Guideline Restructuring
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 1, 2010, 06:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Submissions - Release Type (Distribution Type)

Current Guidelines
Quote:
Distribution Type is based on availability, in descending order.
  • General
    An album that was commercially sold or distributed openly, including online releases.
  • Limited Edition
    Limited edition counterpart of a commercial release, usually with alternate packaging or extra content.
  • Enclosure
    Catch-all type for albums that were never commercially sold as standalone releases, but distributed as part of a goods package (such as a videogame or magazine). Note that enclosure albums sometimes have their own catalogue number.
  • First Press Bonus
    Bonus item provided by the publisher as part of a goods package for a limited initial pressing.
    If the bonus is included in all pressings, use the Enclosure type instead.
  • Preorder Bonus
    Bonus item provided by the publisher only for preorders.
  • Retailer Bonus
    Exclusive bonus item distributed only by a particular vendor, for example Amazon or Sofmap.
  • Event Only
    Albums sold exclusively through events or conventions. Note that doujin/indie albums that were initially released at conventions but later made available through doujin shops should be labeled as General.
  • Promo/Gift/Reward
    Promotional items with extremely limited printings, prizes awarded to contest winners and so on.
Changelog
Quote:
  • 6 May 2010 -- (Retail -> General) under Event Only description
  • 7 Jun 2010 -- Promo/Gift -> Promo/Gift/Reward
Technical Changes to Implement
Quote:
Proposed Changes for Discussion
Quote:
Old May 1, 2010, 06:24 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't recall any specific change proposals, but the floor is open for any new ideas.
Old May 1, 2010, 07:34 AM

A couple suggestions/questions from me.

- Rename First Press Bonus to First Press/Early Purchase bonus (if they're the same in VGMdb, as Blah said).
- Addition of another release type to cover something like Club Nintendo albums, or rewrite the instruction message of "Promo/Gift" so that those album can fit this type.

By the way, when the first printing of an album has something exclusive so the media contents may differ in a later printing (e.g. Frontier Work drama albums, Motoaki Furukawa's solo albums), should we still select "Limited Edition", or should we wait until a second printing is confirmed? This database has a dozen of "Limited Edition" entries without corresponding "Regular Edition" entries such as this (they're mostly added by me, though, so it may be my fault), and I have become more uncomfortable with them.
Old May 1, 2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
- Rename First Press Bonus to First Press/Early Purchase bonus (if they're the same in VGMdb, as Blah said).
That may cause some additional confusion. What's would be the difference between "Early Purchase" and "Preorder"?
Old May 1, 2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
That may cause some additional confusion. What's would be the difference between "Early Purchase" and "Preorder"?
Oh, yeah. Preorder Bonus virtually often ends up becoming Early Purchase Bonus (in retrospect, I think I also wondered the same thing). Perhaps I'd revert that post or would request a merge with Preorder instead. Or we may not need this type, in the first place.
Old May 8, 2010, 09:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
By the way, when the first printing of an album has something exclusive so the media contents may differ in a later printing (e.g. Frontier Work drama albums, Motoaki Furukawa's solo albums)
I'd also like clarification about this. Adding child albums seems an overkill (often are clones except for one missing track) and for many albums it's pretty much impossible to get real info about later printings. Maybe some kind of checkbox for "first print has bonus stuff"?
Old May 1, 2010, 05:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There's a distinction -- preorder bonuses are only acquired within the preorder window before the game is released, while first press bonuses can be acquired upon release. I'm going by the types that publishers themselves use. I confess I didn't quite know what Early Purchase meant, I though it was "purchase made within a short period after release".

Also, the "Retail" under the "Event Only" description should be changed to "General", I guess.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:12 AM

Well, for me differentiating between "preorder/early purchase" and "first press" is very easy: The former is a product offer limited to costumers who are faster than others. The latter is an offer included in the first production run, with subsequent production runs not including it anymore. It the "first press/early purchase" combination which throws me out of the loop since it combines (as just described) two totally different things, of which one is already pretty much covered by "preorder" (and I would not make a hard distinction between "preorder" and "early purchase" since in many cases shop employees tend to give away "preorder" bonuses to other purchasers as well if they got more of them than actual preorders).
Old May 8, 2010, 06:02 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Also, the "Retail" under the "Event Only" description should be changed to "General", I guess.
Done.

Quote:
- Addition of another release type to cover something like Club Nintendo albums, or rewrite the instruction message of "Promo/Gift" so that those album can fit this type.
So it seems like Early Purchase would fit in with Preorder.

What about the Club Nintendo albums? Are they just given out to members of the club (maybe through redeeming points or something)? How about Promo/Gift/Reward?
Old May 14, 2010, 05:17 AM

Personally, I'd prefer we don't add a regular edition nor do we select Limited Edition for the first printing until somebody confirms a later printing. I know some might argue though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
What about the Club Nintendo albums? Are they just given out to members of the club (maybe through redeeming points or something)? How about Promo/Gift/Reward?
I'm fine with this.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 07:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I'm fine with this.
Oops, I forgot to do this.

Promo/Gift is now Promo/Gift/Reward
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:23 PM

Thanks, but preferably, we can rewrite the instruction message as well.

Quote:
Promo/Gift
Promotional items with extremely limited printings, prizes awarded to contest winners and so on.
(...btw, as posted elsewhere, how should we deal the release date of those albums?)
Old May 10, 2010, 07:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If the first print just has some extra materials in the case, then we don't always add it. However, if it has an extra track, we must add it for the Freedb.
Old May 10, 2010, 01:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Ok, then for albums with first printint=extra track I suppose it's ok to add the "limited edition" info even if when we have no info on the regular edition, like Cedille says?
Old May 14, 2010, 10:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Ok, no limited edition if no later printing is added. I'm just trying to be consistent, since I was tweaking/adding Frontier Works albums and was unsure what to do.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Release dates of promos and gifts are going to be approximate at best.

Release dates of prizes should be the day the winners are announced. I know there was some talk about shipping dates, but the winner announcement date is the only date that is likely to be preserved somewhere.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
but the winner announcement date is the only date that is likely to be preserved somewhere.
Um, I think we may need an official discussion on this.

I'd agree the announcement date is the best, but in most cases, the announcement wasn't made in the public and winners knew the result for the first time when the delivery service rang the doorbell... I think the shipping date is a little more traceable because the winners might have made a forum/blog post about it. As for Rewards album, things may get even more complicated. There are some pretty high-profile entries typified by Club Nintendo albums, and I think submitters have different policies on the release date (for instance, the current date of SMG2 soundtrack is the anticipated date when Nintendo will start shipping).
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Why wasn't there an announcement? That doesn't even make sense, because the whole purpose of a contest is publicity.

Anyway, we can discuss it more officially when we get to release date, which is the next field we'll be covering.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:46 PM

Btw, when a promo album is enclosed with the limited edition of a game, and the limited edition is only distributed by a specific distributor, which should we select, "Enclosure" or "Retailer Bonus"?

Seems like we don't have a consensus (and I contribute lots to the inconsistency).
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There's a distinction between retailer and distributor -- retailers refer to shops like Amazon, Toranoana and so on. If the bonus item is "exclusive only to <insert shop name> customers" and such, it's a retailer bonus.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:01 PM

So if an album is enclosed with the limited edition of the game which we can order only from shops like e-Capcom or Gust shop, should we select "Retailer Bonus" rather than "Enclosure"?

I'm talking about albums like them.
http://vgmdb.net/album/10414
http://vgmdb.net/album/14351
http://vgmdb.net/album/18731
http://vgmdb.net/album/19990
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:45 PM

Those are retailers, so I'd say so, yeah.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks, so I'll adjust those entries later.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:35 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Whoops, missed this. I should clarify that if the limited edition package is available only through a certain retailer, it should just be "limited edition bonus" since it's included with all copies of the limited edition.

"Retailer bonus" should only be used if it's possible to obtain the package without the particular bonus. Or if it's explicitly stated as such.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:33 PM

Then, if no objection has been presented since our last discussion, may I request a name change to "Preorder/Early Purchase Bonus"? As Datschge pointed out, both are often essentially the same thing.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've made the change (though it's kind of lengthy now). I think I only had to change it in one place, but do let me know if it's still unchanged in some list.
Old May 20, 2016, 09:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So when an album is enclosed in a book, and that book is a preorder bonus, what distribution type takes precedence: Enclosure or Preorder Bonus? http://vgmdb.net/album/58737
Old May 20, 2016, 09:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

For event only enclosures (like any Key comiket set) we use Enclosure, so I'd say Enclosure is fine there as well? Not sure if we're too consistent with that though.

Last edited by Illidan; May 20, 2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:13 PM
VGMdb Administrator

If an album is originally released in a restricted way and then given a general commercial release later, do we promote its status or leave it with the original distribution type?

Specific case is here, which was previously Event Only (although Retailer Bonus may have been better for it): http://vgmdb.net/album/60551
Old Jan 18, 2017, 07:22 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
If an album is originally released in a restricted way and then given a general commercial release later, do we promote its status or leave it with the original distribution type?

Specific case is here, which was previously Event Only (although Retailer Bonus may have been better for it): http://vgmdb.net/album/60551
I'd say change it to commercial, but leave a note saying that it was originally event-only.