VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 2, 2013, 09:46 PM

Does anybody know why we have this CD as crediting Takayuki Aihara and Takanori Otsuka? Does the booklet say that? The specific composer information would make me think so, but the game credits say music composed and arranged by, in order:
Takanori Otsuka
Hiroyuki Kawada
Masahiro Fukuzawa
Hiroto Sasaki
Takayuki Ishikawa
Akihiko Ishikawa

And then it says Aihara did the arranged version of the music, which is included as an alternate BGM mode you can choose in the Playstation version of the game. But all the arranged stuff is a just a synth upgrade of the original arcade music, no new tracks. This album has the arcade music, so presumably Aihara wouldn't have been involved at all according to the game.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:14 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I checked JASRAC and they have Otsuka as the composer of 2, 11, 16, and 20, and Aihara for the rest. ¯\(º_o)/¯
Old Aug 3, 2014, 08:12 PM

I'm looking through the booklet and the main interview by Otsuka, plus in the credits page it shows him as the producer and mastering engineer from Namco and somebody else by TASC Inc. In one of the mini interviews, Aihara seems to be talking about the quality to version 2 of the game. It states him as programmer before his name.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 07:39 AM

I just bought this album despite avoiding it for years because the platforms represented says ARCADE, but in all honesty, this sounds like the PlayStation's remastered music to me. What's on this disc sounds better than the DL that's listed here: (https://vgmdb.net/album/15952) which says Sony PlayStation.

I'll have to check out the DL again (I'll have to go on itunes at some point) but I think the platforms on these albums are switched. I remember buying this DL and being angry that it wasn't the PS music. Never in a million years would I have though the disc based version would be the PlayStation music and the DL would be the arcade.

Anyway, I'm so happy I bought this one and got an awesome surprise!

Edit:

Sorry, I didn't see the additions to the thread in the other album I linked. I guess we've already come to the consensus that this this the better sounding music compared to the arranged DL.

Last edited by Brad Evans II; Jun 11, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 07:48 AM

that soul edge/blade arcade machine used modet PS1 hardware that's why maybi it's sounds like PS1 music =)