VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:34 PM

Default The First Listen

What you listen to music on is serious business video

Well then. It's time to discuss what you prefer to hear the music you listen to played on when you put that cd in for the first time.

I tend to play cds first in my car. If I know the game soundtrack is from a non-action game or slow-paced I will play it on speakers at home. I avoid listening to cds first on headphones unless the soundtrack sounds like idm or the like.

Last edited by Vert1; Jun 20, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:16 AM

But if I want to keep my hearing for the next track, I'll try something along the lines of a Logitech Z313 set.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:12 AM
Trusted Editor

I tend to listen to my discs primarily through headphones (AKG k701) at home. When I know that I've got to move a lot, e.g. while doing house chores, I use my speakers.

For the first listen I almost always use the AKGs, since they quickly reveal all of the details of the tracks.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:03 PM

My "virgin" listen usually happens at work, using my B2 Brainwavz IEM's, Zo amplifier and Cowon D2. I listen straight through and cut out tracks I probably won't revisit. So basically, it is pass/fail or just straight out gutting unwanted tracks. I save the rating for the follow-up listens, since it takes me longer to decide if a track is a favorite than it does to decide if I don't like something.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:54 AM

When I get a new video game soundtrack, I usually use my Playstation 3 or computer for my "first listen". Then I burn them to my computer's hard drive, so that I don't have to open the case and take the disc out every time I want to listen to it. Knowing my luck one of the times I would drop it, get finger prints on it, or everyone's favorite mess up which is a scratch. Once it's burned on my computer, I transfer which soundtracks go on my Sony Walkman with headphones. I usually swap out my soundtracks on my player so that I don't get bored of one particular album. I will say this though, listening to "that" soundtrack the very first time especially something that you have been wanting/looking for is one of life's simple pleasures. While expensive to purchase, listening to my vgm collection is one of my favorite things to do! :-)