VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 21, 2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
古代祐三氏がはじめてトランスミュージックにチャレンジした入魂の名曲たち!
ゲームアレンジバージョンでお楽しみください。サントラ未収録曲もこちらで聴く事ができます。

※ここでダウンロードできる曲は「湾岸ミッドナイトMAXIMUM TUNE」のゲーム機で使用されているものです。
「湾岸ミッドナイトMAXIMUM TUNE2」およびオリジナルサウンドトラックで使用されている曲とは異なります。
Quote:
この「マキシ1バージョンのBGMダウンロード」は、個人的に楽しんでいただくために提供しております。し たがって、上記目的以外にご利用いただくことはできません。ご了承ください。今後ともこのような企画を行い たいと考えておりますので、皆様のご協力をお願いいたします。
There might be some other useful info in there (in particular, the bolded part) but I can't do it yet.

Hmm, actually I'm confused...

Quote:
※ここでダウンロードできる曲は「湾岸ミッドナイトMAXIMUM TUNE」のゲーム機で使用されているものです。 LINK
That line appears to say that the website songs are played in the actual arcade machine and this:

Quote:
サントラ未収録曲を含む、ゲームアレンジバージョンのBGMがダウンロード可能です!! LINK
Appears to say that the website songs are the arranged versions.

Perhaps someone can translate the above better than me and work out which Wangan Midnight soundtracks can be classified as arranged and which as original.

Last edited by layzee; May 21, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 03:25 PM

Well I just listened to a few of them, and more than arranged, I'd say they're differently mastered. They're exactly the same songs, no composition changes at all, but they a bit different, probably with a lot more treble overall. Some sound more or less the same, others slightly better and others worse (like Total Terror, which I think sounds much better in the album version).
There's one new arranged track, tho, which is track 2 like you said, layzee. A trancy remix of Stream of Tears. The rest are probably the same as in the album.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:32 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

They're not mastered differently, they're mixed differently. (Most people don't know the exact difference between the terms, but mastering focuses almost exclusively on subtle volume, panning, and EQ adjustments at the final stage of a production, typically in preparation for being released on an album.)

You can hear majorly differences between the two versions of Maxi 1, which is something that would only be done in the mixing stage. For example, in this version of Blue Blazes, you can hear a hi-hat playing 16th notes at the beginning of the track. In the WMMT2 OST, it's not even there. Of course, don't let that fool you, because the WMMT2 mixes seem a lot tighter (and newer) from initial inspection.

Unless there are any objections, I'd like to update the album notes to reflect this.

P.S. "Stream Of Tears(more tranced mix)" is obviously a new track; a very different mix than the original.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Dec 5, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 05:44 AM

Well, it's been 8 years since my opening post and the Japanese I quoted now looks a lot more comprehensible. A (may or may not be liberal) translation of it follows:

Quote:
The Maestro Yuzo Koshiro takes the plunge into Trance music for the first time and puts his all into these songs! Please enjoy this game arrange version. You can also hear songs not released on the soundtrack.

※The songs that can be downloaded here are used in the "Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune" arcade cabinet and differ from the songs used in "Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2" and the original soundtrack.

The "Maxi 1 Version BGM Download" is provided for individual enjoyment and cannot be used for any other purpose. We hope for the continued cooperation and acceptance of our request by our valued customers.
I'm not an arcade or Wangan expert but it seems like these songs were used in the WMMT1 arcade cabinet while the WMMT2 cab (which also includes WMMT1) uses mixed versions. Note how WMMT1 never had its own individual official soundtrack.

Off topic but the WMMT games are never gonna be released on consoles, aren't they.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 07:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
I'm not an arcade or Wangan expert but it seems like these songs were used in the WMMT1 arcade cabinet while the WMMT2 cab (which also includes WMMT1) uses mixed versions. Note how WMMT1 never had its own individual official soundtrack.
Yeah that seems to line up with my assumption that I made in the 10th anniversary box thread. Thanks for the translation, layzee! =}