VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Default Collection Export Suggestions

We've currently begun discussing the planning of adding an option to export your album collection. We would like to hear from you to ask what formats and options you would like to see. Please read the suggestions and questions below, and post your thoughts here.

Spoiler:

Initial Suggestions (Elaboration and Confirmation Required)
Quote:
  • Allow selection of fields to export.
  • Format export as text.
  • Format export as XML.
  • Format export as CSV.
  • Format export as HTML.
  • Include cover art in export.
  • Include tracklist in export.
Initial Questions About Initial Suggestions
Quote:
  • Which fields would you like to choose from?
  • Would there be any significant benefit of including tracklists in the export?
  • Would there be any significant benefit of including cover art in the export?
  • If cover art is included, which pieces/sizes should be included?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:22 PM

Personally, I would be interested in being able to export the user-defined folder, catalog number and album name (similar to what shows up in the My Collection screen), but I'm not sure I would need anything else.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:02 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I'd like to export vmgdb as an offline version
but of course with albums only in your collection.
Text only version, no covers (or just a small display front one)

That just would be awesome but i guess that's not gonna be possible.
So.. maybe a very short list with a few choices of sorting (by cat number or by album title or by release date)
In fact that could really looks like the results you get in any search on vgmdb.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 03:50 AM

Anything that works with CDPedia would be great!
http://www.bruji.com/cdpedia/
Old Apr 1, 2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
* Which fields would you like to choose from?
Everything from catalog number to list of performers (middle/top of page), category to platforms represented (right side of page), covers, related albums, tracklist, and notes section.

Quote:
* Would there be any significant benefit of including tracklists in the export?
* Would there be any significant benefit of including cover art in the export?
I'd like to see a "basic" export feature, most likely in CSV format with just a few fields. Something like this..

(albumtitle),(catalognumber),(releasedate),(price) in whatever order the user chooses.

Then in addition to the basic export, I'd love an advanced export too. This is where all the info comes in, album art, tracklist, everything. I'd imagine it would need to export as an HTML file? And for large bits of info like albums with a huge list of artists (hi FFXIII) or lots of notes (hello again FFXIII), make some kind of "show more details" button that makes the extended info show, rather than have everything show up on the page by default, which would initially look way too cluttered. I'd say the album art (the default/front cover only) needs to be displayed from the start though, since that's a very attractive thing to look at and really catches the eye when browsing someone's collection.

Quote:
* If cover art is included, which pieces/sizes should be included?
For my advanced export above, I would say just the front cover is shown by default in it's small size (the one that shows on the main album page). Then maybe provide links to all the artwork, including the front again, in full size under my proposed "show more details" option.

Here's a mock-up of what I mean. Obviously the colors, fonts, etc. are all customizable during the export process. Clicking the "Show..." links would ideally expand the table vertically to reveal whatever information the person wants to see.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Personally, I would be interested in being able to export the user-defined folder, catalog number and album name (similar to what shows up in the My Collection screen), but I'm not sure I would need anything else.
That's exactly what I'm intersted in. As text. Though, it'd be nice to add the release dates, too.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:27 AM

On this topic, I would really like to be able to export an user defined selection of any possible album field as CSV and XML.
An HTML link to the online album page would then also be interesting as selectable field, to access the complete album infos (tracklist, pictures).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:21 AM

Speaking of Exporting... What about a .zip file option for cover art. So you don't have to go to each image and save them. You could just get them all at once.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:36 PM
Trusted Editor

I would stress against advanced export options. You're going to get people adding every album to their collection to get a dump of the data.

Catalogue number, current album name, folder hierarchy for your collection should suffice for any collection. You could try and support proprietary collection formats like cdpedia or Collectorz.com stuff but honestly as an active member of the site I would like to see your (already limited) resources put into more useful site features like page improvement, some of the various enhancement requests and bug fixes, and improvements to the database architecture.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:14 AM

I'll admit i don't have the smallest clue about how things work (or might work) with this kind of stuff, please forgive/correct me if i'm saying bullshit. I see the ability to download covers set(s) as .zip file(s) useless and potentially dangerous... for a few reasons:

1) Server loads/Hard Disk space - The site would have to host the images for the galleries and, in addition to that, the aforementioned .zip file(s).... Thus doubling the occupied space. I don't need to speak of the possible issues with bandwidth, i hope.

2) Archives' content update - Let's suppose that more covers for an album get added, or they get added in "better" quality, the staff would have to check and eventually reupload a new archive (as i've previously stated, i don't know if the process could even be automated).... getting more workload.

3) *Most important for last* Main goal of this website - In the words of whom I believe was Gigablah, the scans on VGMdb are provided as a be-all/end-all source of information. While they can be downloaded, they're not here to be downloaded (hopefully i've expressed myself clearly).... I don't think they really need to make things easier for the user on this side of the "matter".

And, just out of curiosity, how much effort do you need to put into doing a few clicks? You view the scan->right-click->choose the desired folder->click "Save".

4) Hidden, trivial reason just for the lulz - If i remember correctly there is another site, somewhat similar to this, which offers download of album scans as archives.

Last edited by ilef; Dec 16, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:26 AM
Trusted Editor

You could zip on the fly but that's besides the point. I don't think there really needs to be an easily accessible reason to download cover art for collections.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:48 AM

Yeah, I just browse the images online as needed. Why would I want to batch save it locally?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:11 PM

I'm not sure vgmdb should become a sort of megaupload etc. (for scans)
however, people could make some rar files and submit a link to a file-hosting site (a user had proposed links for png scans iirc)

maybe not on the album pages, but on the forums
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:21 PM
Trusted Editor

Storing zips would be retarded, if that happens it would be done on the fly.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 03:35 PM

So, no export feature yet?

How about an android app like this one?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droidpro&hl=en

THAT would ROCK!