VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 4, 2008, 08:45 AM

Default Firefox VGMdb Search Plugin

Any chance of you guys making a search plugin for Firefox? You know, for the handy search box thing in the upper right corner of the browser. I use the Context Search add-on as well and man, having a VGMdb search plugin and that working together would be ideal. Just imagine.. visiting a web site and seeing a catalog number, artist name, album name, whatever.. then being able to highlight it and with two clicks having the VGMdb search results open up in a new tab. Ideally, there'd be separate plugins. One for the "general" search (which would simulate typing something in the search box without using any advanced options) and others that could be for artists (English or Japanese), game title, etc.

Pleeeeease?

-Mike
Old Jul 4, 2008, 08:58 AM

That sounds like a fun/useful project. I might jump on that if I find some free time...
Old Jul 4, 2008, 09:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We do have OpenSearch (Firefox autodetects it and you can add it to the list of search engines using the dropdown):

I'll take a look at context search sometime.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
We do have OpenSearch (Firefox autodetects it and you can add it to the list of search engines using the dropdown)
Oh wow nice, didn't notice that before. Is that something new with Firefox 3.0? Don't remember ever seeing it when using 2.0 but I could just be blind. Anyway, yeah that works nicely with the context search for searching by album or catalog number, and it even supports Japanese characters! The only other two we'd really need are artist and game searches. Or maybe you can have it so the one Firefox uses now acts as a "catch all" for any of those fields so you can search the album, artist, or game name and it'll come up with results for all three on the same page?

-Mike
Old May 12, 2009, 04:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Just an update: our OpenSearch definition has been updated to the new URL format, which also works with Internet Explorer.

All that's left is to have the ability to return XML results. Oh, and searches for artists, organizations and products...

Edit: and this will add the VGMdb search button to your Google toolbar:
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:33 PM

Just a thought....

You can also just add "vgmdb" to a list of google search terms.